Extreme Championship Wrestling on Sci-Fi Channel. What?
Okay, folks. I think you may need to help me figure out what the hell the World Wrestling Entertainment (lovingly known as the WWE) is doing here. According to a press release at their website the Sci-Fi Channel will be premiering a version of Extreme Championship Wrestling (passionately known as ECW) starting on June 13th. The series will feature an alternative brand of wrestling that is suited to the Sci-Fi audience. Huh?
Okay, let's read further. According to Bonnie Hammer, president of Sci-Fi Channel and its sister, USA Networks, ECW will bring action with a twist that science fiction fans will enjoy. Vince MacMahon, Chairman of WWE, adds that ECW will push the boundaries of sports entertainment in new and unexpected ways.
So, after reading this, I expect the following to appear on the Sci-Fi Channel's ECW broadcast:
- Venues that include lunar cities and underwater towns;
- A wrestling ring that floats above the ground;
- Lasers. I don't care if the wrestlers use them or they're strategically placed around the ring, but I want lasers;
- WWE Champion John Cena versus Og'nk'cha of the planet Alpha Centauri;
- The ability for wrestlers to transport away from danger;
- Scantily clad Amazon, warrior women.
If none of these appear on this new ECW series I'll be very disappointed and, most likely, cancel my cable.