October 25, 2014

American Dad gets early renewal for 2007-08 season

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 2nd 2006 3:39PM
American DadDoes FOX see something in this show that a lot of other people (including me) don't see? I've seen 5 or 6 episodes, and I don't find it that funny. As I've said before, I'd watch a show based around Roger the Alien with the Paul Lynde voice, but I just don't find the show that entertaining. Certainly not on the level of The Simpsons or Family Guy.

But FOX has given the green light for 22 more episodes for the 2007-08 season. In fact, the show will probably get better ratings this fall, as it moves into the time slot right after The Simpsons.

[via TV Tattle]

Rocko

well yea of course futurama was alot better. It's alot better than 98% of the shows on TV! But American Dad is actually very very funny, and reminds me alot of the Larry & Steve cartoon McFarlane did for OH YEAH CARTOONS, which was actually linear (and a very funny cartoon too, even though it was aimed for kids) American Dad is a whole lot better than new Family Guy, which 90% of their humor is now from strange esoteric references made as fast as you can. There was probably a meeting where the new writer (there HAD to be a new writer that screwed everything up) suggested its only funny if you can make over 53 strange references before the first commercial break.

American Dad is plot-driven, which owns so hard. I love it I love it I LOVE IT!! (also its funny too, good plot AND funny)

June 04 2006 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gabe

Futurama was far better :

June 03 2006 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Shapiro

Family Guy is a pile of crap, American Dad is just a taller pile of crap

June 03 2006 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

American Dad has gotten much better since it started. Count me in as one of the many who feels that classic Family Guy tops American Dad, but American Dad tops all but a handful of new Family Guy (of the 30 new episodes of FG that have aired between May 2005 and May 2006, I can name six at most that are anywhere near as funny as pre-cancellation Family Guy, and half of those six are the Stewie Griffin DVD movie).

June 03 2006 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

I also havent found recent family guy that funny, but love American Dad

June 03 2006 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryce

I think the first few episodes of this show were awesome. But at least, even though not as good as the first few, this show is constantly good. I haven't really liked any of the new Family Guy episodes at all.

June 02 2006 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

If this show gets better treatment from Fox than Futurama did, I'm gonna be pissed.

June 02 2006 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lampbane

Lately, American Dad has been better than Family Guy. Maybe that's what their reasoning is. If people keep watching Family Guy, then they must be watching American Dad.

June 02 2006 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doron

I was reading a review of the first season set in Empire Magazine (a UK-based popular film mag) and they gave it a high rating, which was weird: http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?TVID=10758

June 02 2006 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

I agree, but Family Guy got better with age. Perhaps FOX has the same faith with American Dad.

June 02 2006 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply