September 21, 2014

The Sopranos: Cold Stones

by Tom Biro, posted May 22nd 2006 1:14AM
Sopranos - Cold Stones
(S06E11) It's probably not too often that an actor comes up with a plotline idea for his own character that is not only successful in keeping people interested in the show, puts his tv self in harm's way, and it's a good thing. For those of you waiting to see what would come from Vito's "situation," let's just say, this was what you've been waiting for this whole season. It amazes me to think back to how long ago it was in real time to when Vito was seen by Finn on the construction site, but it's all good now.

If there was anything that this show brought even more to life, it was the "things that irk Tony." We open up to Carm giving AJ the business because he was apparently fired from his job at Blockbuster - three weeks ago - and has somehow been going on $1000 nights hanging out with Hernan and his pals. Outside of that, Vito tracks down Tony at the mall to ask if he can "buy back in" to the family. Tony does more or less what you'd expect, snubbing him and throwing out some insults in the process. Something makes me wonder, though, whether or not Vito would have appealed to Tony's good side had he not brought his brother along for "protection." Between that situation, and the fact that Phil Leotardo and his hairstyled pal continue to drive the Jersey boss mad, it was enough to cause problems that will be felt for awhile.

Vito somehow decides that getting his whole family together and telling his kids that he works for the CIA and might have to go away again for a little while is a good idea. Of course, that was just one of the few steps that would be his undoing. Although, for a moment, his wife seemed like she appreciated the effort he made. Calling one of the boys and seeing if he can get a little more help working his way back into the business was the issue, though. It was pretty clear that he got sold down the river for $20k. It's not exactly thirty pieces of silver, but don't be surprised to see that guy killing himself, or being killed, should anyone ever find out that he sold Vito out to the New York crew. Not that the boys wanted to protect Vito, but with the killing of one of his murderers by Carlo and Sil, trouble has been stirred up.

The promos for next week talked a lot about the family being gone, and having issues. Are we looking at all-out war between New York and New Jersey? Now that Tony's had a little bit of a taste for what he used to be up to - or perhaps just the stripper did - and he's being as raw with his kid as his father (and so on) was with him, things are-a-changin'.

I can't help but think that the constant rehashing of Ade's death means something. I mean, Silvio couldn't have messed that up, could he? Either that, or they're going to find her body. Carm is going to knock down her spec house and start over, what are the odds the girl is somewhere in the foundation? Did you notice that our friend the FBI agent was the cop in France in Carm's dream that was telling her to tell Ade that she was dead? Gotta love that linkage.

AJ might actually grow up, although it took a football helmet through the windshield of his XTERRA to make a point. With Meadow thinking of moving out to California to be with Finn, Carmela wanting to re-do her spec house, and a couple of murders between the local crews, something's got to give. Looks like we're gonna see Julianna Margulies yet again when the season finale rolls up two weeks from tonight, wonder who she'll be involved with ... though I have my suspicions.

Anyone expecting more caskets to need to be ordered when this season comes to a close?

Pete

IMDB.com lists Furio appearing in the Cold Stones episode where Vito gets whacked. I don't remember seeing Furio at all? Did I miss it?

June 17 2006 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marlene

I want to know if Tony will ever avenge Dr. Melfi's rape. Also, I think that Christopher is going to flip.

June 02 2006 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabe

thanks for the book report.

May 24 2006 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug

I still think (some agree)that all of it is in 'The salesman's head" when Tony was in the coma. They went pretty far with the character and then made him have althimers??? That may be the real "Tony" and EVERYTHING is in his mind. Not in the mafia or any of the others??? Nobody died. In the "dream sequences" while he was in the coma it was not Carmella's voice. I hope this is not how it ends up...trust me!!! lol The character(Brian I think his name was) is just sick and imagining all this in his mind. Maybe they can make it Chris is really a movie producer, Sil might just own a resturant? etc. I'm just throwing this out there. don't ya think Tony recovered very quick? No brain damage,wheelchair & then he beat up the driver who is built like the "HULK???" lol

May 22 2006 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nikki

I believe the reason they showed the thin Vito picture was to honor his passing and has no significance. That was a good call about the beacon that Tony saw in dream and the Eiffel tower. I assumed Tony's was saying "here is the way"? They were explicit Chris didnt kill Ade and showed Sil, plus Chris has barely been seen past 2 weeks so doubt they would kill him off. Peresonally I think they are gonna "whack" Phil.

May 22 2006 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank Falstaff

Jen (# 17) this IS the last season and YES, it has been divided in two, the episode that will be shown in two weeks (June 4) is the last of the first part of this final season, the second part of the season will be shown in 2007.

May 22 2006 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

I was confused about the end of last night's show as well. They were saying in 2 weeks was the last show of the year???? So that is ot the end of the Sopranos?? This is not the last season then??? Or the shows in 2007 (that Tom mentioned earlier) are part of this season??? I had the intentions that these were it?? Edie Falco is on "The View" sometime this week to talk about the show.

May 22 2006 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig

The reason Ade keeps coming back is that Carmela is increasingly waking up to the fact that Tony had her killed and Jackie Jr. as well. She is about to reconsider her place in all of this. Sopranos joined the list of classic tv shows that jump the shark when cast members go to Paris

May 22 2006 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan Toomey

Since when do "oranges" symbolize death on this show? Am I forgetting something important? It's been so long since I've watched episodes from previous seasons...

May 22 2006 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
theattack

Tom- Julianna Margulies' charachter is for sure getting hooked up with Christofer.

Also as far as the oranges, thats really more of a Godfather thing, that Sopranos pays homage to. See the connection on the Sopranos of eggs and death. But I'm sure it meant something and yo may be right on it.

May 22 2006 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply