October 31, 2014

Is there really a difference between Gibson and Couric?

by Bob Sassone, posted May 31st 2006 12:02PM
Charles GibsonIn this Slate story about the "real" reasons behind the departure of Elizabeth Vargas from ABC's World News Tonight - you can debate the whole "is she being let go because she's pregnant?" question, because I think it's a shaky argument to delve into and is sort of an insult to Vargas and her pregnancy - there's a quote from a journalism professor about Charlie Gibson (taking over for Vargas) and Katie Couric (taking over for Bob Schieffer):

"Gibson is an excellent choice, and having him start three months before Katie Couric is probably a good strategy. Gibson is a solid newsman, old school, nothing frilly or fancy. The contrast with Couric will be stunningly obvious."

Now wait a second. Isn't Gibson coming from Good Morning America, a morning talk show just like The Today Show? I've seen him talk about American Idol and interview movie stars and help with the cooking segments, so how is that different from Couric (regardless of the years that Gibson has over Couric)? Has anyone who has seen Couric handle serious news - from 9/11 to Columbine to Katrina - really think she can't be a serious prescence on the evening news? It's not like they're bringing in Bozo The Clown or Martha Stewart to do the news, she's been a newsperson for a while. Hell, even Mike Wallace did morning shows and cheesy commercials.

I don't know, the quote seems out of touch.

Chris Wyant

I think Gibson and Couric are both very warm and personnable. Having done what they have for as long as they have, people feel like they're friends and neighbors (even if Ms. Couric is rumored to be a total b**ch). I think they will do just fine in their new jobs. I personally don't watch the evening news regularly, but I've seen Brian Williams do some good reporting and then drop the F bomb on the Daily Show. Anderson Cooper was co-hosting Regis the other day talking about "My Super Sweet 16". I don't need my news[persons] to be boring in order to respect them.

June 01 2006 at 7:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daniel Solis

Both Katie and Charlie are used to having fun on the morning shows so I think they will quickly get bored from the serious all news and no lifestyle environment of the news anchor desk.

May 31 2006 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

I am no fan of Katie and her lefty beliefs. That said, she did a decent job with the breaking 9/11 coverage on NBC that morning.

May 31 2006 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cammj

Andrew, (#2), can you give us the address of the website hosting news clips of the Trade Center attacks? I was watching live tv at the time, and am interested in comparing my memories with the actual broadcasts. I seem to recall an inappropriate 'lightness' in some of the coverage.

May 31 2006 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richard fusilier

Charles Gibson is a personable handsome, friendly and sincere appearing journalist and I'll watch him whenever I can! This Couric should be saying goodby for good. I'll never watch her or the Channel featuring her and that goes`for that other side-kick of hers.

May 31 2006 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennifer

CHARLIE HAS CLASS, THATS THE DIFFERENCE, HES NOT A BUBBLE HEAD LIKE KATIE, SHE REMINDS ME OF HIGH SCHOOL!
HATE HER, LOVE CHARLIE, HE WILL BE MISSED ON GMA

May 31 2006 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

Who out there even watches network news anymore?

Besides, all the MSM newscasts are all the same: tilting to the left.

May 31 2006 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Who even watches network news anymore, or for that matter needs to? I still read a morning newspaper plus there's the internet, not to mention CNN, MSNBC and Fox.

May 31 2006 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

FYI - Katie has said in a recent interview that she would not go to Iraq because of her family. That it was too dangerous and she doesn't think a single parent should do that. How come she's not getting flack for it? The article you linked mentions how leaving for two weeks in Iraq when you have a newborn at home was something Elizabeth didn't want to do. Well she shouldn't have to go with a newborn at home. Sorry, sometime there is a gender difference and until men can have babies themselves, get over it. This shouldn't be about Elizabeth getting pregnant, this should be about the ratings slipping now that she is the sole anchor and they want to make a change before Katie is on the air. Duh! I agree with the author of the Slate article, using Elizabeth's pregnancy as the excuse is horrible and Elizabeth shouldn't let it happen.

May 31 2006 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

I think Katie will do alright doing the evening news.
She has a serious side as well as a funny side to her.
She is a very smart woman and knows what she is doing.
I wish Katie all the best.

May 31 2006 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply