December 20, 2014

How 7th Heaven got its groove back

by Richard Keller, posted May 19th 2006 1:02PM

The cast of 7th Heaven -- Renewed for a 11th season on the CWWe thought the show was over. It was announced way back in November of 2005 that this would be the last season of the WB's family drama 7th Heaven. Then, The CW came along, which merged the UPN and WB networks into one, and there were new rumors of the show being renewed. The rumors became truth this past week when The CW announced an 11th season of the show during its upfronts.

This, of course, led everyone else to the most logical question to ask about this whole situation:  What the hell?

It turns out that the executives at The CW were probably asking the same question themselves, since they didn't know the status of the show until the last minute. According to statements made at Thursday's upfronts the renewal decision was made sometime between the promotion of and airing of the series finale and the upfront presentation. After looking at the show's ratings (7 million for the finale and 5.2 million during the rest of the season, making it the most-watched show on either the WB or UPN) the cost of the show, and the rest of the new CW schedule, the decision was made to bring back the Camden brood.

Actually, cost was the main reason for 7th Heaven's cancellation in the first place. However, things have changed now that the WB and the UPN have been combined.  Since the show is produced by CBS Paramount Network TV, and since CBS owns half of The CW network, an easier deal could be made to continue the series.

7th Heaven will return to its familiar Monday night time slot with most of the cast intact and creator Brenda Hampton still at the helm. It will be paired with the new drama Runaway, which features a family that becomes fugitives when their father is falsely accused of a crime he didn't commit.

brittni

this is so great me and me my sister love watching 7th heaven we been watching since we were little.

July 12 2006 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I am soo glad 7th heaven is comin back when i heard that the 10season was goin to be the end of 7th haven i was pissed! That show is 1 of the best shows on WB22!!

July 02 2006 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
veronica ezell

Thank you for 7th Heaven. One of our radio personalities said that she felt like one of the Camden children. It would be nice if it aired earlier than 11:00pm. in my time zone, I,m sure it would have far more viewers

June 19 2006 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole

iam sooooooooooo happy that 7th Heaven is coming back. I was sad that the show was leaving me it is my favorit show. Thank you CW for bring back the show. Now i can see that Marry and Lucy name their twins!!!!!And i hope that you can bring back more then one season.

June 19 2006 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ondi

Im so happy!
yeah!
7th heaven is my ultimate favorite show i love it! i grew up watching it since the first epissode. I'm Ruthie's age! The show teaches values to our society, which is truly in need of them. I hope we get to see everything that was left hanging in the series finale unravel. I hope to see Simon married to Sandy and happy with their baby and i would enjoy seing Martin with Ruthie. I love martin he is too cute. This is great . Really CW thankyou lots for bringing the show back! and please let us have more than 13 episodes!

June 03 2006 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
suzanne

love 7th heaven glad it is back, love everwood even more don't cancel it!

May 30 2006 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelli

I still can't get over that 7th is comming back! Its a great FAMILY show and its BACK! These days we need a good family show, 7th came up with a lot of good issues that sometimes are hard for a parent to talk to there kids about and 7th broke the ice for us parnets to be able to talk to our kids about that topic that night. I have to say when my daughter was in 3rd grade her teacher made it homework. It was about what they learned new that night. Sex, hate crimes, booze and telling the truth is all hard to talk about your kids with, some kids think parents are picking on them about it. So 7th Heaven started the topic and us parents just added our 2 cents. Its nice to know that I have that one hr. with my daughter to snuggle up on the couch with her to watch our Fav. show! HATS OFF TO 7TH HEAVEN AND THANKS FOR COMMING BACK!

May 23 2006 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristen

You've got to be kidding me! To cancel a wonderfully smart and witty show like Everwood, and bring back from the grave, the syrupy-sweet, horribly-acted 7th Heaven is a travesty!

May 23 2006 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

O'thank God! I love the show and am thrilled to see that it's going to return for another season. There aren't many shows that can bring the whole family together and all can enjoy like 7th Heaven. Thank you for another season and I look forward to seeing what happens next with the Camden's.

Oh, and please put Martin & Ruthie together. :)

May 22 2006 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ursula

When I heard that 7th Heaven was being cancelled I cryed my eyes out. The "series" finalie also made me cry. Now I am sooooooooooooooooooooo happy it has been redvived

May 21 2006 at 8:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply