August 1, 2014

Paul Gleason dead at 67

by Annie Wu, posted May 29th 2006 7:51AM
Paul GleasonIt's not often that a celebrity obituary throws me into such a sudden shock that I can't do anything but stare blankly at the screen for several minutes. Well, this is one of them. Actor Paul Gleason passed away on Saturday from a rare form of asbestos-related lung cancer. He was 67 years-old. Gleason has appeared in various television roles, but he's probably most recognized as the vicious Principal Vernon from The Breakfast Club. The film has a very special place in my heart because when my friends and I have to dress up in costume for something, we always go as the Club (and I'm always the Basketcase).

This news is really quite upsetting. Time for me to break the news to the rest of my Breakfast Club.

Chris

Great character actor...

May 30 2006 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shawn mccollum

I really liked him in jonny be good with jennifer tilly, crap movie but the part at his home in the movie was hilarious. He was also good in diehard, but of couse i'll always rememeber him from breakfast club.

May 30 2006 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tweaq

IMDB says hes 62, and his middle name is Xavier; how awesome is that. He also has a movie comming out. Good guy, he was in about everything.

May 29 2006 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina

Really a shame -- such a great character actor. And he had the same form of lung cancer that killed Warren Zevon.

May 29 2006 at 7:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

This actor did such a fantastic job playing pricks in movies and television. He was talented. Condolences to his family and may he R.I.P.

May 29 2006 at 6:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LittlexLeota

He is one of the better character actors of his time. It is such a loss and I feel sad for his friends and family. The Breakfast Club and Trading Places were two of his funnier movies, in my humble opinion.

May 29 2006 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LittlexLeota

I especially liked him or disliked him as the case may be :-) in The Breakfast Club. He was a great character actor. It is sad to read of his passing.

May 29 2006 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karl Erikson

Yep, I was in shock when I first heard about this last night. Sad. He was a really good actor and "The Breakfast Club" was certainly one of my faves.

May 29 2006 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Smeagle, you've got the point. I didn't understand who is it, until I saw the photo. It's a pitty :(. RIP

May 29 2006 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Smeagle

Paul Gleason is one of those actors whose name you might not know but whose face is immediately recognizable. He was a very talented actor and extremely funny. I'll always remember him as Professor Ted McDoogle from Van Wilder. "Don't Mess With the Bull". RIP

May 29 2006 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply