December 20, 2014

Extreme Championship Wrestling on Sci-Fi Channel. What?

by Richard Keller, posted Jun 9th 2006 10:35AM

It's Big Show versus a metamorph from Mars on Sci-Fi's ECW.Okay, folks. I think you may need to help me figure out what the hell the World Wrestling Entertainment (lovingly known as the WWE) is doing here. According to a press release at their website the Sci-Fi Channel will be premiering a version of Extreme Championship Wrestling (passionately known as ECW) starting on June 13th. The series will feature an alternative brand of wrestling that is suited to the Sci-Fi audience. Huh?

Okay, let's read further. According to Bonnie Hammer, president of Sci-Fi Channel and its sister, USA Networks, ECW will bring action with a twist that science fiction fans will enjoy. Vince MacMahon, Chairman of WWE, adds that ECW will push the boundaries of sports entertainment in new and unexpected ways.

So, after reading this, I expect the following to appear on the Sci-Fi Channel's ECW broadcast:

• Venues that include lunar cities and underwater towns;
  • A wrestling ring that floats above the ground;
  • Lasers. I don't care if the wrestlers use them or they're strategically placed around the ring, but I want lasers;
  • WWE Champion John Cena versus Og'nk'cha of the planet Alpha Centauri;
  • The ability for wrestlers to transport away from danger;
  • Scantily clad Amazon, warrior women.

If none of these appear on this new ECW series I'll be very disappointed and, most likely, cancel my cable.

James

Great sci-fi is going the way of MTV. You'll be able to watch just as much science fiction on Sci-Fi channel as you can see Music Videos on MTV.

August 24 2006 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
S31Ender

"Even if you don't care for professional wrestling, at least show some respect. Name one other entertainment industry that requires you to be on the road every single week of the year. There are no reruns in pro wrestling, nor are there any breaks. Not to mention the fact that if something goes wrong, you could snap your neck or someone might snap it for you."

One word................NASCAR

As for wrestling on sci-fi. It's horrible. SCI-FI! WHERE THE HELL DOES WRESTLING COME INTO THAT? Oh it's fiction all right, but where is the Science?

August 23 2006 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JBeck

There are way too many good sci-fi series out there to justify what they are doing on this channel now. Personally, I find it insulting that they would place me in the wrestling demographic due to being a science fiction fan. I do, however, like Law and Order. That being said, it also has no place on this channel. It makes me wonder just where they do thier research.

July 29 2006 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cornel

When I first saw the announcement on WWC coming to SiFi it shocked the hell out of me. I thought that SiFi ment space shows and aliens and not the "BIG SHOW".
The one main reason that I keep paying for TV is because of SiFi. If your going to change to just a regular channel I will be droping the channel.
And since I am writing this I also believe that you are showing to much Ghost Hunters shows and it would be good if you continued the "Surface" show. Now I really miss that.
If you going to keep going in this direction I will be forced to look at the show "LOST" because your showing it and don't even know it.

July 07 2006 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rodnor

The Sci Fi Channel is owned bt NBC. Wrestling has no place on a science fiction-based cable channel. Someone at the top needs to be told what SCIENCE FICTION is all about.

Missplaced programming will help kill a very good cable channel.

June 26 2006 at 6:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Broncos65747

The Scifi channel is lucky to have ECW. It is the best show there channel has ever had and will ever have. You scifi nerds do not know what good tv is if it hit you with a steel chair and ECW will.

June 19 2006 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Rush

I must be getting really old .I thought Science fiction was about robots, androids, cyborgs, space and the final frontier and space exploration shows and the adventures the people experienced. Not the fake wrestling stuff of the ECW. I don't like wrestling ,never have and I suppose I never will. Isn't that why that have all the other man channels, like SPIKE TV, USA, ESPN, just to name a few. I just may have to give up watching televion all together, because I don't reality shows either.

June 14 2006 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nettyb

I'm ready to give up. I like Scifi/Fantasy. I don't like Horror but hey, I can at least accept it is in the same category as Scifi since most of it is monsters etc.

I have no objection to people watching ECW or any other program. My objection is ECW is most assuredly FICTION but WHAT is SCIENCE about it. It's also Fantasy but I'd hardly put it in the same category as Earthsea, Merlin or other such shows. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with what is supposed to be on this channel. Just because USA Networks owns it and has a contract with ECW does not mean they should put something that has nothing to do with SciFi on this channel. Where will it appear next, HGTV or the Food Network?

June 14 2006 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Buddy

The funny thing about the SciFi Channel, as of late, they don't air much classic sci-fi shows anymore. They have a different marathon show (limited choice) each day for about 6 to 8 hours. I wish they would show some of the old classic series again on a regular basis, such as Lost in Space, Babylon 5, Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, Earth 2, Seaquest, Starman, etc. It's all their original movies on most of the lineup, especially on weekends. If you look at Canada's Space Channel, they have more of an offering. What we need is the Canada SciFi channel!

June 09 2006 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hilarious..

What amazes me is this guy (Keller) writes that pro wrestling has "lied" to everyone because it presents fake rivalries and feuds, blah blah blah. Yet I am positive he enjoys a good fictional novel and or a good feature film every so often. But what he neglects to realize is that by distinguishing and singling out pro wrestling for manipulating its fan base with lies... he is in essence also damning the entire genre of "entertainment" for doing the same things.

HOW DARE any Hollywood director write a feature film that contains fictitious characters that are involved and embroiled in competitions and fake rivalries. HOW DARE the directors & producers of such feature films MISLEAD the consumer's in to thinking these feuds & revalries are actually legit! Damned be all of the Hollywood people that write sitcoms that do the exact same things on a weekly basis. Damned be any genre that is not, by his standards, a shoot (by the way, Mr. Keller that means "real".. I'm sure you are not that bright and figured I would define what the word meant so it would not go over your limited head).

I love it how his type like to dismiss an entire genre they actually no nothing about and say things that are quite frankly, absurd to damn it. Pro wrestling is pre determined. The outcome has been determined. The rivalries are not "fake" for the most part. It is not a competition where participant A wants to kill participant B for real but A certainly does want to go further in his career and perform better then B and thus it is actually an athletic competition between two parties. The outcome of the match has always been secondary to the talent itself and the performance is what they base their competitions on. But again this may be something that is too difficult for the inane to understand or 'get'.

He would readily cheer for some fictitious cheesy film that depicts to people competing in a fake sport (i.e. basketball) and champion the film as something special then respect a genre that sends out men to beat the crap out of each other on a nightly basis. In the end it is a shame that he did not ask this question directly to the face of someone like Dr. D or Van Vader, so he could change his name from Richard Keller to David Stossel.

June 09 2006 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply