November 23, 2014

The Boondocks DVD pushed back to July

by Adam Finley, posted May 19th 2006 4:01PM
boondocksAs I mentioned in April, the first season of The Boondocks, uncut and uncensored, will be out in June. Well, apparently I lied. Okay, I didn't really lie, but the release date has been pushed back over a month to July 25. Actually, I'd be interested to know if anyone watches this show. I checked it out when it debuted, and while I think individual episodes were okay, the show never seemed to leave me with any reason to keep checking back in. If I serendipitously catch it while surfing the channels, I'll stop and watch it, but it's not a show I actually make a point to watch. It has become one of those shows I can admire even if personally it leaves me a bit cold. Should I give it another chance?

Ron Harris

I saw my first episode of this show a short time ago. I lmfao!!!! It's hilarious and I have been hooked since. As a father of 2 kids I can relate to the situations..lol...Give the show a chance..and you too will be hooked...Bey Bey's kids X 10.. five stars from me

June 14 2006 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

frankly, i'm kinda jilted that the DVD has been pushed back. I was getting excited about having it for my trip in June...now I gotta get all my downloaded eps onto my ipod....teeny tiny viewing screen here I come.

June 13 2006 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ros

Who ever don't care for the show is probably not African American. And I can understand it not the Simpson but it real. Put yourself in our shoes and see what we are dealing with day to day. Look at the teenager today what race are they who want to bomb the world and comment active the not normal. Yes Black killing Black but not a whole race at one time, not are cup of tea. We need more people to watch whats going on in the world and play it back with the people of that color.

June 11 2006 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jackie

I love this show and hope it airs FOREVER!!!! No catoon has ever been so relevant..... and soooo funnnyy!

June 04 2006 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

You guys have valid points, but the fact of the matter is that even though some episodes are a little bit dry and depressing, each half hour has at least one horribly offensive and incredibly hillarious part. How can you dis a series where Charlie Murphy and Samuel L. Jackson do the voices of two crazy crackers?

May 24 2006 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

The consensus that the series started slow is absolutely valid. However, after the first three episodes the series not only got funnier, but the writing became more and more biting to the point of The Boondocks becoming the inevitable heir to The Simpsons/South Park social-commentary throne. It's that good. The biggest problem is that the show seems difficult to produce and we'll be lucky if we get another fifteen episodes in a year's time.

May 20 2006 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
r.r.r.

At first, I had to get use to the show. I am use to just reading the comic and the fact that Regina King does the voice of Riley...it wasn't the greatest match up for myself at first. But the more I watched it, the more I LOVED IT! I can't wait to get this on DVD. My favorite episode has to be the one with Mos Def. And the episode when Huey, Grandad and Riley go to some rich white guy's place and Rukus is introduced. Classic. ;)

May 19 2006 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

The episode seem to be either fantastically great or horribly stilted and unrealistic. The episodes Mark listed were good, as was "Wingmen" (Grandpa goes back the funeral of a friend/rival and learns to be the better man), and "Passion of Ruckus" (Huey tries to get a friend off death row).

But some episodes, like the one with Jazmine's Lemonade Stand, just piss me off, and not in the "controversy" way, but in the "wow, that was completely unrealistic and just plain bad" way.

May 19 2006 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

I totally agree with the first comment - I've always been "meh" towards the comics; seemed to repeat the same jokes over and over and the characters didn't have lots of depth. The animated series has completely blown me away. I watch tons of animated shows and this one has come out in my Top 5 over the last year. Beautiful animation, great direction, interesting angles and motion, humorous (often mouth covered in disbelief) developments, great characters, and, above all, spot-on story telling. My favorite episodes were Reilly with his graffiti, grandpa and the blind man, and MLK returning. Like the british "The Office" I'm often left mouth agape at the situations and dialogue, but it always resonates with me. An amazingly great show.

May 19 2006 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I liked the show but I didn't watch it every week. I came in mid-season so I would mind rented it and checking out uncut and uncensored. For me it's a hit or miss show sometimes, I will think one episode is fantastic and one episode is lame.

May 19 2006 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply