October 1, 2014

Charlie Gibson named sole World News Tonight anchor

by Joel Keller, posted May 23rd 2006 12:31PM
ABC News announced today that Charlie Gibson will be taking over as sole anchor of World News Tonight on May 29. He will be juggling the assignment with his duties as anchor on Good Morning America until the end of June, after which he will work only on the evening newscast. This news comes in the wake of Elizabeth Vargas' impending maternity leave; she will return in the fall to her duties on 20/20, and will do occasional news specials, but she will not return to WNT. The ABC announcement also mentioned that this move gives Bob Woodruff time to recover from the injuries he suffered in Iraq earlier this year; whether he'll make it back at all is still up in the air, though.

[via Mediabistro]

LOUISE CLARK

I ADORE CHARLIE. WILL MISS HIM IN THE MORNING. A HALF HOUR AT NIGHT ISNT ENOUGH.

June 14 2006 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Moses M. Bility

Charles has made my morning very enjoyable
for the past years and now I will only
see him half hour every evening instead
of 7 t0 9.00 a.m. Monday through Friday;
I know Charles will do great.

Moses M.Bility
NEW YORK CITY

June 05 2006 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

I like charlie gibson a lot but I will miss him on GMA -- especially his Oscar coverage. He is the only host who is genuinely excited and I love that about him -- all the other hosts are so dull.

May 23 2006 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lori

I think Charlie will be great. Any news on who will replace him on GMA? I'm hoping for Bill Weir.

May 23 2006 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Sheridan

He gave the keynote address at the Radio and TV News Directors Association convention in Las Vegas this year and was terrific!!! I can't wait to see him behind the anchor desk.

You can read his speech at the RTNDA.ORG website.

May 23 2006 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PastaQueen

I like Charlie and I think he'll do a good job, but I also like Elizabeth Vargas and it sucks that she's getting pushed out of the job. I know she's got the baby on the way, blah, blah, blah, but getting the job and then having it taken away within 6 months is a very public professional slighting. It would have been better if they'd just given the job to Charlie right away.

May 23 2006 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deidre Farley

How wonderful...it will be so refreshing to see an anchor who is able to relate a complete story...instead of saying a couple of sentences, his/her co-anchor, says a few more, then back to him...for one story. I like Gibson and look forward to seeing him read the news himself. How refreshing. Deidre

May 23 2006 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Say what you like about the state of affairs among the nightly news cast, but I like Charles Gibson. He's always seemed old style, but not in afraid-to-try-new-things kind of way. This may be the best decision ABC news has made.

May 23 2006 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply