August 2, 2014

Vargas insists she wasn't pushed out of WNT job

by Joel Keller, posted Jun 6th 2006 12:24PM
Elizabeth VargasWhen Elizabeth Vargas stepped down from her job anchoring World News Tonight, many felt that she was forced to do it by ABC higher-ups because of an unfortunate confluence of poor ratings, Bob Woodruff's injury and her unexpected pregnancy. The pregnancy angle riled up lots of people, including feminist groups such as NOW. In fact, these groups publicly criticized the network, even bringing in its treatment of the Geena Davis-led Commander-in-Chief into their tirades (talk about going a step too far...).

But Vargas insists that the decision to give up the WNT anchor chair was hers. In fact, as she tells Gail Shister of the Philadelphia Inquirer, "I played a crucial and active role in this decision. It's the best thing for me and my family and my career right now... . I have no complaints." She still wants to anchor a five-day-per-week show in some capacity -- maybe even in the mornings -- but she won't even attempt to do so until both her kids are a little older.

[via Mediabistro]

Bonnie

Miss Vargas is a talent in the news industry. Why belittle her with such stupid comments such as she didn't have the legs or she failed miserably. Take a look at yourself. Miss Vargas will return when she feels she is ready to do so period and until that time, she has her priorities where SHE wants them to be. And that's the END OF THE STORY!!!!

June 07 2006 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glenn Nelson

If anyone out there remembers, Elizabeth was a host (prior to Diane Sawyer) on Good Morning America. She failed miserably. She didn't have the legs that viewers wanted or the demeanor that is needed for the morning slot. So ABC demoted her or shoved her away to late evening and filling in for the late Peter Jennings.

When ABC had to fill the evening news they knew that Vargas could not handle the job alone from a viewer friendly point of view. Do not read into what I am saying, she can do news but has proven can't attrack views thus producing ratings and finally converted into dollars. They teamed her with Bob Woodruff and we all know the rest.

What ABC is at fault for is their sheer stupidty from the top down. Oh the newspeope that they have let slip through their miserable fingers to cable news. When they combined news and entertainment under one umbrella, that was the end. How does a smart President of a division let the likes of Britt Hume, Aaron Brown, Jeff Greenfeld and Candy Crowley slip through their fingers. ABC had gathered the finest in the news business but these anchors weren't "box office" and talent, begone!

Is this because of DISNEY? Might be, but rather it is because ABC does not wish to be a true news network, they want to be, well I'm not certain that they desire to know what they want to be.

This week for the first time in about 2 years I put on a network newscast at 6:30. Yes, I even I wanted to see Charles (Charlie)Gibson back in the anchor chair that he deserves. My vote is for Charlie over Bryan and Katie. But can I really tune out Lou Dobbs? Only time will tell.

June 07 2006 at 9:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie Koufman

Duh! Of course she was forced out, but it would be politically incorrect to admit that. Women are still second class citizens in the U.S.; it's all about "the boys," their needs and their needs for power. Furthermore, many women in this society marginalize other women. Women are very far from political and economic parity. Pop culture not withstanding, I personally think that we need to actively redefine ourselves in as non-subordinate, assertive, and politically active citizens.

June 07 2006 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Kudos to Elizabeth for making the right decision to be there for her family.

June 07 2006 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richard

why is it so hard for all the 'want it all women' out there to believe that vargas has her priorities in order? maybe she discovered, unlike alot of women, that you can't have it all,,,,,,,somethings got to give. i consider her and husband marc cohn both class acts, and my hats off to them for their decision.

June 07 2006 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RICHIE

You can't take NOW seriously anymore. They are an extremist organisation that no longer has the pulse of the average women. There was a day when they contributed to our society, now unfortunately they are the subject of party jokes.

June 07 2006 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alan

Her husband, singer Marc Cohn, was shot in the head a few months earlier and survived. Every think that may have had something to do with it.

June 07 2006 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Hunter

I wish her the best although I will miss her. And I believe her explanation.

June 07 2006 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

I have watched Elizabeth over the years. I don't think it is a lie and Charlie Gibson is a wonderful anchor and a wonderful person. Do we always have to find fault for everything. Life is much happier without controversy. Maybe she would like to just be a mom for a while. There are those of us who still enjoy being a mom!

June 07 2006 at 9:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wilbur g sharpe

she was very sour grapes.

June 07 2006 at 9:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply