Lost ratings at all-season low

by Anna Johns, posted May 18th 2006 9:22PM
lost logoDespite all the mania surrounding Lost, there is apparently a lot more mania surrounding American Idol. Last night's episode of Lost had its lowest ratings of the season (lowest, anyway, for a new episode). Even though it was the lead-up to the season finale, it couldn't stand up to the awesome power of the American Idol results show. This is amazing to me because that results show is crap. There's no need to actually watch it. Just log onto the internet, people!

Last night, Idol averaged 27.1 million viewers and a 10.5 rating/25 share while Lost averaged 14.2 million viewers and a 5.9 rating/14 share. Yowza. I think things are only going to get worse for Lost next week.

Aaron Peck

Something that really needs to go is people that think they are clever using the word LOST to describe anything about Lost. You are not clever, and people on messege boards, believe it or not, have used it before. Yes, we are all in AWE of your intelligence when you say "I think this show is LOST." Or something to the same effect. Please, stop. You aren't as clever as you think, I promise you.

May 21 2006 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gloria

if lost wouldnt be so lost in the telling of this story maybe the ratings would be up but between back flash memories and the dang others it became too much and we didnt have to worry if we missed a show between the back flash memories and reruns over and over you wore out the story just tell me were you at ill send help

May 21 2006 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenivc

LOST is ratings dependent ..if not now then in the future..24 wraps all strands up in 24 shows. LOST is open ended and when the writers get LOST, interest will tank and it will be LOST forever...it is all business.

May 20 2006 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

Josh is right about the stretching out.With a show as complex as this,these hiatuses make no sense.I would rather they did like Fox with "24",just run it straight through.

May 20 2006 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

I think another thing worth noting is how far they've stretched out Lost this season. When you skip several weeks, even months at a time viewers will lose interest.
A few of my co-workers who I got into the show this season really fell off the bandwagon after that 6-week hiatus in the winter.

I also have to say I agree with what JT (#13) said about tying up some plotlines they're throwing out. I appreciate letting stories breathe a bit (like explaining what happened to Michael with this last episode), but it seems like undoubtably we are left with dozens of questions each episode and only a few get answered. I appreciate mystery and suspense as much as the next guy, but I also love it when things get tied up later on.

And like others have said, 14 million viewers ain't a bad thing :D

May 19 2006 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron Peck

People that watch the show need to stop bitching about it. Enjoy it or stop watching.

May 19 2006 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LA Dave

Doc: The reason the numbers are different is that one of the numbers is an overnight ratings number. It's a statistical sample taken overnight of the major markets (LA, NY, SF, etc..)

It takes up to a week to factor in the final ratings for all the non major market cities. The ratings tend to shift as these results come in throughout the week.

So you may see different ratings results day to day until they are finalized.

I think Lost will do okay on the season finale. The first hour may be low cause the 2nd hour of the AI finale overlaps Lost. The 2nd hour of Lost should have much higher ratings.

May 19 2006 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

Chris, I agree that anything going against Idol is going to get hurt in the ratings, but I hesitate to finger that as the only reason because of the way the ratings have declined. If it were just a case of being against Idol you would see great ratings for weeks, and then when Idol appeared you would see a drop as people left, and a leveling out to what the ratings vs Idol were going to be. That is not the case. If you look up the ratings for the year they have been steadily dropping week by week.

Head over the The Fuselage, the official LOST message board, and take a look at the episode threads. They have an 'Eh, could have been better' thread for each episode, and those threads are very active. Almost always more active than the 'Loved It' threads. There is a growing segment of the audience that are getting fed up with the stalling, the character flip-flops, the dropped plotlines, etc.

May 19 2006 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Ratings are down versus last year because Lost aired at 8p EST last season and did not have to face the Wednesday "Idol" at all (if memory serves me correct).
This year, obviously, they have gone head-to-head.
Anything that airs against "Idol" will get hurt in the ratings. I don't think the lower ratings are a reflection of the storyline or storytelling one bit.
Blame it on "Idol."

May 19 2006 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

I've just ahd a thought. I reffered to Dallas in my previous posting. When Dallas realised their error in allowing Bobby to escape the show, their ratings started to fall and they had to bring him back in a dream sequence..........
Be funny if this happened in LOST;)

Measntime I expect Michael to die. You can't have a cold killer walking around on this show for too long. SO another death soon IMHO......

May 19 2006 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply