November 1, 2014

Would you buy land from Chuck Woolery?

by Joel Keller, posted May 26th 2006 3:52PM
Chuck Woolery selling landThere's always been something about Chuck Woolery that I've liked. He wasn't like the other classic game show hosts that I used to watch in the seventies and eighties; instead of being all about the hair, teeth and deep voice, Chuck was always a relaxed and easy-going presence that seemed like he actually cared about whether the contestants on his shows won or not. So, this actually makes him a perfect guy to sell pretty much anything on TV. I just didn't think he'd sell this:

Lately I've been seeing Chuck in ads that sell real estate in various locales: one in Arkansas and one in New Mexico. The commercials are similar to the ones Erik Estrada does. You know the sales pitch: "Come to Jerkwater Springs! The weather here is great! It's growing by leaps and bounds! And you can buy a lot for only fifty grand!" Then the celebrity offers a free weekend for two in order to entice you to come down and hear the pitch in person. It's all very cheesy, and borderline suspicious.

I can see why Estrada was doing these commercials: besides Spanish soap operas and one season of The Surreal Life, he didn't have much going on. But Chuck has been doing Lingo on GSN for the last few years, and seems to be making decent money selling motorized fishing lures. Does he really need the money that badly? Did his wife take most of his money in his last divorce? It's just hard to see him pushing plots of land on daytime television after the career he's had.

But here's the real question: Would you buy real estate from Chuck? He does sound fairly persuasive in the commercials. Let me know in the comments.

[thanks to triborough.org for the screenshot!]

Larraine

Does anyone know the website? I saw the advertisement and wanted to look into it and cannot find where I wrote the site down. I'd appreciate it. Thanks

September 10 2006 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chilibee

He's getting married June18th to a makeup artist--anybody know who?

June 02 2006 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jean

No, No again No.Chuck Woolery looks so Phoney, trying to sale land.Why do these companies think that the Public,will buy anything from Has- beens. Chuck,can we have a R Please,I will like to solve it, RETIRE!

May 30 2006 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JMISMAS

I wondered the same thing the first time I saw the Erik Estrada informercial for Hot Springs Village in Arkansas.

I saw the commercial in the middle of the day on CNBC- so I did a little research :

May 27 2006 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

Sure, I'd buy land from Chuck Woolery. I'd buy anything from Chuck Woolery. Godforbid, I'd even buy a vowel. Who wouldn't? The bigger question is whether or not I'd buy this land. The answer to that is a resounding HELL NO. The only thing more suspect than an Arkansas land deal is the notion that you can buy two "One-Sweeps" for only $10. Though I guess these ads are still marginally more acceptable than, say, a diet-drug/feel good pill. But seriously, what happened to advertising deturgents and/or canned goods during the days?

May 27 2006 at 7:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply