December 22, 2014

Ever wish you were animated?

by Adam Finley, posted Jun 1st 2006 3:06PM

lucySo I was reading this piece about Bonnie Hunt, who says she used to sit with a cup in front of her television to try and catch characters like Fred Flintstone in case they slipped out of her television screen. Her plan as a young girl was to keep Fred and other cartoon characters stowed away in her dresser drawer for safe keeping. I have to admit that's rather adorable, and it also made me think back to when I was younger and cartoons seemed more "real" to me than they really are. I used to wish I could be a character in any of the Peanuts specials. I'd philosophize with Linus, be extra nice to Charlie Brown, and maybe get in a shouting match with Lucy. Although, her psychiatric rates are reasonable, I'll give her that.

So how about the rest of you? Was there a cartoon you loved so much you wished you could somehow have your body altered a la Kid Video and jump in and join all your favorite characters?

Kurifurisan

I made my parents buy me a second Nintendo after seeing Captain N the game master so I could make a costume and try to help Kevin defeat Mother Brain.

June 03 2006 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

This kind of transcends just cartoons, but Spider-Man's my pick... How cool would it be to just zip around everywhere and climb walls. Of course, I wouldn't be as socially responsible as him... Maybe I'd beat up some bad guys, but only if I wasn't doing something cool at the time.

June 02 2006 at 7:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

I didn't exactly want to be in this cartoon when I was a little kid, but if you'll remember on Muppet Babies...you only saw the stocking legs of the nanny. I used to think If I could just get a bigger TV I'd be able to see all of her and see what she really looked like!

I know...I didn't quite understand how tv works! What can I say, I was five!

June 02 2006 at 12:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nithin

There is only one cartoon charcter i've always wanted to be...and that's the one and only Calvin.

"I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

June 01 2006 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Hoffpauir

Well I remember the Heavy Metal animated movie and I would love to be in it ;) But besides that I would have to say any of the new superhero cartoons like the MTV Spiderman or Justice League.

June 01 2006 at 4:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

I always wanted my own Transformer, or one of the Voltron robots.

June 01 2006 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

I used to go to Catholic school and stopped into church often in 2rd grade to pray that God would make Prince Planet (a.k.a Bobby) a real boy. If I could be Diana, the girl on the ranch where he was staying, I'd make him shout "Pee Pazowee" more than he did when fighting bad guys!

June 01 2006 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karl Erikson

Well, certainly any of the "Peanuts" shows would be a fab place to be. But there are a number of other cartoons I'd love to be a part of.

"The Banana Splits" - come on, who doesn't want to sing that theme song while running around a playground in a big ol' costume?

"Scooby Doo, Where Are You?" - the original series, thanks very much. No friggin' Scrappy. And preferrably with good guest stars like The Addams Family or The Three Stooges or Batman and Robin.

"Josie and the Pussycats" - Lots of fun tail.

"The Flinstones" - I'd get my own Bedrockified name. Maybe Karl Erikstone or something like that. Plus I could zip around in my feet-propelled car. Something soothing about never having to wear shoes and being able to converse with your household appliances.

"Looney Tunes" - this is perhaps the ultimate. Hanging out with Bugs and ridiculing Daffy and Porky and Yosemite Sam? Are you kidding? How cool would that be?

June 01 2006 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply