July 31, 2014

Joel McHale on Tony Danza tomorrow

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 21st 2006 4:46PM

Joel McHale and Tony DanzaTomorrow to help kick off Tony Danza's final week as a talk-show host, Danza is welcoming the one person you'd least expect to be a guest on his show.

That's right, tomorrow morning The Tony Danza Show has Joel McHale of The Soup. Now, I know what you're all thinking. Doesn't Joel McHale make a living by doing nothing other than bash on Tony Danza on his his E! program? Well, yeah... he does. Which is why I can only assume that tomorrow's episode of Danza will be one of the funniest things on TV this week. I mean, what happens when Tony busts out one of his classic "danzitions" and McHale nails him on the spot for it?

For those that don't watch The Soup, a "danzition" refers to the method Tony uses to move from one topic to the next and they usually run something like this: "So look at my nails, they're all shiny because I had a manicure done... oh, I almost forgot, _____ _____ died." Now you understand why I can't wait for tomorrow.

Oh and it's worth mentioning that the final episode of The Tony Danza Show airs this Friday.

Preston

I stopped watching Tony Danza's show in January or February and watched Ellen Degeneres' show more. Didn't Tony know that everybody's more into Ellen these days on the variety show end? I'm sure his show was crushed in the ratings in markets where he had to compete with Ellen's show. When they finish watching Regis and Kelly, they switched to Ellen, not two Buena Vista-produced shows back to back. Tony's show was unevenly matched to the jolly style of Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa. He seemed more obsessed with episodes of 24 than his guests. He spent way too many times having cast members of his past hit sitcoms of Who's the Boss and Taxi than having other actors, singers and other people on it. Ellen has fun, humor, and has the whole audience involved. Tony didn't fit well into the talk show format and it didn't work in most cases. I think when they fired Ereka Vettrini from the show last year, the show tanked after that! Did he think that he was going to do the show himself without a sidekick? And why change the theme music? I liked the jazzy theme song before (it sounded soothing and refreshing), not this current theme song that sounds like a reject from Ashlee Simpson's rock album! The cooking segments were good, but everything else was lousy! November to January the shows got dull and boring and I said "I've HAD it!" and quit watching it for good. This was just not the right climate for Tony Danza to do his show when everybody likes to stick with their favorites like Ellen, Oprah, Dr. Phil McGraw and others. They really thought that they'd go 5 to 10 years with Tony, but people can change and turn off on shows pretty quick these days, and he lasted for 2.

June 03 2006 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebecca

i saw what tony did to joel lol

May 24 2006 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ELEANOR OSMAN

I LOVE THE TONY DANZA SHOW = IT'S THE ONLY HONEST THING ON TV = WHAT IDIOT DECIDED TO CANCELL THE DANZA SHOW..HE IS SOOO GREAT WITH HIS GUESTS - THERE IS SO MUCH WARMTH, SINCERITY AND GOOD CLEAN ENTERTAINMENT..IT SEEMS TO ME THAT MANY OF HIS GUESTS WERE EAGER TO BE ON THE SHOW = I WATCH IT EVERY MORNING... I AM SO TIRED OF WATCHING BLOOD SHED, MURDERS, BODIES BEING CUT-UP... WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE GREAT TV WRITERS = I GUESS THEY'RE ALL DEAD... I LOVE TO MEET THE MAN WITH THE AX AND TELL HE SHOULD RECONSIDER THE CANCELLING OF THE DANZA SHOW... I HOPE ANOTHER NET-WORK PICKS UP THE SHOW... TONY IS GREAT AND FUN TO WATCH... GOD BLESS YOU TONY AND GOOD LUCK IN ALL YOU DO.... I LOVE YOU!!!!! ELEANOR

May 24 2006 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M READING THIS NOW!!! I missed DVRing one of the potentially funniest moments of this year!

And I'm with WC here. Aisha Taylor?! She was the weakest by far! Add Hal Sparks to the list of former Talk Soupers, too.

May 22 2006 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Christopher Pizzolato

I'm really surprised that they are canning Danza, but he'll survive.

May 22 2006 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wheel see

#4,

Are you kidding me...Talk Soup was amazing...but seriously Aisha Taylor is all you remember? WTF? wow...How bout you mention one of the funny hosts i.e. Greg Kinnear or John "Skunkboy" Henson..

-wC

May 21 2006 at 8:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

What further proof does anyone need that there truly is a G-d. As soon as I confirm this comment in my e-mail I am going straight to the Tivo and doing the one thing I never thought I've ever do. Ever. Tivo a Tony Danza show.

The Soup is so awesome. Remember when Aisha taylor did it and it was caleld Talk Soup?

May 21 2006 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Thanks for the heads up, this should be an interesting show. I will have to set the Tivo.

May 21 2006 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrcatman

Tony may have lower ratings than some buthe is of the best quality out there. His personal and showmanship is of the highest quality. HELP STOP THIS ERROR IN THE NETWORKS THINKING MY REMOVING HIM.

May 21 2006 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brody

I f--king love The Soup. If anyone deserves to take Conan's spot in 2009, it's Joel McHale. To the Tivo!

May 21 2006 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply