September 30, 2014

Charmed: Forever Charmed (series finale)

by Richard Keller, posted May 22nd 2006 2:23PM

The Halliwell sisters of Charmed.(S08E22) No sir, I didn't like it. Didn't like it one bit.

I'm talking about the series finale of the WB's Charmed , which ended its eighth and final season on Sunday night. What should have been a great sendoff by producers and writers for the Halliwell sisters Piper (Holly Marie Combs), Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) and Paige (Rose McGowan) was flat, disappointing, and focused more on the secondary players than The Charmed Ones.

However, that's not the reason why I disliked the episode. The thing that ticked me off was the magical device that Piper, the oldest sister, used in order to save Phoebe and Paige form a horrible death that they encountered last episode. A device that, in my opinion, is the lazy way out of resolving issues.

I'm talking about . . . .wait for it . . . time travel. Aarrrgh!

When writers need to correct tragic situation in science fiction or fantasy they love to rely on time travel to make everything right. Now, you're probably gritting your teeth and saying 'Rich, you arrogant bastard! I bet you would go back in time to save a loved one.' My answer to that would be 'no' because 1) I don't know anyone who has the ability to time travel, and 2) I would royally screw up the timeline. Anyone who has watched The Butterfly Effect knows that even one insignificant change in a timeline can alter the future for eternity. So, rather than have some other magical way of restoring life to Phoebe and Paige, or have a Whitelighter like Leo (Brian Krause) come down and save the sisters, the writers resorted to this simple age-old solution.

It was lamer than Barbaro during the running of The Preakness and it made the Halliwell sisters go out in a whimper rather than the blaze of glory they deserved after defeating so many powerful demons throughout the series run. Add to that the fact that this was a Piper-driven episode with Phoebe and Paige in the background. The extended Halliwell family members got more screen time than either Milano or McGowan. Being a series finale it should have focused only on The Charmed Ones. Instead we got brief glimpses of them during battle and as they shared their memories of what happened to their lives in the future.

I always enjoyed Charmed when I watched it in the past and I was looking for a more powerful ending to the series. I'm very sorry that there wasn't one to be had.

lovegabysexy

who played billie's sister in the final season of carmed? i thik she is as hot as the rest of them.

February 28 2011 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
abby storm

Charmed Finale-SUCKED! First of all there were so many plot holes in the whole season, let alone in the finale, the writers either got lazy or were stupid (I'm thinking both)! In Forever Charmed, they said that only a terrible thing would send the hollow back when in season four, the hollow can only be sent back by a force of good and a force of evil.
Plus can you explain to me why, since Christy (who was the only cool character on the show at the time!) was NOT the ultimate power when according to Charmed Mythology, the oldest sister is the strongest? I thought Billie was the most pathetic whiny loser on the show, and her betraying her sister for three women who treated them both like CRAP was totally LAME!!!
As for the other characters coming back, I didn't agree with bringing everyone back to start with!!! We've seen Grams and Mom on almost every single episode since season one, why do we need to see them AGAIN????
But on the subject of Shannen Doherty, she was the glue that held that show together IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!! So anyone who has the NERVE to say she didn't deserve to come back is a COMPLETE IDIOT!!! Alyssa Milano RUINED that show, the stupid slut!!!! If there had been any sense on that show, Cole and Prue would have been together and Phoebe who have had a sword sliced through her chest by the source (the one time that idiot could have been of ANY USE!) There is no justice in the world!!!
Time Travel was also LAME!!! Piper had the book of shadows and eight years of rhyming knowledge in her head (supposedly), she could have resurrected her sisters!
The last episode was pathetic and if they got it through their heads that there had to be ANOTHER season, I would be so MAD because The Charmed Ones turned into self absorbed self centered bitches that they made the wicked witch of the west look like a fun loving party girl!!!! Christy was the ONLY cool character on that show and it totally SUCKED THAT THEY KILLED HER OFF!!!!
Billie, that TRAITOROUS WARLOCK deserved to die, as did the charmed ones, because good does not always prevail over evil and I was hoping those cruel bitches would die!!!!
So if you ask me if Forever Charmed was any good, this is what I will tell: NO!!!! IT WAS NOT GOOD!!! IT SUCKED AND ANY IDIOT WHO THOUGHT THE SHOW WAS GREAT WITHOUT PRUE AND COLE AND THE REALLY COOL CHARACTERS (Minus the slut Phoebe, the bitch Piper, the control freak Paige and the disgusting slob they called Leo) CAN ALL GO TO HELL BECAUSE YOU DESERVE IT!!!

April 01 2010 at 2:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stacey

i am ashamed to say i never watched CHARMED UNTIL THE RERUNS. ONLY BECAUSE I NEVER HAD ANY KIND OF CABLE UNTILL NOW. THANK GOD FOR DIRECT TV.LOL. NEEDLESS TO SAY I WATCH THE CHARMED ONES 4 X'S A DAY, ME, MY HUSBAND AND KIDS ARE ADDICTED TO IT. I LOVE IT. I REALLY HATE THAT I MISSED 7 WHOLE SEASONS. WHAT A BUMMER. SO NOW I'M IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING ALL 7 SEASONS. IT' ONLY ABOUT $120. IT WILL BE WORTH EVERY PENNY.

July 27 2007 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cherlypooh

I love Charmed soOoOo much, i've actually been watching Charmed since it first aired on T.V. I was nine when it came out I believe. That show is like the best ever it has all the things that makes it soo great action, drama, suspense, comedy, fantasy, and more. I really love and miss the Charmed girls. Holly M Combs and Alyssa Milano are my most favorite actresses and can't wait to see all of them on T.V or in the movies one day. I hope that they all work together on another series one day as well. I also miss the Charmed men they were soOo hot. NE way I this show will never end to me, because I'ma keep watching the re-runs, to me it never gets old...lol...Well I hope that everyone else loved and miss Charmed as much as I do or atleast a little. NE way LOVE YA CHARMED!!! OFF AIR BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!! MUAHZ!

July 22 2007 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alisa

I actually chose to accept the finale from Season 7 as MY Series finale. It was the perfect ending. I'm sure they didn't expect to come back on CW so they closed it all out very nicely. I actually watched the Season 8 finale on TNT last week and have to agree--Season 7 finale would have been a better ending to a great series.

June 27 2007 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maria round

i enjoyed charmed wikk there ever be another series 9 with the next generation?

March 13 2007 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maria round

i enjoyed charmed wikk there ever be another series 9 with the next generation?

March 13 2007 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maria round

i watched charmed from day one and hope they make a 9th with the next generation their kids wyatt and chris

March 13 2007 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply