August 29, 2014

The Five: Corporations

by Adam Finley, posted May 22nd 2006 8:28AM

dinosaurs bossHey, check your watch. Yeah, it's time for another episode of The Five where we list stuff in groups of five, and you throw down some more in the comments. It's both fun and educational. Today we're talking about the best fictional corporations on television, so let's get into it:

Acme: Are you a coyote who has devoted his life to catching a single bird? If so, the Acme Corporation has everything you need from anvils to rocket sleds to exploding birdseed. Of course, none of these things come with any guarantee, but I'm sure they'll work out just fine for you. According to Wikipedia, Acme was part of the Warner Bros. cartoon universe early on, having first appeared in "Buddy's Bug Hunt" in 1935.

GloboChem (Mr. Show): GloboChem was essentially the company that owned and ran everything in the Mr. Show universe. Some segments were about GloboChem specifically while others merely alluded to the fictional company. The company was a satire of huge corporations like Wal-Mart and Viacom which seemed to have way more control over us than they should.

Spacely's Sprockets (The Jetsons): When George Jetson wasn't pushing buttons at home, he was pushing buttons at Spacely's Sprockets, maker of high-quality sprockets and the bane of Cogswell's Cogs. Mr. Spacely's voice was provided by Mel Blanc. I actually don't recall George making any actual sprockets, I think he just sat around talking to his computer all day. I guess that's one thing he and I have in common.

Wesayso Corporation (Dinosaurs): Besides being quite amusing, Dinosaurs had a very clear environmental message built into it. The Wesayso Corporation for which Earl worked as a "tree pusher" was built on the idea that there are plenty of natural resources for everyone, so there's really no point in trying to conserve anything.

Slate's Construction (The Flintstones): I'm curious, was Fred's job really to just lift and lower the same boulder over and over again? Despite his bombastic exterior, was he actually trapped in some kind of perpetual, Sisyphean nightmare? This could change the way I watch The Flintstones forever.

Zarquon

I have to add The Krusty Corporation (I think that's right) and especially Krusty-lu Studios

May 23 2006 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff

this one goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back.. The Continental Flange Co. is where Herschel Bernardi's Arnie worked from 1970-72 on CBS. He wenr from loading dock foreman to upper management.

May 22 2006 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emily.

I'm a cartoon fan. Acme is at the top of my list too, but I think Wayne Enterprises deserves a mention.

May 22 2006 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

Damn it! 3 and 4 beat me to the two I was going to put down. Okay, my 3rd choice is The New York Yankees for George Costanza, George Steinbrenner's favorite monkey boy. Don't tell me that's not an evil empire.

May 22 2006 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vince

there's also "The Company" from Prison Break

May 22 2006 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leto2

Gracen & Gracen in Profit
Pickering Industries in Andy Richter Controls The Universe... OK, i admit I had to google that one to find the name.

May 22 2006 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

my top 5 would be

Bluth Company
Conglom-O
Mom's Friendly Robot Company
Dunder Mifflin
and
DrugCo

May 22 2006 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I've always been partial to Mom's Friendly Robot Company on 'Futurama'.

May 22 2006 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glenn

Bluth Company from Arrested Development.

May 22 2006 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dvddesign

Without knowing which corporation makes it's products, but I remember that everything in cans that was seen on Roseanne was labeled with a completely white label that had a name of what it simply was on over white. "Soda" and "Beer" stand out as two of the greatest products ever to hit the scene.

May 22 2006 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply