September 2, 2014

Another signal that I'm getting old: Sally Field's Boniva commercial

by Joel Keller, posted May 30th 2006 11:21AM
Sally Field for Bone HealthI turned 35 today, and, boy am I feeling it. None of us is getting any younger; even our youngest writer, Annie Wu, felt the march of time when Paul Gleason from The Breakfast Club passed away. But daytime TV is showing me a commercial that's making me shake my head in depression every single time I see it:

Gidget has osteoperosis.

That's right, kiddies: Sally Field, who burst onto the scene in the mid-'60s as everyone's favorite teenaged beach bunny, then went on to play roles ranging from The Flying Nun to Norma Rae, is now old enough to not only suffer from weakening bones, but to promote a drug that helps strengthen them.

Field's commercials for Boniva, a once-a-month treatment for osteoperosis, started appearing a few weeks ago, and the 59-year-old Oscar winner is part of an ongoing campaign to promote bone health in older women (here is the official web site). Sounds like a great idea. I just never imagined Carrie from Smokey and the Bandit as an "older" lady. What's next? Loni Anderson in ads for estrogen supplements?

Doc

Looks really old?? ARe you people nuts? Her face is fresh, unblemished, her voice is vital and up-tone. I think she looks maybe twenty years younger than her physical age.

August 19 2006 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doc

Re Boniva and Sally Fields...

The point is..in my book...how young she still looks. She looks absolutely terrific!

--Doc

August 19 2006 at 1:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Indedave

Just saw Sally "You-really-like-me!"- Fields' commercial and was seriously depressed. I had to Google to make sure it was her because she is so OLD, both in appearance and her voice. "Old age isn't for sissies." -- variously attributed to Art Linkletter, Bette Davis and Satchel Paige. And you are old if you know those names.

July 01 2006 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

Danielle: I used to watch 20/20 when I was a kid, actually. My cousin said he didn't know any kid... or many adults, who knew what "karoshi" was.

(Karoshi = death by overwork)

May 30 2006 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

LOL @ a signal you're getting old... I had my first getting older moment the other night. I was looking to see what I could TIVO in the week and saw 20/20. I said without thinking, " Sometimes 20/20 is a really good show". Now, laughed because I remember seeing that before and thinking it was for old people and here I am 34 and liking it...lol..
Hey, I still watch those "soap" type shows on Mtv so I guess I'm not too old... =D

By the way, ** Happy Birthday **

May 30 2006 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim Goral

You said it Gene (3). Sally Fields still has the cute factor going for her, even at (hard to believe) 60.

May 30 2006 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shari

That is funny. I watching tv over the weekend and saw that. I thought exactly the same thing. "Boy is this depressing, even Gidget and The Flying Nun." Made me feel VERY OLD as well.

May 30 2006 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Happy Birthday Joel!

May 30 2006 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene

I'm not entirely sure that one must be "old" to suffer from osteoporosis, nevertheless, let me chime in by saying that Sally Field, who turns 60 in November, looks STUNNING. She still looks like that girlish Gidget to me!

May 30 2006 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply