October 23, 2014

Invasion: The Last Wave Goodbye (finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 18th 2006 9:16AM

Invasion; ABC(S01E22) I really don't think ABC understands what they're giving up here. Granted this wasn't the best episode of the season. But as far as season finales go, this is right up there. Things you wanted addressed were taken care of and the cliffhanger... man, I never saw that coming. The only gripe I had was the middle. There was a lot of filler and it took some patience to get to the good stuff. I'm glad I waited.

We picked up right where last week left off with Szura's gang pushing people into the water to do a dance with the orange aliens. Tom and Russell put up a fight though. They bust out their guns and take out a ton of the hybrids. Just in time too because Dave and Louis finally show up with Colonel Lopez and the Air Force. Szura, being the smart guy that he is, grabs Mariel (four of the pregnant ladies too) and drives off with them. Game on.

Morning arrives, and Tom and Russell take off after Mariel and Szura. Louis takes Larkin, Dave, and the children home. Before they can leave, Brett (Jesse's football buddy) takes them all hostage with the help of some other jerk. They take everyone back to Tom's because they still think he's behind all this.

Meanwhile, Tom and Russell find Szura in some abandoned building. Tom chases his former pal around and eventually puts about a dozen bullets into him. So rest assured, Szura is dead. Then Tom gets a phone call and takes off without Russell and Mariel, but we'll come back to that.

The pregnant ladies are ready to give birth to whatever is inside them. They want to go to the water (it's instinct), so Mariel and Russell drive the four of them to the shore. Three of them walk right in and get pulled under. The fourth lady collapses on the beach. I thought she was dead, especially after Mariel couldn't find a pulse. But then it happened. One of the creatures (I still think they look like giant horseshoe crabs) came out of the water and pulled the woman in. It was creepy.

Back to Tom, the call he got? Jesse on the radio. So Tom rushes home to find the kids upstairs and Larkin, Dave, and Louis locked in a closet. Brett, at this point, had given up on the cause and wanted to leave. His buddy didn't. Tom wrestled the idiot to the ground but not before his gun went off once. A single bullet. Right through the closet door. Larkin took it in the chest and her lung collapses fast.

Everybody tries to help, but Louis can't get anyone on the radio or the phone. The town is in disarray, it's martial law. No ambulance is going to get there in time and Tom doesn't know where Mariel is. It quickly becomes clear that there's only one way to keep Larkin alive.

Tom brings her to the shore... and sends her off into the water! Russell and Mariel show up too after they saw Tom's car. The episode ends as Russell asks Tom, "What'd you do?"

This leaves so many questions. I think the aliens will still take Larkin's body. She's shot, not sick. Plus the pregnancy is an added bonus. Does her child immediately convert to hybrid status as well? Also, this confirms Tom's worth for me. He had good intentions here, even if it's a little twisted. He just didn't want her to die.

After all this, if we don't get a second season of this show... I don't know what to say. This first season was one hell of a ride though.

Jordi

No lo veis que Invasion es una tomadura de pelo? He seguido las dos temporadas de Lost y es lo mismo: improvisar el guión y mantener a la audiencia enganchada. Una nueva forma de hacer televisión... dios

August 02 2006 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
a. davis

Please sign the petition to the network to save Invasion. Even if it seems the final nail has hit the coffin with Fichtner joining Prison Break, there still is hope for at least a mini-series wrap-up. The show could even go on without him...
Please sign! Go to:

July 05 2006 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FRANKIE

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THE INVASION SERIES. IT IS ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS OUT THERE AND BELIEVE ME THERE AREN'T MANY TO CHOOSE FROM. MY 12 YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER AND I WATCH THIS FAITHFULLY EVERY WEEK. THIS IS OUR BONDING TIME. I GOT HER INTERESTED IN IT AND SHE LOVES THE SHOW. SHE IS AS UPSET AS I AM ON THE RUMORED CANCELLATION OF THE SHOW. WE ESPECIALLY LOVE THE ACTORS WHO PLAY TOM AND RUSSELL. I REMEMBER THE GUY TOM FROM MY SOAP OPERA, AS THE WORLD TURNS. I LOVED HIM THEN AND I LOVE HIM NOW. AND RUSSELL FROM THE SHOW THIRD WATCH. I LOOKED FORWARD EACH WEEK TO SEEING THESE TWO GREAT LOOKING GUYS. IF ABC CANCELS WON'T SOME OTHER STATION PLEASE PICK THEM UP.

June 26 2006 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liliana Ferreri

I don't understand how a mini-series can come to television, draw people in, get people hooked watching from week to week, and then the series is pulled off before it ends... who is to judge what is enough viewers ratings and what is not. As long as you have viewers, and the series has aired till there are only so many episodes left a series "should not" be pulled.
This was done with Taken also, and I for one am quite upset that television feels they can do this. YET, disgusting garbage that contains all kinds of nudity, foul language, sex, and anything degrading is allowed to be aired any time of the day at all hours, no matter that there are too many young viewers who will watch this filth. Let the mini-series finish in thier entirety, so we can enjoy the endings.

June 18 2006 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patty Karch

I, too, am an Invasion fan and the show and its actors are truly amazingly realistic. The story-line was captivating and we didn't miss an episode. When I heard that ABC was cancelling this excellent show, I just couldn't believe it. A lot of people, including myself are so sick of these CSI and Law & Order Shows - all seem the same to me. Invasion was something different and the actors were supurb. So realistic. The final show was great but more like a cliffhanger to me. It made the viewer want to come back for more. Please re-consider this decision to cancel such a fine, entertaining show. They even left viewers hanging by having it go into hiatus in the middle of the season! The show didn't have a chance to find its audience. I know it's all about the numbers and the numbers mean money - but, some shows are given chance after chance (like 'Yes, Dear' and 'Still Standing,' which were the worst shows ever and they lasted for years! Pleae re-consider and give this fine show a fair chance - or, at least a closure. Thanks! Patty K. :-)

June 01 2006 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tiffany

I can't believe I'm so wrapped up in a show that I'm looking online for others to mourn with!! I LOVED this show. It was by far my favorite show of the season. It was a nice break from all of the crime dramas on tv now. I HOPE HOPE HOPE that someone picks it up!! I need closure!!

May 22 2006 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy Fisher

Im absolutely gutted the way invasion finished. Ive been a dedicated watcher and fan since it began. But now I am only stunned by the ending, not knowing what happens to Larkin especially and how Tom is going to explain about it. I had a sleepless night thinking about it. Its just got to come back and hopefully very soon.

May 22 2006 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
craig

what an ending the abc suck, all they do is cancel is fantastic shows like invasion. what a cliffhanger a two hour tv movie to give it closure would be great or even a book, i just need to know what happens next.

May 21 2006 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I'm tired of these networks cancelling these great shows. Surface was tossed and now Invasion. How can these stupid 1/2 hour shows last years and years and something with meaning and suspense be kicked to the curb. There has to be some closure. Wednesday's were the best night of television. First LOST, and then the "dessert" of Invasion. The cast had such a dynamic with each other. Please...Please...Please...Some network (SCI-FI???) has to pick Invasion up. I need more of Eddie's dimples. Wednesday's I went to bed with a huge smile on my face.

May 21 2006 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Billie Kathryn

I agree with everyone who has griped about having no closure to any of the plots conjured up in this series. However, has anyone considered the fact that the networks don't really give a hoot about how we feel? Their only concern is MONEY.....the backers who pay big bucks to advertise on their network, during certain shows. Perhaps Invasion just wasn't their cup of tea, though for the most part, it suited a major majority of the viewers. Keep your faith everyone. Let's continue to hope someone will pick the series up and it will run for years and years like ER and other series. Make the alphabet network sorry they gave it up!!!

May 21 2006 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply