November 22, 2014

Ma and Pa America: They canceled what?!?

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 28th 2006 6:53PM

American GothicI came home this weekend to see my folks for Memorial Day (which coincidentally means that I've eaten an unhealthy amount of food and it's only Sunday afternoon) and we got into a pretty interesting conversation about TV. For starters, neither of them knew what "the upfronts" were and I suppose it makes sense. If I didn't follow television as much as I do, I probably wouldn't know what the upfronts were either. Moreover, I would most likely have had the same question my mother had: "Why do they call it the upfronts?" I'm not 100% sure, but I think it has something to do with the fact that ad-space is being presented to advertisers "up front" and if they sit on it, they may not be able to get the spots they want at a later date.

Apparently that went right over my Mother's head because she chose to move right on and asked what got canceled. I listed off a few that came to mind including Invasion, Surface, Conviction, and Commander in Chief. At this point, I almost got a spoon shoved into my eye. "What do you mean they got rid of Invasion?" That was my Dad. Apparently he'd like to know what happened after Larkin got thrown in the water. Well... I would too, but I didn't bother to try and get into a ratings discussion with them.

My Mother then chimed in:

Mom: So what about Commander in Chief? I thought that was excellent.

Me: ABC dropped it, but I think there was some talk of wrapping it up with a two-hour movie.

Mom: A two-hour movie? Oh that's dumb. I won't watch that.

No wonder shows don't make it.

Suzi Howe

I will miss Invasion if it truly does not return to the schedule (I am hoping that all of the complaints at cancellation will bring it back). I only hope it is not replaced with yet another "reality" show. It is so frustrating to turn on the TV to veg out for a story to entertain oneself only to find garbage! I even wrote a letter to the network asking them to reconsider the cancellation....like that will work.

June 07 2006 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shirley dew

It is a shame that we are stripped of some great SciFi but are allowed the "idiot show" Idol, and stupid shows like Everybody hates Chris or the grinding boredom of the "no-brain" "King of the Hill". The cancellation of "Surface" and "Invasion" is really a lesson in greed plus stupidity.
Look at how long the original "Star Trek" fans begged for the series to continue but only the smart ones who made the 6 movies understood.

June 03 2006 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deb Walsh

I really enjoyed Invasion and thought the finale was great. Even though the station took it off a couple times, I still managed to keep up with the episodes. What a shame I won't be able to include it in my TV scheduling. People must have thought the show didn't have enough sex, bad language, and blood and guts to keep them entertained.

June 01 2006 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron Clow

The cancellation of Invasion is the single biggest flub up ABC made this season. Each time ABC left it alone in its time slot (and didn't put it on hiatus for several weeks at a time) the viewership picked up about .5 ratings points each week until it peaked, and ABC would pull it again for something else (Evidence, Alias, a lost repeat and Barbara Walters special) and it would have to find its audience again. This was a show people were actually WATCHING and sticking to until ABC messed with it every few weeks.

This is going to take off big time once the DVD comes out in August, and some executives at ABC will be shaking their heads and wondering why they ever cancelled it, particularly when all their new fall shows will be tanking.

May 29 2006 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria

I want all the networks to know that I won't be watching any new shows in the fall. I invested a year on "Invasion", enjoyed it, and now it's canceled. I also liked "Reunion" and "Threshold", my son liked "Surface" and they were canceled in the middle of the year. It seems as if the networks are run by people who won't give shows a chance. And when the programs are pre-empted or given new timeslots/nights, it's hard to find them.

May 29 2006 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elaine

All the shows you mentioned are well worth losing. Commander in Chief had run it's course. I was a "Lost" follower but got lost after missing a couple of episodes and could never find my way back to it. Maybe when it starts again(IS IT?, I can find my way back to it. There are very few GOOD programs on now days to the point I look forward to LAW & ORDER RERUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 29 2006 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SenorWeird

Thank you, Man. I haven't laughed that hard in a long while!

May 29 2006 at 6:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

Oh Valerie, I'm still waitng for American Gothic to come back for one final episode but if Shaun Cassidy can move on them I guess so will I.

May 29 2006 at 4:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Valerie

Hey, I've been looking online for stuff about the cancellation of Invasion, and I came across your blog. Thought I'd pass along some info about Invasion that I've found. :)

So anyway, I've found out that there is an online petition that has been started to save Invasion, and it already has over 20,000 signatures!
I've also found a site called SaveInvasion.net and they are starting a campaign to get Invasion back. They have alot of cool ideas, one of them being for everyone to send a water bottle to ABC, and they have special Invasion labels to print out and put on the bottles. With the bottles they are putting a note that says the water is for the upcoming hurricane season. (Remember that one episode where all the hybrids were buying up all the bottles of water for the hurricane? That's where they got this dea.) The site also has the mailing address for ABC, so even if you don't want to sent a bottle of water, you can still send a letter.
So, anyway, there are alot of other people upset about the cancellation of Invasion, so you and your dad aren't alone. :)
If you want to check out that website, the address is: www.SaveInvasion.net
And if you feel like it, you can send a letter or a bottle of water to ABC. I'm going to send them some water. Who knows, maybe it will get Invasion back. Maybe not, but I'll never know if I don't try!

May 29 2006 at 3:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

Too bad there's not a "Gunsmoke with Marshall Dillon against the Aliens" show...

May 28 2006 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply