July 25, 2014

Ellen Pompeo wins me over on Oprah

by Anna Johns, posted May 27th 2006 11:51AM
ellen pompeo; grey's anatomyI don't even watch Grey's Anatomy but there I was, on the couch on Friday afternoon, watching Oprah. Her guest was Ellen Pompeo, who plays the lead character 'Meredith Grey' on the mega-hit ABC show. (Wow! She's toothpick thin, isn't she?) Oprah was asking her all sorts of questions about whether Meredith will choose McDreamy or The Vet and Pompeo seemed like she honestly didn't know the answer. She said she was excited to get back to work after the summer break to find out who Meredith chooses. What impressed me so much was how Pompeo seemed like she was totally into her own show. How cool is that?!?

Lily T. White

Ellen was do completely uncomfortable being on Oprah. 'Doprah' (as she's commonly called in Chicago) only had Ellen on there because Ellen has a black boyfriend and Isiah Washington is, well, Black. (And clearly a bigoted person concerning white people. Good God what a whack-job he is personally.) The whole show, as usual, was all about the Black People. It's sad how Doprah always turns everything around to 'her' people and how civil rights were so great and yada yada. Enough already. If Doprah was white and acted like that with a lone black guest, we all know that the blacks would be up in arms about this type of treatment. It's nauseating. Oprah is such a PHONY! She is nothing more than a multi-millionaire Bigoted Black Person!

July 21 2006 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

In Ellen's defense, she figured out she was on Punk'd and played it up. She said her boyfriend is friends with one of the crew and she saw the black vans driving by. She talks about it in an interview but I can't find it.

June 12 2006 at 8:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lindsey

Yeah, I saw her on Punk'd and she was really terrible, although I guess I can understand if she was really stressed out. I wonder if she always has that accent, or if she just covers it up for public appearances. She certainly doesn't have it on the show (which I think she is terrific in, by the way), and she didn't have it on Oprah. I really liked her on Oprah, she seemed nice. Isaiah Washington was also on there with her, though, and I didn't like him as much. He seemed stuck up.

May 31 2006 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kerstin

I just love Ellen Pompeo on Grey's Anatomy and I think she really can act. That she behaved so badly on Punk'd is understandable under those circumstances. Shooting long hours for the show and then having to be in a place you don't want can make you crazy. She is only human!!! I can't wait for next season of Grey's.

May 30 2006 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

She explained the punk thing on some interview by saying she had been working really long hours and her boyfriend was dragging back to the place right near work or something. She really didn't want to be there but she went for him. You know when you are so tired and just want to go relax somewhere and no one will let you? well it was the last straw and even she admitted that she went too far. She said she signed the release because that's how she really reacted and didn't think she should try to stop them from showing it. Think about it, they can't air those things unless the actor signs off on it. I kind of give her credit for letting them air it even if she does look like a bitch.

May 27 2006 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K2

There's a good description of what happened here:

She just seemed completely crazy - you really have to watch it to get a good idea. Plus she has this thick boston accent when she gets mad which isn't exactly flattering... But that's just personal taste, I guess.

May 27 2006 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

What'd she do?

May 27 2006 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
K2

Ellen Pompeo showed her true side on Punk'd, where she was a complete and utter bitch. I like her on the show, but it's somewhat tempered by the fact that she doesn't seem like a nice person in real life.

May 27 2006 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bitchskie

Two words, LOVE or HATE her! I LOVE her,she humanized Meredith Grey perfectly and i can't think of any actress portraying Meredith Grey than Ellen Pompeo.

May 27 2006 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

If only excitement was a pre-req... think of how many more great tv shows there would be. It's a shame she can't act. If you watch the show, you'd realize her inner monologues are awful. Now that may be just the writing, but they was she dilivers it reeks of bad acting. Actually, she is my only compliant about this show. The rest of the cast are terrific.

May 27 2006 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply