July 25, 2014

HBO and Milch make a Deadwood deal

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 5th 2006 8:58AM
DeadwoodFirst it looked like there wasn't going to be a fourth season of Deadwood at all. Then David Milch said he was trying to raise the $60 million himself for another season. Now comes official word that Milch and HBO have reached a deal. After this third season, the show will wrapup with two two-hour movies.

Interestingly, HBO did offer Milch a fourth season. But it was for only 6 episodes, and Milch didn't want to do that. So they're going with the movies instead.

mr. O

"I simply don't understand why HBO & Milch is taking Deadwood off, period"

Milch doesn't get to decide what Deadwood "takes off". He is an independant producer and it's mentioned above that he wanted a full season. HBO is making way for a new show that they've repeatedly publicly said is the reason Deadwood's slot isn't available for an enitre season. Simple, Google-search stuff.

And Six Feet Under ran for 5 seasons...a lot longer than the vast majority of television series. I think your point is that you're pissed it was cancelled - not that it was cancelled prematurely. Period.

August 30 2006 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dick K.

What's up with HBO, everytime I find a show that can hold my interest and keep me coming back for more they cancel it! i.e.: Deadwood, Carnivale, etc. But they keep shows like Curb your Enthusiam, Entourage or even worse yet Big Love? Fluff seems to be the seller or is it just mindless dribble. I can say truthfully that I've never heard talk around the office about the cutesy stuff, it has always been the HBO programs that leave you on the end of your seat waiting for the next week's episode!

August 20 2006 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lark

I simply don't understand why HBO & Milch is taking Deadwood off, period. Deadwood is one of the BEST shows on HBO or anywhere else. It's almost like once your appetite is whetted, then the show is canceled (think Carnivale/Six Feet Under)and is replaced with (what i consider) a lesser show (think Rome). Deadwood is so unique and now it will be gone. No doubt replaced by something that does not have the quality of Deadwood. How many awards does it have to be nominated/win for HBO to realize it's a keeper? Don't know if the 2 hour movies will do it.

July 13 2006 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

The sets, costumes, horses, and location shooting alone would be pretty costly, I think. But there are a lot of other factors that can affect the cost. Deadwood is definitely going to have different costs attached than, say, an hour-long courtroom drama.

I'm just trying to figure this out, though: he turned down six hours in favor of four hours?

June 05 2006 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erik

The article I read mentioned that each episode of Deadwood costs $5 million to make and that the reason Milch didn't want to do an abbreviated 6-episode season was because each episode of the series takes place over one day and he couldn't wrap up all of the arcs he wanted to wrap up in "six days," but then he was willing to do two movies because "movies" would allow him to break with form and cover a longer period of time than just 6 days.

June 05 2006 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave T.

I think most comedies are like half a million an episode right? Regardless, $60 million for a season of deadwood is worth it. I'm guessing DVD sales alone have to be in the tens of millions.

I think two, two hour movies is kind of lame since the show isn't set up with short story arcs. Argh I'm so disappointed. This whole third season is going to be bittersweet.

June 05 2006 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Hall

One season of Deadwood costs $60 million? That's nuts. Or am I just grossly underestimating the cost of TV shows? There's a TVSquad piece for ya, do a comparison of TV show budgets, be pretty interesting...

June 05 2006 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply