Hicks signs record deal; get ready for Doobie Brothers covers

by Bob Sassone, posted May 31st 2006 8:59PM
Taylor HicksIt a bit of anti-climactic news, American Idol winner Taylor Hicks has signed a record deal with Clive Davis (surprise!), who will now guide the new star's music career. The first two singles, "Do I Make You Proud?" and a cover of the Doobie Brothers classic tune, "Takin' It To The Streets."

I was afraid this could happen. Just because Hicks can do an impersonation of the Doobie Brothers' lead singer sounds a lot like the Doobie Brothers lead singer, they have to actually give him that as one of the songs to do on his first album? What is he, a parrot? Is this album going to be filled with all Doobie Brothers and Ray Charles covers, and maybe a special DVD of Hicks dancing?

I still wonder what's going to happen to Katharine McPhee. Maybe her first album with contain 10 tracks, and the first 6 will all be "Somewhere Over The Rainbow."

Dennis

From the auditions to the end of the show, I thought Taylor had a great personality, was genuine and a real breath of fresh air to the American Idol show. It does, however, amaze me that his personality could be so strong an influence, that people would overlook the fact that he is at best an average singer. He particularly has trouble with ballads, often singing slightly off key and is not able to hold notes for any length of time. I wonder if people will buy his music just for the quality of his voice.

June 09 2006 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MJ Atlanta

Hello Bob,

You knew how to achieve the most comments on an article didn't you? Clever boy. Just make a few negative comments about Taylor Hicks voice and his lack of blab, blah.

Fact is Bob, as a first time AI fan, I was completely impressed with Taylor's musical talents, harmonica and all, the first time I heard him audition. Ever since that time, I have been so impressed with him not only as a gifted singer, but his personality fits like a very comfortable shoe *s*....He has millions of fans...no matter what he sings, it's HIS song. We look so forward to being entertained by this "once in a lifetime" performer! There has been NO Taylor Hicks forthcoming for a very long time, thank goodness he was discovered, now I can FINALLY enjoy a performer whose got it all...TAYLOR HICKS.

June 07 2006 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Celeste

Hey Angie, WORD on Taylor and Little Feat--I'd buy that! And Terri--is your standard rejoinder to anyone who doesn't agree with you that they're jealous? If you don't like negative remarks, got get in bed and pull the covers over your head. Grow up.

June 07 2006 at 6:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AmStarr

But where will all these "Idols" be in two years? I sure hope they maximize their 15 minutes of fame.

June 05 2006 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rachel

Brian, what makes you so sure that 90% of the posts are made by middle-aged women? That's awfully presumptious of you. By the way Brian, just out of curiosity, who was YOUR pick for American Idol, hmmmmmm?

June 04 2006 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LP

People should buy Taylor's CD. Great songwriter and musician. Hope American Idol gives him a chance to show it! Contracts....

June 01 2006 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Madeleine

I wanted to add that Kelly Clarksons first album was not that good either, she bombed on that one but her following CD's were all winners. I think thats what is going to happen to Taylor, the first CD is Clive Davis's choice evidently and then he can choose his own songs, I'm sure Taylor will do that. He also said he is going to (Taylor)ize everything in the album so maybe it will be a hit anyway, he has a pretty big fan base and I'm sure they will buy it no matter waht. He'll do fine, he has a really nice personality too, I didn't vote for him but he deserves to be up there, I wish him luck.

June 01 2006 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Madeleine

I saw Taylor on Good Morning America this morning, I got up extra early to see him and next was Elliot on The Regis Philbin show. I thought Taylor was awful, he was live and he screeched his way through whatever song it was he was singing,he sounded like a Michael Bolton imprersonator, standing on a stage next to Rockefeller center in NYC. He looked pretty good though but George Clooney he's not, if I were George I'd sue. All the gimmicks in the world is not going to sustain this guy unless he just goes back to his funky style, thats really all he has to offer. Elliot sounded great, just accompanied by a piano, he went back to the old hair style unfortunately but when he sings he looks like a movie star. He was personalble and friendly and the girls were screaming when his name was mentioned. Time will tell.

June 01 2006 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

Geez, enough with the hair! Get over it! Finally there's an original "Idol" - he isnt a pretty boy, he's a real person, not fake or plastic. I find him refreshing. He's getting better and better, and I think he'll do well.

Some of you sound pretty jealous.

June 01 2006 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Just Me

One thing that is different about Taylor: He is old enough to know who he is musically and to stand up for himself as far as the contract will let him. I completely believe that his full-length CD will be "Taylorized" just as his fans expect it to be.

June 01 2006 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply