November 27, 2014

Family Guy: Stewie B. Goode/Bango Was His Name-O/Stu and Stewie's Excellent Adventure (finale)

by Adam Finley, posted May 21st 2006 11:55PM

family guy(S05E18)

Diane: In other news, after several grueling days of frightening uncertainty, I finally get my period.

Tom: Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother must be devastated by the loss of the two-headed offspring that might have been.

Hey, Bob's cable is out so I told him I'd cover this week's Family Guy review. If you want to fantasize about Bob while reading this I won't be offended. Okay, let's get to it:

Damn, that's a whole lotta Family Guy. Three episodes back to back, which I'm told are the same episodes which comprise the Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story DVD movie. In the first episode, Stewie blows up the lifeguard chair at the pool but gets trapped underneath and has a near death experience in Hell where Steve Allen is present and there's nothing on TV but Who's the Boss? Meanwhile, Peter gets a job on the local news ranting about whatever is on his mind. That is, until Stewie gets drunk and crashes the car.

One thing I noticed is that the video store is called "Lackluster Video," which also happens to be the name of a video store in an episode of Mission Hill. I thought that was a funny coincidence. I also loved Peter as Richard Dawson, grabbing a contestant's boobs on Family Feud. I also liked Stewie's toast to the black man shortly before he crashes the car: "To the black man: Thanks for taking it all in stride." The aside with Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny was pretty clever, too, and I thought they did a pretty decent job of copying Chuck Jones' style.

Moving into the second episode, Stewie sees a man on TV who looks like an older version of himself. Convinced it's his real father, he and Brian join Quagmire on his cross country trip to nail a woman in every state. This episode had some great gags, as well. I liked the man in the electronics store controlling reality as if it were Tivo, and the "Wacky waving inflated arm flailing tube man" commercial cracked me the heck up. I also liked then Peter and Lois try to teach their children how to attract the opposite sex, with Lois going so far as to join Chris in his room to teach him about eating out ... at a fancy restaurant. And yes, Family Guy writers, I did get the Soap reference.

Finally, the third episode, and everything comes full circle. Stewie learns the man is not his father, but himself as an older, time-traveling virgin. Of course, when he finds out he's thirty-five and has never had sex, he sets out to get himself laid. Eventually he learns his older self has become to cautious because of his near-death experience with the lifeguard chair, so he rushes back in time to stop the explosion and kill himself, but not the real "himself." Yeah, time travel on movies and TV always confuses me, too.

Rick Charming

When Wonder Showzen poked fun at Jon Benet I almost wet myself. It was so subtle and quick that I didn't catch it the first time around. The only thing that really gave it away was the "Patsy" remark at the end. Someone not in the know wouldn't have gotten it but boy did it slam her mom.

June 21 2006 at 3:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessi

Hell Yes!!! The final season of Home Movies is finally out on DVD!!!!!! It is now possible to dominate the Home Movie trivia world once and for all :) Check out the link above with a clip...

June 13 2006 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

I know the show can be pretty ruthless at times but don't take it seriously and I suggest that if you can't handle Family Guy humour DON'T watch Southpark.

I happen to think FG RULES!!!! Every episode is different to the last. I adore Brian and Stewie is unforgetable. American Dad is also good but I don't think it will ever be up to the standards of FG.

June 03 2006 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paul

I justn saw rerun of this program and it was making a joke of the murder of Jon Benet Ramsey. the murder of a little girl passes for humor now? Whoever writes this crap should rot in hell.

May 23 2006 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

Hey, TobyOB, you're welcome!

May 22 2006 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

Okay, when you get the DVD, (Like all of you SHOULD have done months ago!) watch it on the uncensored. There's nothing like hearing Peter say, "Fuck you, America." Freakin' sweet.

May 22 2006 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

It feels like they must have cut the funny parts out, because I've never seen the DVD and thought the special wasn't really that funny.

Well, the recap was funny.

May 22 2006 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Goral

Ah, so it was the DVD. That explains why a few of the references (like Sheryl Crowe and Lance Armstrong) were already out of date.
I guess I should get the DVD...

May 22 2006 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Thanks, Adam!

Using your mention of the Lackluster Video in this episode, I googled it to learn more so that I could feature it as the Crossover of the Week.

And not only was it used in 'Mission Hill', but also in episodes of 'The Simpsons' and in at least one 'Daria'!

So now I'll be able to work up a really nice connection for the Tooniverse!

May 22 2006 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rick

I'm surprized that you never mentioned the 24 like recap. I personally think the best part was when they showed the unrelated clip of "The Chevy Chase Show". It was when Chevy brings a birthday cake out to somebody and then purposely drops it right in front of their feet. That clip had me in tears!!

May 22 2006 at 8:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply