November 22, 2014

Forensic photography with the big green Lost bird

by C.K. Sample, III, posted May 25th 2006 6:24PM

So here it is: the absolute best screenshot I could get of last nights big green bird that shrieked like some sort of pterodactyl. I couldn't get anything good from my DVR. I had to purchase the iTMS copy of the show and open the file in Quicktime, so that I could step frame by frame through the section. Clearly, it was a moment of computer-generated green birdiness last night, but what type of bird? The green made me think of the eagle on American currency, but that seems a stretch, even for this bizarre show. I played with the image some in Photoshop. I'm no expert, by any means, but check after the jump for some more pictures...
In this one I basically removed as much color as possible from the surrounding scenery.

Here, I cropped the image, sharpened the bird, and played with the curves a bit. Looks like some kind of hawk to me. What do you think?

RickyB.

We're not supposed to know the importance of this bird yet, but we should still recognize that it is important, since it appeared at the ending of both seasons. Has no one else noticed that when the bird was green, Hurley was wearing a shirt of the exact same color? Same goes for season one. This shows their link.

July 18 2006 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
blake

The bird was in season one. It was in the last few seconds of Exodus (part two), but Hurley didn't think it said his name. His exact words were "Whoever named this place Dark Territory...genius."

June 12 2006 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paddy

i think that the bird is sybolistic of the times of old when men young and old gathered to hunt for sky rats, hurley is most likly not to be able to fly, this is sybolic.
ps. have any of you guys noticed locke in the darhma film, episode, the pearl.

June 01 2006 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tara

Have any of you noticed this? Looking straight on at the bird, on the right side of the picture, there is a face in the wing. This is something we have seen before in LOST with the smoke that surrounded Ecko which also had faces in it. Does anyone else see it?

May 31 2006 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

The only thing we do know to be a fact is " We have to push the button!"

May 31 2006 at 8:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jungle Orchid

Hey, Javier in Texas,
Your comment may have some credence in relation to Hurley's obsessive eating and the carrion feeder.

May 31 2006 at 5:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenniluna

*BOL* @ #11
Love a good pun...

and I didn't remember it being at the end of the first season... now we have to remember to look for it at the end of the next one!

May 31 2006 at 4:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
eric

so... wiki says it looks like a Kea bird. and i think theres a story about like, the legends of the kea. it tells of a giant shadow cast across the land ( maybe the monster ) because the bird is mad at everyone because they have done wrong.. i dunno, i can't remember the rest of the story.. and maybe thats a little too far fetched... even for lost.

May 26 2006 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Looks like Fred Flintstone's foot.

May 26 2006 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Nope. Doesn't look like a bird's foot at all in my opinion.

May 26 2006 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply