Stephen King unhappy with Desperation airtime

by Adam Finley, posted May 22nd 2006 6:52PM

stephen kingDesperation, the ABC movie based on Stephen King's novel of the same name, will be airing opposite the American Idol finals on FOX, and King is none too happy about it. He's been touting the series on his site for awhile, claiming it's one of the best adaptations of his work. Both shows will air tomorrow night. As a gentle warning to his fans, King wrote, "Those of you who don't [watch Desperation], and watch American Idol instead...well, just remember: I have strange powers. I have been watching you all for some time through your computers. (This is actually a power conferred upon me by the Bush Administration.) I watch you when you eat, I watch you when you sleep, and I watch you when you undress. In regard to this last comment, some of you need more stylish underwear, but never mind; the point is, I will know if you watch American Idol and if something bad happens to you, it will be your own fault."

Gilbo

Well, I'm glad I tivo'd the movie last night and watched it this morning. Once again, it was a lame adaptation. At least with tivo it only took my 45 minutes to watch it instead of 3.

May 24 2006 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Issak

It isn't American Idol I am worried about, its House. That show is one of my favorites (besides Lost, 24, Prison Break) and its the finale. I have already chosen to watch Desperation but I am going to catch as much of House as I can. Anyway, everyone knows the second hour of a 3 hour miniseries has the most commercials.

May 23 2006 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RUTH

steven king can do no wrong hes the greatest writer ever so steven keep going

May 22 2006 at 11:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean Krause

Stephen King is the master of storytelling but ABC
continues to produce crappy adaptions of his novels.
"The Stand", "The Langoliers", "It", "Storm of the
Century", and even the remake of "The Shining."

"Desperation" I love but I may tune this one out.

May 22 2006 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Hoffpauir

Oh no I have to miss American Idol!? Oh wait I dont watch that piece of uh well you get my point. Does anyone remember the tv adaptation of Koontzs 'Intensity'? anyway I thought it was better than most of his movie adaptions. And unfortunately except for maybe 'The Stand' theres never been a decent showing of any of Kings work either. But it is King and theres nothing else on so what the hey. Maybe this time they'll get it right.

May 22 2006 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melissa

I've read most of Stephen Kings books. I'm looking forward to watching this movie. I read Desperation four times and I have to say it had me really scared the first two times. Its a great book and the movie may not be as scary as the book but I think it'll be ok. Looking forward to watching it.

May 22 2006 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessica conerton

i am in agreement with the other comments about his movies not being adapted to television very well, but like all the other ones, i will still be tuning in because he is absolutely my most favorite author and has been for many years.

May 22 2006 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela Knight

As a huge fan of Stephen King's written work, I have never liked any of his many film adaptations. That said, Desperation is one of my favorite King books. I am tempted to tune in for that reason alone. It is just that, as frightening as that piece of work was, I cannot see how it can be adapted successfully, just as I thought "It" was a huge disappointment when adapted. The adaptations of all his best written work seems so cheesy when put to film.

May 22 2006 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gilbo

Riiight, okay Steve...

I really enjoyed reading Desperation back in the mid-90's, along with it's sister book The Regulators. Even though a lot of the King made-for-tv adaptations are pretty lame, I look forward to seeing what they've done with this one.

May 22 2006 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom T

Jebus, Steve. It's not like anyone actually watches live TV anymore. Thanks to Tivo and our friends at the BitTorrent Cable Company, scheduling is no longer an issue. In fact, it hasn't been since, well, since Mr. King wrote us a good book.

May 22 2006 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply