October 1, 2014

Ben Affleck: Magnum P.I.

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jun 16th 2006 6:13PM

Ben Affleck with Tom Selleck's moustache.Reports are circulating that producers of the film adaptation of Magnum P.I. have their sights set on Ben Affleck to take on the title role.

The 1980s series starred Tom Selleck as a private investigator who worked in Hawaii. It had been known for some time that Selleck himself wanted to reprise the role in a feature adaptation but it's common knowledge that Selleck is way too old to be as cool as he was in 1983. Supposedly, Hollywood big-wig Brian Grazer is behind the remake.

At right is an artist's rendering of what Affleck may look like with Selleck's moustache.

[via StarPulse]

George Kiellman

You just can't touch Selleck as Magnum...He made the character. There's no reason to make a Magnum movie without the real Magnum. I know that neither I nor anyone that I know would waste our time with a non-Selleck Magnum movie.

July 03 2006 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Forbes

I don't know why they could not use the model of the Rockford Files Movies of the 1990's, same cast, brought up to date with references to the past. At 70 James Garner was obviously showing his age, especially in chase scenes getting out of his truck, but never the less it worked well and Tom Selleck is not too old for it, he is Magnum just like Garner is Rockford, Adam West is Batman etc.

June 22 2006 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah D.

NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY could play Thomas Magnum other than Tom Selleck. I can hear Higgins now.."Oh my GAWD!" Unless it's Tom Selleck, I'm not watching it. I can put my money to better use buying the original Magnum PI series on DVD.
There are so many story lines they could create around a slightly older Magnum. How about a wedding of Magnum's daughter to Orville's son? (okay so on the show Rick didn't have a son, but by now he could have)

June 20 2006 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melvyn W. Foster

Who carved it in rock Thomas Magnum has to have a paintbrush under his nose because Selleckso played it?Have you seen Selleck without it?What's his mouth look like?Can you show a bare one on TV?I think not.So he has a paintbrush under his nose,unhappy with his face.
Affleck can take that role to more than once around the block in feature productions exactly as he is and we all know it.That booogercatcher on him backfires. He's a cleanshaven good actor.Sign him as is.Get it on.

June 19 2006 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carly

First of all Ben is sexxy! I loved Magnum PI as a kid, and I think he'll do a great job. Remember that show Hunter? That was awesome!

June 19 2006 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C

Isn't there a petition or something we can start? Any movie remake of a tv show is awful, but come on - leave this one alone while we still have good memories of it. The movie idea is bad enough, but Ben Affleck as Selleck? That's a worse idea than Euro-Disney and stirrup pants combined.

June 19 2006 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

Tom Selleck has charisma! He is handsome, charming, quick-witted , intelligent and a very talented actor!
This only gets better with age. He IS Magnum and no one else can do it like him. Don't make the movie without Tom Selleck. Look what happened to James Bond....Everyone still thinks "Sean Connery" when you mention James Bond.

June 19 2006 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

PLEASE, Affleck vs SELLECK ? Affleck is the worst. If Selleck wants do it then have him do it. Otherwise don't make the film. That's like having Jennifer love Hewitt as Xena. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN and I like Jennifer love Hewitt but it's not real. It will bomb!!!!

June 19 2006 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ILBELLE

They must be KIDDING, right? Even disregarding the fact that we're all sick of the "remake" films, there's absolutely NO WAY that Ben Affleck could fill the shoes of Tom Selleck's "Thomas Magnum". If the film makers can't bring the original cast back in a sequel type film, then they shouldn't touch it at all. Give it a rest, Hollywood producers!

June 17 2006 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Conroy

Selleck is the key person for this role. It can pick up the story line of the series by catching the audience up on how he did not die (last episode of Magnum) but came back. Higgins is now dead but left a portion of the estate and some cash to Magum. So he has continued in his P.I. work and his helecopter and bar owning buddies are still there as well.
Give him a good case. Something that is interesting and not just a bunch of explosions and car chases.
Hook him up with a case involving Sam Elliott playing an old war buddy.

June 17 2006 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply