July 30, 2014

Firefly's Morena Baccarin joins Stargate-SG1

by Richard Keller, posted Jun 14th 2006 9:41AM

Another sci-fi refugee joins Stargate SG-1Add another science fiction show refugee to the ever-growing sanctuary known as Stargate SG-1. Morena Baccarin, who portrayed Inara Serra in the short-lived Fox series Firefly and the subsequent movie Serenity, will be joining the Sci-Fi Channel series for a number episodes this upcoming season (which begins on July 14th).

Baccarin will play Adria, the evil daughter of Vala Mal Doran (Claudia Black, who becomes a regular on the series for the 10th season). According to an interview at The Scifi World, Morena really enjoyed playing the truly evil Adria and she tried to balance that cruelity with a likeability. She also reveals that she had quite a bit of trouble finding her way around the set due to contact lenses that she wore for her character.

Stargate SG-1, which premiered on Showtime back in 1997 and moved to the Sci-Fi Channel after five seasons, is currently in the record books as the longest-running, scripted, made-for-cable television series broadcast in the United States. It has become a home for wayward science fiction stars lately, especially last season when Claudia Black and Ben Browder, formerly from the series Farscape, joined the cast.

ohadi

I repeat, the more scifi the better. Dr.who, Stargates,
BSG, and any reruns of andromeda,firefly and even dark angel. What is the problem with more scifi less reality tv. I love to watch and will continue. And yes SG-1 is my favorite. Does anyone else love the bad guys on the gates, Slimy Ba'al, creepy Michael and I can't wait for Baccarin with spooky eyes. All very 3d and yet still evil.

July 28 2006 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GaryP

I watched every episode of Stargate SG-1 from the pilot to the season finale that kicked off Atlantis. That really felt to me like great closure. When SG-1 came back for another season it felt wrong, and I just couldn't keep my interest past that point. I watched a few more episodes, but for me the magic formula of SG-1 seemed spent. I watched a few episodes of Atlantis and felt that it didn't come close to living up to its premise. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I just couldn't keep watching.

Now Firefly and Farscape were both completely brilliant. My understanding is that Farscape suffered from extremely high production costs. I could certainly see how that could be. I miss the show, but I can see how the math would work in its favor, and I think that the mini-series ending was respectful of the show, its actors, and its audience.

Now, Firefly suffered from not being what Fox wanted. They wanted another Buffy spin-off because they knew they could sell that. What they got was completely different. They didn't want completely different. Joss suffered from thinking that the fans were his clients. Fox executives were his clients. What fans got was very little of a brilliant show.

It's more than a little amusing that SG-1 has become a workfare project for wayward SciFi stars. With the addition of Baccarin, I may just give the "new" SG-1 another try.

July 25 2006 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James B

I can't wait to see how Morena Baccarin fits in with the SG-1 storyline and if she does well I do hope that she becomes a regular. You do have to admit if her acting is as good as she is Beautiful, she will do great. I just happen to find her so seductivly attractive, and I know that some of you will laugh but Amanda Tapping's character Sam Carter is extremely HOT... She is super smart, she is sexy, and she can kick butt what else does a man need :)

July 24 2006 at 12:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James B

I guess that I am one of the few Sci Fi junkies that loves all 4 of the current shows(SG-1, Atlantis, BSG, and Dr Who). I also loved Firefly and Roswell(both of these could have gone on much longer if maybe there would have been more forethought with regards to storylines), and yes I do know that Roswell was an older show. Regarding Atlantis, you have to admit that the cast is superb, and the city being of such great size will allow for so much discovery regarding the ancients before their ascention and these adventures can be applied to not only Atlantis, but SG-1 as well. This concept if used can take the characters of Atlantis on enough adventures that they could literally rival the longevity of SG-1. Yes there will need to be a mixture of exploration of the city and of new planets, and yes once the wraith have been defeated it leaves the door open to other species that will rise up from the dark corners of the pegasus galaxy to fill a power vacuum. But then again thes are just my thoughts. Last but not least I hope that the Sci-Fi channel continues to invest in these great shows so that we may have many years to come of great Friday night programming.

July 24 2006 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roxanne Wickersham

I might be a little late speaking up, but I Love the Stargate shows and loved Farscape and Firefly/Serenity! I can't stand the new Galactica and could care less about Doctor Who?! I like the shows because I feel like I can have fun right along with the characters.

July 23 2006 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James Ross

OFF topic!

Battlestar Galactica's first incarnation suffered from failure to read previous episodes. The new one suffers from a prozac shortage, though. Either one is good, but make sure that you don't watch too many original series episodes in a week...

Doctor Who suffered mainly from being formatted for half hour episodes. I mean who could make these plots that drawn out and boring? Thank goodness that they're finally making one hour episodes.

SG1 is a good show with a lot of twists and turns. It's amazing that they were able to keep going so long. Atlantis is a natural, yet surprising outgrowth of SG1. Both are good shows that belong on TV. Sorry if they don't appeal to everybody. (That job belongs to the Bee Gees, or so I've read.)

Welcome Morena Baccarin! Sorry to hear that you're going to be the Big Bad... Hope ya got a good insurance plan! ;-)

July 22 2006 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han

I've watched SG1 for 6 years and have probably seen all the episodes (thanks to the Monday night reruns). I continue to be intersted because not only are the writing, acting, directing, and production values above average, but the characters have real, honest realtionships with each other. Despite the sci fi genre and all that entails, the characters and their reactions/situations are grounded in reality.
Any of the "Earthlings" could be someone you know, a neighbor, the relative of a friend.

Also, I enjoy a show that doesn't take itself too seriously. So many tv shows and movies are self- important. SG1, even with all the hype about how long it has been around, doesn't take itself too seriously. I think this in itself is very endearing. Especially as so much of the entertainment industry gives the impression that their product is on par with a cure for cancer or HIVAIDS.

July 22 2006 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han

July 22 2006 at 1:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Han

SG1 is funny, doesn't seem to be overly full of itself. The acting, directing, writing, and production values are consistent and well above average. Every time I;ve begun to get bored something occurs to peak my interest. This is why I watch SG1 adn will continue to do so.

July 22 2006 at 1:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StargateLover

Stargate is great for many many reasons, i have been watching from the start. Please tell me the appeal for Doctor Who. From what i have seen bad bad cg effects trash cans as bad guys very bad acting. People want that instead of Stargate.....come on.

July 21 2006 at 4:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply