September 19, 2014

I'm suffering from the post-upfront blahs

by Joel Keller, posted May 19th 2006 6:33PM
Count Blah from Greg the BunnyThis time of year is intense, isn't it? Between all the season finales, all the series finales, and the network upfronts, it's a wonder that people who love TV, and the people who write about TV, get any sleep at all. Heck, we even got a Presidential address thrown in for good measure. It's like we're accountants and it's the two weeks leading up to April 15; lots of late nights, emotional outbursts, and severe negotiations, leaving us emotionally exhausted.

But it's just about over. Even as it is, I feel like I'm coming down from the high. Why? Because the upfronts are over; all five networks have given us a look at their fall schedules, and we finally get to find out what's in and what's out (good news for Veronica Mars fans, bad news for Invasion fans). So right now I'm just feeling a bit spent. And completely uncreative. I couldn't think of one thing to write today because of it. If anyone has any ideas for me to get my mojo back, let me know in the comments.

(By the way, the picture is of Count Blah from Greg The Bunny. Best way I could represent the concept of blah. Blah.)

Roger

Greg the Bunny is alive and well at http://gregtbunny.com/ and on MySpace at http://myspace.com/gtheb - catch it on IFC, the newest incarnation is excellent.

May 21 2006 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Sorry, I guess I helped start the Everwood stuff in this thread. It's just that the news about the upfronts was overshadowed for me once I found out they'd dropped it. I just had no interest in reading anything about new shows knowing they were letting that one go before its time, especially when so much of the new shows sound awful.

Maybe there are a couple of creative ideas here and there, but what do creative ideas get? Usually killed before the end of the first season, i.e. "Threshold".

May 21 2006 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie

How is it that shows like 'According To Jim' and 'George Lopez' manage to continue on, season after season, and a great show like 'Invasion' gets cancelled after just one? How??? I'm in mourning. =(

May 21 2006 at 7:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandy

To recharge creativity it sometimes helps to do something different. I'd suggest reading, specifically a good beach book that's several years old. Then check out the Lifetime schedule and find its made-for-TV movie. Watch it, and then pick an actor in that movie that you like and watch something else that actor is in.

Before you know it, you'll be back to your old curious self. Or you'll throw your television out the window. Either way, it's progress.

May 20 2006 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Not that I don't like all the comments, but why has my innocuous little post about the blahs become the repository for people bitching about Everwood's cancellation?

We did a post about the CW's upfronts: http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/05/18/the-upfronts-the-cw/

You can post your rants there.

Or, better yet, call the CW and register your complaints. It'll be a lot more productive that complaining about it here.

May 20 2006 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I'm pretty surprised that they are keeping 7th Heaven over Everwood. I think people were ready to let 7th Heaven go. But I am happy that Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls have at least one more year.

May 20 2006 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Who's furious at The CW's Dawn Ostroff and any other moronic constituent who decided "Everwood", the best show of all WB and UPN shows(or at least in the top three most honorable), be excluded to make room for an untried, new show that will probably tank and the overdone, vapid and weary crapshoot that has become of 7th Heaven? Anyone who is not in that category I'm certain hasn't seen the show yet. Come on! Join us and watch the incredible last four Season four episodes of "Everwood" Mondays @ 9/8c on The WB. The SEASON* finale will be June 5 when the last two will air back-to-back that night so remember to tune in at 8/7c.

*Everwood truly deserves the opportunity to have a remarkable, fair run. Why wouldn't a network want a show that is consistently attracting ratings well above The WB network average, has been incredibly well-received by the key demograhpic and beyond including the many TV critics, is unmistakably the "best-acted, best written, finest family drama", and has colossal potential? You got everything right there. Everwood has exactly what the network needs: nuanced, unobtrusive and dexterous performances accentuated with heart, humor, and drama. There's absolutely no reason for Everwood to be cut after four seasons.
I will watch season 5.

May 20 2006 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kerstin

I'm so pissed because the new CW let EVERWOOD down instead of finally ending 7th Heaven!!! 7th Heaven WAS finished, so why keeping it for the 11th year and cancelling a show that is fresh and has very much potential. I so know that 7th Heaven won't have the ratings it had in the final episode.

But thanks for new seasons of Gilmore Girls and Grey's Anatomy!!! I LOVE those shows and can't wait to see them in the fall.

May 20 2006 at 7:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

How about a post where you cherry-pick all the canceled Fox shows over the past five years and create a new network from them?

(Sorry, you reminded me about Greg The Bunny, and I'm still bitter.)

May 19 2006 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

Well, if you need an idea for a post, you could go look up the post that Damon Lindelof made where he tells fans that are critical of the show to keep quiet or go watch another show, among other things. Make a post on that, then sit back and watch the sparks fly as the faithful clash with the disillusioned.

May 19 2006 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply