August 1, 2014

The Simpsons: Marge and Homer Turn a Couple Play (finale)

by Adam Finley, posted May 21st 2006 8:57PM

simpsons(S17E22)

Buck Mitchell [after causing the Duff blimp to crash]: This is the worst blimp crash ever!

Grandpa: Too soon!

Okay, that exchange cracked me up, as did a few other moments during this episode, such as the television show "Hunch" the family watches in the beginning of the episode which list JD Salinger as a writer in the closing credits. I also liked the "Sexy Marriage Land" song performed by Tabitha Vixx (voiced by Mandy Moore), and Homer becoming indignant towards Marge because she insists on judging him on things he's done, which is so totally unfair.

And that's the thing about The Simpsons. While this episode did have me cracking up a few times, as a whole I felt it could have been better. In this episode, Marge and Homer counsel a minor league baseball player, Buck Mitchell (voiced by Stacy Keach) and his wife, the aforementioned Tabitha, after she performs a rather risque version of "The Star Spangled Banner" during one of the Springfield Isotopes' home games. They hit a snag, however, when Buck thinks Tabitha cheated on him with Homer. In reality, he just gave her a chicken grease neck rub.

I think my main problem with this episode was seeing too many gags that, while funny, seemed like they came a bit to easy for the Simpsons writers, such as Homer talking to a piece of chicken like it was a woman he was hitting on, and Homer also dumping a sackful of baseballs out of a sack too small to actually hold that many baseballs. While I won't write this episode off as a total loss, I can't say it did much for me, either.

B

The couch gag was a repeat, but they only have 4-5 new couch gags per season. The parts with Homer and Tabitha gave me flashbacks to the Lurlene episode, and they've used the Homer eating sounds like sex joke a few times before.

May 22 2006 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L

It was definitely used before... lame that it was used again. I am typing (and reading) this as I'm watching the episode itself. Which only shows how bored I am of the episode and what the simpsons have become. Another season? a movie!? Sad to say, the simpsons have to go :(

May 22 2006 at 1:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
j quality

i'm pretty sure the opening couch scene was used before, i almost thought i was watching a rerun.

May 22 2006 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocko

c'mon, you're being too tight on the show. loosen up the collar adolph!! meanwhile, you're giving shows like family guy rave reviews for the most stupid crap ever!! The Simpsons are funny again, and they have been for the last 3 seasons!! Meanwhile, you missed on some hilarious points during the episode. The opening where all the couches go on a mad rampage (honestly, i never saw it coming), the Duff-Man exchange (dont tell the children!), and Abe's flashback. I'd say this is an episode that ranks up there with season 6.

May 21 2006 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Cohen

This was a nice way to the end the season. Plenty of Marge+Homer love, except they played too much on pop culture, and the last line just wasn't that funny. That was the worst part. They should've gone out on a high note with Marge and Homer kissing, that is what the show was about.

May 21 2006 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D

You had to laugh when homer said “let me put on some protection” and they showed him with a bib.

May 21 2006 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply