November 22, 2014

The Tonight Show: No fireworks between George Carlin and Ann Coulter

by Michael Sciannamea, posted Jun 15th 2006 12:47PM

Jay LenoI haven't watched The Tonight Show in a while. I much prefer David Letterman to Jay Leno anyway, but I find it a greater struggle to stay up past 11:35 PM to watch late night television. However, I wanted to watch The Tonight Show last night because both George Carlin, one of my favorite comedians, and Ann Coulter, who has been gathering much attention lately for her caustic commentary on the 9/11 widows, were going to be on the show. I thought there would be some major fireworks between Carlin and Coulter and would make for terrific television. I thought wrong.

After Leno's monologue, Carlin comes out and does a boring routine featuring all the latest buzzwords and phrases in sort of a stream of conciousness rap. Usually, George Carlin is a brilliant commentator on current events as well as joking about everyday life, but this set bored me to tears. I couldn't wait for it to end. It probably wasn't more than 5 minutes long, but it seemed more like 50 minutes.

Anyway, she comes out and Jay Leno simply blows it. He doesn't challenge her on any of her recent statements, he doesn't engage her in any real conversation. He basically lets her spew off lines like "I wear their (liberals) contempt as a badge of honor!" What horses**t! To top it off, George Carlin just sits by and doesn't say a word. Not one single word! What the hell is going on here! You would think that George Carlin, one of the most brilliant comedic minds around and someone who would give Ann Coulter a run for her money, would get in on the conversation. Again, I thought wrong.

Now, it could be that NBC brass told Leno not to engage in any debate with Ann Coulter for fear she would say more wild and hysterical crap that would offend their viewing audience. They may have even put the clamps on George Carlin not to say anything either. As far as I'm concerned, this show was a complete waste of time.

Do I think Letterman would have done a better job of "interviewing" Ann Coulter? I don't know--but Letterman is taped in New York and I don't think Ann Coulter would find an audience there that would whoop and holler for her.

I may be stretching this a bit, but I somehow think NBC condones Ann Coulter and her points of view. She appears on The Today Show occasionally, and now she gets a free pass on The Tonight Show. What next, her own variety show?

Alek

Quote: "Leno then interviews Carlin, which was fairly uneventful. Then Ann Coulter comes out and, much to my shock, she gets a warm welcome from the audience. Are you kidding me? This hypocritical, abusive, loud-mouthed, hysterical screech gets cheers, whoops, and hollers from the audience? Am I missing something here?"

Well, yes. You missed the fact that the other guy's "routine" bored everybody to tears, so I imagine any change in set would be a good one. Lolz. In anycase, that show sucks. I didn't even know Leno was still on the air. David Letterman is better, but he's still no good. The fresh faces are Jon Stewart(believe it or not) and Stephen Colbert.

August 06 2006 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

What I am reading about the Leno show that was on last night has convinced me more than ever how unfunny and boring Jay Leno is. As for Ann Coulter, She is a disgrace to all policial parties. She's a disgrace to women, (if she really is one) have you seen that adams apple on her,him? I have never heard such vile, ugly, nasty words as what comes out of that mouth. If I was running for for office, I would never want her to support me. That woman is so nasty, I wouldn't let my dog in the room to hear her. And Carlin, I was a fan of his for years, but I think old age has taken it toll on him. Since he lost his beloved wife, he hasn't been the same. I wasn't surprized to hear he wasn't himself last night. Anyway since I never could stand Leno you all have given more reason to never watch his show, Sandy

August 02 2006 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Coy

Leno gave Ann Coulter an opportunity to take back or explain her insensitive 9/11 comments, but she chose to be her usual caustic self, a troll, trolling to get a reaction and some attention. I think Jay let her make a fool of herself without getting his hands dirty. Carlin did the right thing, ignored her. Both Leno and Carlin kept her moment on television reasonably short and moderately intertaining. She was clueless about how poorly she came across.

June 30 2006 at 2:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patty james

I failed to watch Mr. Leno's Show,so I cannot comment on what did or didn't happen,but I will say this-I don't know much about Mrs. Coulter's beliefs or even Mr. Carlin's. I have heard he was an aethiest-but don't know that for sure. I will say this-I would never condone slandering a widow for any reason-whether it be about fame and fortune. These women did go through more than we will ever know or want to know.
What they do with their share of the money is their decision. I do however agree with her in the fact we are a Godless Nation-How dare we repay to God in the horrible ways that we do!If I were him-I would be ready to end the existence of this planet and try to save all of the Noahs that are left! We are standing in the middle of Soddom and Gomorrah, slavery-just to keep us in our favorite fashions-disease and pestilence-birds flu-aids-and WE DON'T SEE IT!!!!!!!1
I'M SORRY,BUT CALL ME JOB-THE TIME IS NEAR-but yet we go on as if we are totally deaf and blind to what's going on.
Buffet and Gates are getting rid of their wealth-I wonder why? There's our first wake up call-give up your riches since it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven!
Let's not throw rocks at each other-after all, we are in this together for the existence of mankind!

June 27 2006 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KestrelBrighteyes

I was an avid Carlin fan back in the 70's and early 80's, but I went to see him live about 10 years ago, and I must say (sadly), he's pretty much lost his edge.

As far as Coulter - I'd not watch her on any show for the same reason I'd not watch the grand wizard of the KKK, or ANYONE on the Jerry Springer show - her remarks are ignorant, hateful, redneck, and bigoted, and that's just not entertainment for me.

And I don't think she'd EVER have the guts to do the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

June 18 2006 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MonsterSound

George possibly thought it wasn't his place to invade another guest's time (jeez George), who knows? But I can dream of what an interjection could have been:

Jay: "George, you look like you want to jump in, care to debate Ms. Coulter?"

George: "No. I can't debate with her. Not that I don't want too, but, it's kinda like why we don't execute the insane or retarded. Nothing I could say can reach her. Not fact nor logic nor even an appeal to the heart. She's either a sociopath looking for the biggest shock value to sell her book regardless of truth, damage to fellow Americans or Country, or she's delusional and truly believes the bile that she spews despite reality. Either way, she has pushed the bar into the mud, and I can't reach her. Perhaps a professional could help. But, sociopaths with a heap of narcissism are rarely cured."

June 18 2006 at 12:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

Not soon enough for me!

June 17 2006 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mali

Jay Leno's contract was not renewed he is gone in a few years! Suffer no more!

June 17 2006 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fred

In other words, Carlin has become a corporate slave. I'm just glad I skipped watching the show. Can't stomach Leno anyway.

June 17 2006 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marc klink

I did not see the Tonight Show with Ann Coulter and George Carlin, but....

1st question : What relevant information does she have that needs to be communicated on late night television. She is neither insightful or funny, so what is the point?

2nd question : Why should George Carlin have to keep quiet? Although he might not have been up for the challenge. He has been THE funniest man on the planet until about 2 years ago, and I am still a huge fan, but in the last 2 years he just isn't that funny, that incisive, or even that clever.

3rd question: If you've been watching Leno to see a great interview you must be......high? Great interviews went away with the last host. Johnny knew how to be funny, and rip some idiot like Coulter a new one in such a clever way even she would be amused. Leno was hired because he was funny in the monologue, which is all many people watch anyway. When Leno got the job Letterman wasn't any better, but he has gotten much better at interviewing, maybe even become skilled at it, as his show is much better for that. The really bad news is that when Leno leaves Conan will take over and completely alienate the rest of NBC's nighttine audience.

June 17 2006 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply