April 24, 2014

This is why I watch Jeopardy!

by Adam Finley, posted May 18th 2006 9:56AM

alex trebekI don't have much interest in game shows, but I do try to catch Jeopardy! every day. First of all, it's a somewhat more intellectually stimulating than Wheel of Fortune, and it allows me to sit alone in my apartment and yell things out like, "What is 'Paul's letter to the Corinthians!'" and then sit back with an expression of smug self-satisfaction. Of course, that's usually after listening to twenty other answers whose questions I didn't know.

Most of all, however, I tune in for Alex Trebek and those always awkward exchanges between himself and the guests when he tries to learn a little more about them. Trebek has a tendency to say exactly the wrong thing, or to say things that don't quite make sense.  Yesterday during the Tournament of Champions, he had this exchange with a contestant, Mike, after Mike told him about a shower curtain he and his wife received which had a map of the world on it:

Alex: Do [you and your wife] shower together?

Mike [Smiling nervously]: I'm not gonna answer that.

Alex: You're husband and wife, it's okay.

Mike [Still smiling nervously]: I'm still not gonna answer that.

Ah, it's gems like that which keep me tuned in to this show every day.

gopuketoday

holy ****. i've been talking about this remark for years and you have it word for word!!! no one ever believed me! now i've got a boner-fide witness!

April 27 2011 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank Falstaff

Thanks for the info Sam, I neglected to mention that I was referring to the Metro NYC-North Jersey-South Eastern Connecticut market, I live in the Southern sector of North Jersey, which is yours?

May 18 2006 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Samuel McConnell

Frank - Jeopardy! is syndicated...ABC doesn't carry it in my market, NBC does.

May 18 2006 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank Falstaff

Destin Says:

My all-time favorite Trebek interview moment went something like this:

Alex: So you have two dogs?
Contestant: Yes, and one of them's really smart. He watches "Jeopardy" with me!
Alex: What about the other one?
Contestant: Well...
Alex: So he watches "Wheel Of Fortune?"

Kudos to you Destin for pointing out one of the most memorable Trebek-Contestant exchanges. Does anyone remember the one where he asked a recently wed guy about certain details of the honeymoon? My wife and I just looked at each other for a few seconds without saying a single word...then we simultaneously screamed "Did he really say what I thought he said? The only aspect of Jeopardy that I dislike is the time slot that it has been on for so long, I wish that it were swapped with Wheel, wishful thinking though, I don't believe ABC would ever do it as this would kill Wheel's Nielsen ratings.

May 18 2006 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Destin

My all-time favorite Trebek interview moment went something like this:

Alex: So you have two dogs?
Contestant: Yes, and one of them's really smart. He watches "Jeopardy" with me!
Alex: What about the other one?
Contestant: Well...
Alex: So he watches "Wheel Of Fortune?"

May 18 2006 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Alex Trebek rocks.

May 18 2006 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

I saw that! It was uh, pretty messed up.

May 18 2006 at 10:21 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply