December 21, 2014

Grey's Anatomy: jumping the shark?

by Bob Sassone, posted May 29th 2006 6:09PM
Grey's AnatomyIs it possible for a TV show to jump the shark before its first season is even over? TV writer Lee Goldberg thinks that it may have. The L.A. Times has a story about how a lot of people in the medical profession think that the popular ABC medical drama has already gone way over the top. Specifically, they're talking about the season finale and the plot about an intern getting involved with a patient.

I've never seen the show, so I can't say that it has jumped the shark or not. But I guess my first question is: people are actually still using the term "jumping the shark?" That's soooo 2001.

Robert

Wow, no one remembers the stupid "Code Black" bomb in the ER episode? For me, that's when it jumped the shark. Worse: having a frickin' prom at the hospital? The show's podcast says that it's because the show's creator wanted to see everyone all dressed up ... and this is the best way she could figure that one out? Add Izzy's behavior, without consequence, to the mix, and it's gotten pretty bad. I hope that they'll reign in the more ridiculous aspects and keep the fun, romantic story lines going with some interesting medical cases.

May 31 2006 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Here's the real question can a show "jump the shark" (a phrase which has of course "jumped the shark") simply because it's unrealistic (and Lee Goldberg is one to talk about unrealistic - remember the second season of "Martial Law"?). People are willing to accept these people acting in this way because this isn't "ER" or even "House", and we don't want it to be. The show is a romantic comedy that happens to take place in a hospital not a medical drama that happens to have romantic comedy elements. And if you want to concern yourself with believability, how about "Diagnosis Murder" where doctor at a major hospital spends more time solving crimes with his son than he does actually diagnosing and treating illnesses. Written by Lee Goldberg.

May 30 2006 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

I don't watch this show, but I was pulled in to part 1 of the finale. I was shocked by how unrealistic the writing was (and yes, I love 24) and I often commented on it throughout the show. Apparently, people only watch the show for some guy to get with some girl. I guess, seemed stupid to me...unwatchable. Bargaining over a heart? Huh? Don't those things have to go in someone ASAP? Don't get me started.

At least on 24, sh!t blows up.

May 30 2006 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

In regards to "Jumping the Shark", Henry Winkler (THe Fonz) appeared on TV Guide Channel's "Square Off" and said that he was the only person to "Jump The Shark" twice.
First, on "Happy Days" and the second time, most recently, on "Arrested Development" as a wink to the audience.

May 30 2006 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HandMade

ive been saying this since season 1. I cant watch this watercooler crap anymore.

May 30 2006 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

Is the medical side of the show really what people are watching. Anyone with a minute udnerstanding of hospitals can see this is a fantasy -- or they at least should be able to see that. No one watches Grey's Anatomy for its medical accuracy. They watch it for the shear lunacy of what the characters do.

May 30 2006 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Smeagle

This show was in the sharks belly the day some genius writer decided to copy ER. And use bland dull characters to boot.

May 30 2006 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Guido

I think Bob has also jumped the shark.. mainly for reporting on a show he's never seen.

Who cares what the medical community thinks? I watch TV for entertainment not a science lesson.

May 30 2006 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Man

Is Dr.Funbags saying that Bob Sassone jumped the shark on TVSquad/Weblog Inc.?
I could see if he accused AOL for the jump but not our guy Bob, especially after not having a link to my blog in the top twenty list.

I personally loved TV Tome but they jumped the shark big time after the whole CNET thing.

My blog never jumped the shark but it generally sucks, sorry Dr.Funbags.

May 30 2006 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

well, i hate to seem like i'm defending GA (i think the series started over the shark), but Scrubs did the same thing(same thing? Greys Taking a Scrubs plotline? nooooooo...) in its 1st season. of course that was done with better acting and writing, but that wasn't a jump the shark moment there.

just saying it's TV and just becasue medical professionals say something jumped the shark doesn't mean much. what matters is the TV Geek Elite's opinion.

and walt... unless a show is Newhart, most episodes that are dreams run a VERY HIGH risk of being jump the shark moments.

May 30 2006 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply