October 30, 2014

Jaleel White is NOT dead!

by Richard Keller, posted Jun 3rd 2006 10:17AM

NOT Jaleel White. Not, not not!I need everyone to take a deep breath and calm down. For some reason a rumor has been circulating around the internet that Jaleel White, who played the nerdy-but-lovable Urkel on the TGIF staple Family Matters, committed suicide anywhere between December, 2005 and last month. An alleged Associated Press report stated that White left a suicide note with his former catchphrase "Did I do that?" next to his body. A picture of a gentleman that was supposed to look like Jaleel (except with shaved head. See right) was connected to the story. These rumors eventually reached us here at TV Squad central.

Well, folks, it isn't Jaleel. So, you can all breathe a sigh of relief. It's all a hoax that began at the end of 2005 and, for some reason, popped up again recently. In fact, he recently appeared in an episode of 24 according to iMDb.

So, before you build the makeshift memorials, and have Family Matters parties to commemorate the life of Jaleel White, please go to museumofhoaxes for proof that Urkel is alive and well.

[Bless Von for the time-saving tip]

UPDATE: Folks, your hopes and prayers for Jaleel have not gone unanswered. We were able to get in touch with Mr. White and this is what he had to say:

I'm very much alive and well. Thank you to all who have chosen to spread the truth about my mortality.

Jaleel

KN0W1NG Phrivis0000

Whew .. : ) I am so relieved I was crying so so hard on 2008 when on the news at online it said he committed you know ....... But i know i am the happiest person in the universe now ^^ knowing heis alive and well. I love Jaleel, we will always cherish the days your on earth!

December 03 2012 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
angie

whew.. man am i relieved! i can't believe i even fell for that rumor in the first place lol. jaleel's an awesome guy and it's a breath of fresh air knowing he's still alive and kickin' with us ^_^

July 26 2006 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
antoinette johnson

Jaleel White suppose to have shot hisself july 21 ,2006

July 23 2006 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

Jaleel White was not dead as of January 2006. I worked with him in the upcoming film "DREAMGIRLS." He was very much alive and absolutely gorgeous. A fine young black man.

July 17 2006 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nunu

Im so happy that this is not true.When I heard this it felt like someone real close to me was gone, I just felt so hurt and i cried for days, I heard this a week ago and Ive been trying to get information about it. Im just so happy that its not true thank god..... and he is really cute, handsome, and words to descibe him in a good wasy...

July 05 2006 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wavemama

Im very happy that this story is not true. I never believed it in the first place. Jaleel seems to me to be a level head and very content person. He has alot going for him. For instance, those dimples! Stay strong, brotha!

June 29 2006 at 4:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gara

o my goodness jaleel i am so relieved to know that you are alright. when i heard about this silly little rumor i seriously could have cried. but then a few hours later i heard on the radio that it was a rumor and that you were alive and well. thank goodness. I just think you look so good and you are extremly talented. I really hope to see you acting again real soon. PEACE AND LOVE!! LOVE YA!!

June 22 2006 at 1:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michelle walker

June 19 2006 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melissa

oh!!! Thank God. I am so relieved to hear this. I coulden't believe Jaleel would have done something so crazy.( I always had second thought about this bogus story and that picture looks nothing like my jaleel)Much love goes out to you jaleel.

June 17 2006 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Platypus

He recently played Turk L. Stevensen on 24 (season 5, episode 22). I just noticed the Steven urkL (Steve Urkel haha) in his name. Pics of him in this episode should be floating around soon.

June 16 2006 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply