October 25, 2014

Do you watch TV movies even though you own the DVD?

by Anna Johns, posted Jun 5th 2006 9:25AM
fifth elementI always do this. Last night, I was watching The Fifth Element on TNT even though I own it on DVD. The profanity was edited out and it had commercial breaks, yet I kept watching it instead of putting the DVD in and watching it all the way through. (Probably because Lelu kicks ass!) I've also been known to watch O Brother, Where Art Thou? and The Lord of the Rings, even though I also own those on DVD.

Does anybody else do this? What movies do you find yourself watching on TV even though you own the DVD?

Andrew M.

I own the DVDs for BATMAN BEGINS, THE EDGE and A TIME TO KILL, but always manage to get sucked into watching them when they air on TV.

FYI, it's Leeloo.

June 05 2006 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trevor

This happened to me early last week. The Italian Job was on tv but instead of watching it on tv, i grabbed my dvd and popped it in. If I own the movie I'd rather watch it unedited and make my own commercial breaks. But sometimes if I'm just clicking through and I see a favourite scene from a movie, I'll watch the scene and then keep on clicking.

June 05 2006 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sherman

I do it with Shawshank Redemption (have it on VHS only), as well as The Sting......

June 05 2006 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I hate to be the comic book guy here, but it is "Leeloo" and not 'Lelu'

June 05 2006 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

The only movies that I have on DVD that I have watched on cable are Clerks and South Park: Bigger Longer Uncut. And both of those were on the late night uncensored Comedy Central block.

June 05 2006 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PhantomProphet

I'll do you one better.
Everytime I see Friday on TV (which they play faily often) I watch it.
It's not the same with Chris saying "you got knocked the Freak out" and yet I still watch...

June 05 2006 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
90014

You actions should be criminal! When I download X and play it my way, even though I purchased X in it's uncomfortable format, I can be sued!

June 05 2006 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I did the same thing for Element, and i did it for Exit wounds the night before. I didnt watch the entire movies, but I stayed around for a good 45 minutes.

June 05 2006 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tym

At one time, I'd always watch the broadcast copy. However, due to practices at TNT and even AMC I've mostly given up the practice of watching a broadcast version of a DVD I own, for one basic reason: THE CUTS!

Nothing so galling as to be getting into the story, when the station cuts something...

June 05 2006 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HardwareGuy

I did the same thing with Fifth Element last night, but mainly because it was in HD, so I could get a little extra visual awesomeness in trade for commercials and less swearing.

June 05 2006 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply