American Idol: TAYLOR WINS! (finale)

by Lacy Hall, posted May 25th 2006 2:28AM

taylor hicksOh man, I've been patiently twiddling my thumbs for the last 3 hours until the finale aired on the West Coast, so I could finally post this. Taylor Hicks is our new American Idol, and I couldn't be happier. Well, I could be (sigh...Chris). But if I can't have Chris, then I'm happy with the Silver Fox. (I hate that nickname by the way. It makes me feel like I've got a crush on an old man. What's the opposite of being a pedophile? Is there a word for that? 'Cause I might have it.) They really took it down to the last minute too. I was biting my nails at 1 hour and 59 minutes, worried that my TiVo was about to pop up with the dreaded "Erase Now? or Save?" quandary. I felt like I was Mr. Eko on Lost, watching that damn clock. But right at the final seconds, Ryan said Taylor's name. Yes! The crazy windmill-dancing bastard pulled it off! I understand why Taylor's dad was crying, but why was David Hasselhoff?

I must say that for a drawn-out, unnecessarily long two-hour finale, this was a pretty good one. Prince! Mary J. Blige! Live! Clay Aiken! Burt Bacharach! Meatloaf! Okay, I wasn't excited about Meatloaf. What was up with that red handkerchief? Did he think that Katharine was a bull? Other than Taylor taking the cake, I think my favorite moment was the slow motion, homo-erotic hug between Ace and Chris. (Meeeeeow!) My second favorite moment was Clay Aiken surprising his superdork doppelganger by taking the stage. But I'm confused -- am I attracted to Clay's new hipster haircut or repulsed by it? Um, all of the above. My least favorite moment was having to sit through Kellie Pickler's lame dumb blonde routine for the 700th time. Dumb blondes are so two months ago. But this is not a time to talk about Clay's fashion sense or Kellie's IQ...

This is Taylor's time! GOOOOOO Taylor!!!!! SOUL PATROL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Margaret Loper

It's so silly to say Taylor doesn't deserve to win. Of course he did. Is Chris good, pretty good but very one dementional. The thing I find so funny is that Chris is bald. And believe me he did not shave his head to make a fashion statement. So, he looks just as old as Taylor. But Chris is more fit. Taylor is tall and handsome. Just wait. Regardless, if you only went for vocals Elliot was the clear winner. Don't be mad

June 27 2006 at 3:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhinocasts

Wanna know the secret behind some of Burt Bacharach's songwriting techniques or the magic behind your favorite "songs?" Burt Bacharach sits down with Ron Shapiro and tells all about his new studio album "At This Time," classic collaborations with Dionne Warwick and Hal David on this episode of the Rhinocast. Win an exclusive autographed Burt Bacharach Boxed set from Rhino by entering at http://www.rhino.com/rzine/rhinocasts/burtbacharach/. Plus, the Lefsetz letter featuring Rock & Roll Hall of Fame artist Bob Seger.

June 20 2006 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole show, award bits and all. Top notch entertainment. Seeing Clay again was a high light. He looked and sang like a dream. Very funny stuff with his so-called look-a-like. I'm happy for Taylor, he's a great performer, and a nice guy, and since Elliott couldn't win, I'm glad he did. I wish them all wonderful things in the future.

May 27 2006 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harriet

I found idol to be boring. Taylor should not be the idol. Go Katherine and show everyone who the real idol is.

May 27 2006 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I have to agree with you on Elliott. I really wanted it to come down to Taylor and Elliot, with Elliott winning. He sounded really good with Mary J. Blige. Now, Meatloaf on the other hand?? What the heck?? I'm not a Kat fan, but I do think she sounded good when she sang with him He was awful, though. I don't know how she managed to stay in tune singing with him.

May 26 2006 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nance

Congrats to Taylor! I would have preferred to see Elliot vs. Taylor and an Elliot win, however. Highlight of the evening for me--seeing Clay come out with his new look--gorgeous, in my opinion, and to hear him sing again was wonderful! Prince was also a surprise and offers legitimacy to American Idol--about time!

May 26 2006 at 7:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Viki

Well said, Jeff. Funny how people have to tear someone down in an effort to try and make another look better.

May 26 2006 at 7:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

CLAY made the 2 hours worthwhile!!! Love HIM and his new look!

May 25 2006 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TMCandiyams

If William Hung had come out on stage and sang "She Bang, She Bang", that would have stopped the show!!...lol

May 25 2006 at 5:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

An eating disorder in her future? Playboy by 35? Wow, the Katherine haters (jealous) are up in arms...STILL. (I know instead of saying she's shallow, you say she will get a horrible deadly medical condition, and instead of saying she's trampy, you say she is going to engage in Public Nudity. She seems to have survivied living in LA for her entire life w/o developing any eating or modesty problems!)

I can only imagine what the attacks would sound like if Kat had won.

As far as not getting a big reception in her "Homecoming" (how can it be a homecoming considering the show tapes in her home town?); you have to remember that LA is the city that ignored and chased away two NFL teams. The folks there are simply too obsessed with their world to turn out in droves like those in Alabama, etc.

Why can't folks just be happy for both? My feeling has always been that Taylor is the more polished and unique of the two. He will be marketed very successfully at a niche audience and will do well. Katherine is a very good singer who will be marketed at a younger MTV audience and will also do well.

May 25 2006 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply