August 20, 2014

The Five: Best fake bands

by Adam Finley, posted Jun 14th 2006 7:05AM

the electric mayhemOkay, now that we've covered the best bands on television, it's time to put our focus on those bands that, while maybe not "real," still had us tapping our feet, shaking our hips, and waving our hands in the air, almost, dare I say, as if we didn't care. Below are five that spring to mind, but I'm sure you guys can come up with a ton of others. Let's strike up the band, shall we?

Dr. Teeth and the The Electric Mayhem: Okay, let me see if I got this right. Floyd Pepper was the bass player, Janice was the guitarist, Zoot played saxophone, Animal played drums, and Dr. Teeth sang and played piano. I think that was the lineup of this insane band that "played" the opening and closing music on The Muppet Show, not to mention all their great performances during the show. I wonder how many current drummers got into it because of Animal? I'll bet quite a few.

The Nairobi Trio: Obviously, The Ernie Kovacs Show was before my time, but if you can catch clips of it on television or anywhere else, I encourage you to watch because he created some of the funniest moments to ever appear on the small screen (and he was a big influence on the look and feel of Late Night with Conan O'Brien, too). "The Nairobi Trio" was a band consisting of three men in monkey suits who played like mechanical toys, twisting and jerking as they played their instruments and occasionally bonking one another on the head. It's physical comedy, so I can't really do it justice here, and besides, that's what YouTube is for.

The Monkees: The Monkees are kind of iffy, because they were all real musicians, but only occasionally played their own instruments. Putting that aside, however, they were also gifted comedians and their show was incredibly funny. Their movie, Head, however, wasn't all that funny. At least, it wasn't "Ha ha" funny, but call me weird, I liked it anyway.

Cyanide: This band appeared only once, on The Simpsons episode "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge" as the band for Otto's ill-fated wedding to the young nanny who drives Marge to the insane asylum. They're a loving tribute to Poison, and they need a ride home.

Josie and the Pussycats:  I'm not sure of the veracity of this claim, but according to Wikipedia, the Hanna-Barbera cartoon series Josie and the Pussycats featured the first black female cartoon character. Well, she was probably the first black female cartoon character dressed as a cat, I'll give them that. The show was essentially Scooby-Doo with an all-girl band in place of the Scooby gang, but whatever, chicks rocking out is always cool, even if they are just cartoons.

veektor

If we allow movies, then Nick Rivers "Top Secret" (Skeet Surfing USA!).

If just TV, then Octo Raymond and His All Mollusc Orchestra from The Tick.

June 19 2006 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Denny

Sorry but I cannot agree with any fake band list that does not include Spinal Tap.

But this amp goes up to 11.

June 15 2006 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erika

can't forget Barbie and the Rockers.

June 15 2006 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

The Junkyard Gang from Fat Albert deserves mention as well.

June 15 2006 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

Your point is well-taken. :)

June 15 2006 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Television's Kynan Barker

Here comes the mandatory friendly nit-picking from a Muppet fan:

"Floyd Pepper was the bass player, Janice was the guitarist, Zoot played saxophone, Animal played drums, and Dr. Teeth sang and played piano."

That was the lineup all right, except to add that vocals were shared between Floyd, Janice and Dr. Teeth, and while he could and often did play piano, Teeth's instrument of preference was an electric keyboard.

"I think that was the lineup of this insane band that "played" the opening and closing music on The Muppet Show, not to mention all their great performances during the show."

Actually (and confusingly), the opening and closing themes were performed by the Muppet Orchestra, whose members included Animal, Floyd and Zoot, with Rowlf on piano and a miscellaneous female trumpeter. The Muppet Orchestra was led by Nigel the Conductor.

Don't take it too personally, nobody but a hardcore Muppet fan would have known all that. And we hardcore Muppet fans have no friends, so you win.

June 14 2006 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison

What about the Dregs of Humanity from It's Your Move? They were the best skeleton band ever.

June 14 2006 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

A second for Mystik Spiral from Daria; but didn't they change it to 2 Y's? ;)

June 14 2006 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emmitt

What about that puppet cowboy group that performed on the Barbara Mandrel show. From what I recall they were pretty good.

June 14 2006 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike K

One of my favorites was "Mystik Spiral" from Daria.

June 14 2006 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply