September 2, 2014

The O.C.: The Graduates (finale)

by Lacy Hall, posted May 19th 2006 1:16AM
spicoli grave(S03E25) The trailers promised us that someone MAY not survive the season finale and they were right. Someone MAY not have survived. But the MAY and the plot history of The O.C. is what puts it all in question. There was most definitely a jilted ex-lover. And definitely a serious car wreck. Definitely an explosion. And most definitely it looked like a main character said their final, unrecognizable words before they stopped breathing. But the MAY is still there. Why?

Because it was Marissa. A few of us had a pretty strong feeling that it was going to be Marissa who got killed off. Not so much because her character was lame, but because rumors had been circulating for a while that Mischa Barton was tired of being on The O.C..

Well, it certainly did look like she was dead. Volchok drove her and Ryan off the road during one of his drunken "please take me back Marissa" rages, and the car flipped over. Ryan wasn't hurt too badly and he was able to pull himself out of the vehicle, but Marissa looked virtually lifeless already. Ryan picked up the half-dead Marissa in the EXACT same way he did when she ODed in Tijuana during season one. He laid her on the ground, and was about to go and get help. But then she mumbled that she wanted him to stay and he did. Moments later she appeared to be taking her final breaths and then her eyes just went blank.

So, is she dead or what? I sort of have a feeling that the producers of the show don't even know. I think that we can assume that Marissa is dead, because Mischa wants to leave the show. But I feel that they left this "maybe" in the air in case by next season Mischa might want to come back and/or her contract won't allow her to leave. That's why I'm not totally convinced that Marissa is actually dead. I mean, let's face it, Marissa fuels the show. When you look back over the entire history of the show, she's had more storylines and more love interests than anybody. She pretty much is the show. She is The O.C.

What will happen in The O.C. without Marissa Cooper? The teasers for next season hint that her sister Kaitlin will be the new force of The O.C. Do you think that's likely? Perhaps, the show won't even focus on Ryan, Summer, and Seth in college next year and instead will follow the lives of Kaitlin and a new crew of high school friends. It might be an interesting twist. Although, I must say that I hope I'm not still writing this blog if that happens because Kaitlin is sort of a hard name to spell without double-checking it every time.

So, if Marissa did die, what does everybody think about it? I had an idea it would be a car crash, but I was really hoping for something more glamorous like a coyote attack as a homage to Mischa's real life problems. You know, a ton of people have died on this show. I use to think that it was lame that Luke just ran off to live with his gay dad in Seattle, but now I see that he might have had the classiest exit of all the cast members.

Sarah

I love every member of the fab 4 so without one I can't see where the show is going to go. I will refuse to watch if they focus on Kaitlin, she is dull and stuck-up!!! I haven't enjoyed season 3 that much but killing off Marissa may prevent the show getting back the same flare it had in seasons 1&2, the show needs the old humour but a main character dying isn't exactly going to help bring it out of the depression. I would love Marissa to survive but it would be too similar to the Trey twist.
Good luck to Josh with season 4, your going to need it!

June 02 2006 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jose

Marissa's death was a very bad idea but the writers are such morons that they needed a death to boost the ratings!
Awful idea to bring back Kaitlin. They should focus the show on Ryan, Seth and Summer, and the parents, but never on such an annoying character as Kaitlin.

Most fans in the groups and bords I go already hate her! Only the producers love her and now because "Kaitlin's" spin off was not picked up we have to watch a new OC all around her!!!!!!!

Next season will have even worse ratings, you'll see.
We want The OC we know and love NOT Kaitlin's OC!

May 30 2006 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tobor2001

Did anybody TIVO the season finale episode...My VCR malfunctioned? I missed the final death scene...Can anybody help me out?

May 28 2006 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
O.C lover

i LOVE the O.C! however, the O.C without Marissa is nothing. she is the show. without her, the O.C gauranteed is not going to do too good. clearly, the other loyal marissa loving fans and i are expecting (hoping) for a twist where marissa will be alive!

May 22 2006 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
# 1 fan

Good idea to kill Marissa? Not at all!!! I thought her and Ryan would totally get back together in Berkley and then Seth, Summer, Marissa and Ryan would all be the 4sum again. Whats gunna happen now? I hope Marissa dosent die. Hopefully she'll stay. She's basically one of the best characters. The 4some is all the OC is basically. Its all about them. They're the main characters and withought them its no longer good. Sure, Marissa was the one that nobody liked cause she was wiht Kevin(vaudchack) and she had been doing drugs and everything but it was her part. If it starts being about Kaitlin I'm gunna hate the OC because....jsut beacuse I hate her and the OC is just not the OC with it about her and other people. Its supposed to be about Seth and Summer and Marissa and Ryan. I'm like their # 1 fan and I'll quit if Kaitlin starts on it. I think over all this was their worst season but I still cannot believe Marissa died! Its so sad. Theres rumor that 2 new people will be coming to Newport Beach. Also there was a rumor that Sandy was going to get kicked off because of his work thing. Listen, if anyone from the OC reads this I jsut wanted to say that people in all grades, from elementary school to adulthood watch this show and you know that if Kaitlin becomes important the show will no longer be very popular. The OC needs Marissa and the rest of them!

May 21 2006 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lisa

ì hope she`s not dead it`s crazy mischa and the oc quit ??? it`s a fake?? i hope shè`s is in season 4 back when not and kaitlin stay in the show then maybe gos the show downfall so i say come on and vote for marissa she must fab4 forever vote for marissa copper on this site www.petitionspot.com/petitions/savemarissacooper she must live sorry josh it`s a biggest mistake when mischa`s character not coming back a biggest mistake!!!

May 21 2006 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sydney

basically, you can't have The OC without one of the 4 main kids.

May 21 2006 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick Thomas

Well its sad to see her die. Like i must say. I was rooting for them to have a final kiss, but no. It will be interesting to see where the show continues on from here. I think Katlin will be a bigger part of the show now tho a new cast will certainly be a change. Tho im assuming no 'show-time' will be lost between seasons. So that alot of the coming season will still revolve around the original cast for a while. Tho my prediction Ryan will go off the rails again. I think he is still had something with Marissa and that revenge will be on his mind. This will tear the Cowan family appart, but with Sandy going back to his job (im assuming this) at the DA's there will be less of an issue with Sandy and Kirsten.

Will be very interesting to see where this goes

May 21 2006 at 6:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Personally, I hope that the OC and Josh Swartz stops killing off major characters (I think they are still recovering from killing off Caleb)and the beginning of this season was such a downer that it was tough to watch for any fan. I don't think that Marissa was the center of the show - Ryan Atwood is -- i thought the person they would kill off was going to be Ryan since they talked about how it would change the show forever. I was really sad that Marissa died because she is still a character that you care about, no matter how annoying she was in the last episodes. I just wish it was even more tragic however by having her have a bright future -- instead she was going to work on a boat??? I don't think it was planned very well, but sad nonetheless.

May 20 2006 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy C

Heres my thoughts, I have loved this show since day 1 and i thought this episode was really touching and all at the graduation, but wen it came to the accident i was screaming stop!!!!! like who wud keep driving??? stupid ryans mom for giving him that stupid rollover-prone SUV. and as some1 said b4 that the cohens wont have another kid to be in the inneer circle with kaitlin, i think that maybe since sandys going back to the da's office he might bring home another kid, like ryan. If that happened than the show wud for sure be good again.

May 20 2006 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply