September 30, 2014

Dennis Farina leaving Law and Order

by Bob Sassone, posted May 30th 2006 8:42PM
Dennis FarinaAfter two seasons, Dennis Farina is leaving his role as Detective Joe Fontana on the long-running NBC hit Law and Order. He's going to pursue other projects and work on his production company.

This is probably a good move for Farina. He's a good actor (he's one of those actors who is good in everything he's in, even if what he's in isn't that good), but Law and Order wasn't the best showcase for him. It's not exactly a show that leaves room for meaty acting or character development. It's all about the crime, the investigation, and the trial, and there's no room for anything else really. Besides, the show has really gone downhill, with all the "ripped from the headlines" cases.

No word yet on who will replace him.

Valerie Carol Diamond

Dennis Farina is not aging gracefully and could never be as powerful as Jerry Orbach who was more then just a hoofer. Orbach took Broadway by storm and was indeed versatile, where Dennis just plods along and gets typecast too quickly in acting roles that he elects to do. He works best in things that are original like Crime Story. Michael Mann needs to get involved in creating a new project for Farina since Dennis fizzled in Buddy Faro, also. Maybe Michael Chiklis can give him a bit part on The Shield.

July 30 2006 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John T.

I've always liked Dennis Farina. I'll miss him.

June 15 2006 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dmo

I enjoyed the Fontana character and most of the L & O episodes---but from what I have read about Farina, I can see why he is moving on to other ventures.
Perhaps we can look forward to some meaty film roles or special TV appearances??
Farina is an enjoyable actor to watch on the big or small screen!

June 05 2006 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cie

Law and Order is a great show (except for the new Conviction one). The Trial By Jury with Tracey (Bebe Neuwarth) was great if they had replaced the boring blond one though. SVU is terrific, Elliot is the best actor. The way writers killed off Alexandra (Annie Parise) was horrible!! Too violent an end for a good character! Criminal Intent with Eames and Goran is the best!!! The other team is getting better. Now, as for Dennis Farina leaving, the writers/producers should go all out and cast either/both Ed O'Neil or Sharon Gless!! Both are fabulous actors with substance and would skyrocket the ratings. (BTW Criminal Minds is taking off well due to Mandy Pitinkin,and the funny Garcia character, the rest are unbearable)My point is that L&O needs a high-voltage replacement! Ed O'neil was great in Big Apple and Dragnet! Sharon Gless always fabulous and fun to watch. Another possibility is Tyne Daly, age should not matter because look at the rest of the actors, all over 50ish and great!!

June 03 2006 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pamela varney

Will miss him a lot, always the best in every thing he does. Thank heavens we have lots more episodes to go here in Australia. Here's wishing you the very best. Pamela

June 01 2006 at 6:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annette

I LOVE him on Law and Order and am terribly distressed he's leaving, but I DO wish him well. By the way, why was Annie Parisse killed off, does anyone know?

June 01 2006 at 12:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maryanne

i agree with the people who said this is not a good showcase for Dennis . I had the pleasure of meeting Dennis in a Walgreens in Miami where he was making a movie and he is just the nicest guy you would want to meet. He was so pleasant and not a bit affected by his celebrity. I wish him well in whatever he pursues as he is an excellent actor.
i was so crazy about him in Crime Story.
Good luck Dennis.

May 31 2006 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole

I have to agree, I love Farina and have for many years since I waited on him, (when he was a Chicago Cop-nice tipper too) but this role just didn't suit him. The only 2 names that pop in my head to replace him are Neal McDonough or James Naughton. It's so true no one will ever be able to fill Orbach's shoes, that's for sure.

May 31 2006 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Didn't care for him. I agree, Jerry Orbach left big shoes to fill. This new guy was too gritty, and appeared to be corrupt. To his credit, he's not Ice-T.

May 31 2006 at 8:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Moncur

Good for him! I thought he'd breathe new life into Law and Order, but instead it's been suppressing him. He deserves a more exciting role. Maybe even a comedy.

L&O has been getting worse and worse lately. It seems like every episode follows the same formula, and the "twinkie defense of the week" gets tiring. Maybe they'll replace a writer or two while they're replacing Farina and Annie Parisse.

May 31 2006 at 7:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply