November 21, 2014

ABC offers a preview of its fall schedule

by Anna Johns, posted May 31st 2006 11:41AM
abc logoYou can get a really good idea of ABC's fall schedule right here, where Yahoo! has posted clips from 12 of ABC's new shows for the fall. Clips include Brothers & Sisters (Calista Flockhart), Day Break (Taye Diggs), Men in Trees (Anne Heche), The Nine (Scott Wolf), Six Degrees (created by J.J. Abrams), Traveler, Betty the Ugly, Big Day, Help Me Help You (Ted Danson), In Case of Emergency, Let's Rob..., and Notes from the Underbelly.

Some early thoughts after the jump:
  • Calista Flockhart looks really puffy;
  • Taye Diggs looks really hot but the premise of his show, where a cop relives the same day to find a killer, is silly;
  • Anne Heche needs to gain some weight and stop annoying me;
  • I don't understand where The Nine is going to go after the pilot where nine people are held hostage during a bank robbery and then, according to the clips, all meet up for a jovial dinner together;
  • Betty the Ugly, about an unattractive girl who lands a gig as an assistant to a fashion magazine editor, looks promising;
  • Jonathan Silverman is overacting in the comedy, In Case of Emergency;
  • Notes from the Underbelly reminds me of the comedy stylings of Scrubs;
  • Unfortunately, the clips from J.J. Abrams' new show, Six Degrees, are boring (but he's J.J. Abrams, so we'll all give it a try anyway, won't we?);
  • The flickering of Yahoo!'s video player is maddening, which may explain my sour attitude toward some of these pilots.
[Thanks for the tip, Jeff! Leave a comment and I'll give you a star.]

jeff

keith, the cw did NOT pick up Aquaman.

June 08 2006 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff

thanks Anne, you rock!
fyi, nbc on yahoo has clips of some of its new series, and the cw has runaway and the game clips up

June 08 2006 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel Solis

I hate to see J.J. with so many projects. I think he should focus on LOST and telling us what the heck is going on.

May 31 2006 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

I'm disagree about the premise of DayBreak being silly. The same plot device was used for comedy in Groundhog Day, I'd like to see how they use it for drama.

May 31 2006 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keith L.

Still hoping the CW picks up INvasion! they dont have much to work with now...look they picked up Aquaman!!! what does that tell ya!

May 31 2006 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iraida

Betty the Ugly is based on the spanish soap opera "Betty la fea" Hope it's as good.

May 31 2006 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Invasion got the axe a while ago, Wendy :( . Our only hope is that it'll be a late CW pickup. Otherwise, we'll have to watch the DVD of the unfulfilled and underappreciated season one over and over once it comes out in august.

May 31 2006 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wendy

What happened to Invasion?????

May 31 2006 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ETM

But J.J Abrams didn't even create Six Degrees, he just gets the executive producer title because the show's being produced by his production company Bad Robot!

May 31 2006 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

I am of a similar mind to Jake where Abrams is concerned. 'Created by JJ Abrams' is taking on a negative connotation for me. I suspect going in that there is a great premise, but I have no confidence that the writers and producers are going to be able to pull it off in any kind of coherent or satisfying way . Fool me once (Alias), shame on you, fool me twice (LOST), shame on me. No reason to try again.

May 31 2006 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply