November 26, 2014

The Five: The other Muppets

by Adam Finley, posted Jun 7th 2006 7:08AM

sam the eagleBack in February we discussed the lesser known Muppets on Sesame Street, those who aren't always recognized as much as their more popular pals, but are still important nonetheless. Today we're going to do the same thing for The Muppet Show. Of course, that only leaves us with about eighty billion Muppets to choose from. That's where you come in, readers, to let me know which ones I forgot. Remember, these aren't the popular characters, but the lesser players who still managed to make their mark, however small. Okay:

Lew Zealand

A few years ago, a friend called me:

Friend: Hey, help me settle an argument. What's the name of that guy on the Muppets who threw the fish?

Me: Lew Zealand.

Friend: No, my friend here says that's not right.

Me: Tell your friend never to underestimate my Muppet knowledge.

And that's pretty much all Lew did, he just threw his boomerang fish around the theater. However, he did it better than anybody.

Sweetums: One of the gigantic monsters often found hanging around the theater, Sweetums was usually harmless, though he was known to occasionly swallow one of the smaller Muppets. He also played "Jack" in The Muppet Movie, which was both his name and his job (he lifted cars, get it)? Note: Amy pointed out that Sweetums actually did play himself in the movie. I remembered the scene wrong, my bad.

Doglion Monster: Another of the big monster Muppets whose role was basically to sing, dance, and then eat other Muppets and parts of the scenery when  the sketch called for it. Doglion and other creatures like him may have seemed pointless, as they lacked the personality of the more popular Muppets, but they were essential in filling out the edges of the Muppet universe and giving it more depth.

Beauregard: Actually, Beauregard was used pretty frequently during The Muppet Show's run, but I don't think he clung to our collective conscience as much as his counterparts in the Muppet theater. Beauregard was a strong but dim-witted stagehand who was often duped into performing stupid and dangerous acts both on stage and off.

Sam the Eagle:  It's easy to dismiss Sam as being the stuffy authority figure in a world of insane creatures, but I'm sure most of us can think of a situation where we were dumbfounded by the ineptitude of those around us and just wanted everyone to act civilized already. Of course, you always have to pick your battles, and Sam's quest to maintain order and decency on the show was a futile one at best.

Okay, there you go. Trust me, my original list was much longer than five, so I'm sure you guys will think of others.

matt

After watching the season 1 DVD's I was reminded of how much Uncle Deadle freaked me out. Definitely another excellent character design.

June 09 2006 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Radio's Joe

To clear it up, Janice played lead guitar, Floyd Pepper played bass.

Everyone here can get all of your Muppet-related questions answered at the Muppet Wiki, the fastest growing Wiki ever! http://muppet.wikia.com

June 08 2006 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carmen

Lew Zealand is the muppet I was thinking of during Amreian Idol! It's Taylor Hicks' 3rd cousin.

June 08 2006 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Actually, the bassist for The Electric Mayhem was Floyd Pepper, not Janice.

June 07 2006 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Sweetums actually goes back before "The Muppet Show". I distinctly remember him in the version of "The Frog Prince" that Jim Henson productions did with the CBC in 1972. Sweetums actually had a song about eating frogs. I remember a few lines like "Froggy be Sweetums chow" and "pollywoggy froggy get a mighty pow!" In fact "The Frog Prince" also introduced Robin, although he wasn't Kermit's nephew at the time but the title character, a prince turned into a frog who couldn't swim.

June 07 2006 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pete

Lew Zealand had some screen time in 'Manhattan', where he threw the boomerang fish at the moviegoers watching a 3D movie where Scooter had taken a job as an usher/ticket taker, and the Swedish Chef was in charge of the concession...

I still quote the chef when he's throwing popcorn up in the air and having it land on his face - "Der Popcorn is 3D!!"

June 07 2006 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

Sweetums and the other big monster used to scare the crap out of me. The bassist was Janice. I dated a guy who reminded everyone of Animal. Pretty accurate comparison. I don't know if you'd consider them "other", but Statler and Waldorf are my personal faves.

June 07 2006 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SamMalone

An acquiantance in college married the bassist from the Muppets band. Well, she was at least a dead ringer for her.

June 07 2006 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evan Adams

Spectacular Post! Lets not forget the greats of Pepe, Animal, and Beaker!

June 07 2006 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed

The muppet that blows up stuff was named Crazy Harry.

My all time fav is all around weirdo: the great Gonzo.

June 07 2006 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply