December 22, 2014

Dan Rather: Now in Hi-Def!

by Anna Johns, posted Jun 17th 2006 10:12AM
dan ratherSince CBS no longer needs his services, Dan Rather is reportedly mulling over an offer to host a weekly news program for HDNet. The network is owned by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. The deal would establish Rather as the host and producer of a one-hour news program. Rather told The New York Times that he also has offers from two other networks but he's leaning toward the HD thing.

I don't have HDTV so I've never seen the network but, I have to wonder, does 74-year-old old-fashioned newsman Dan Rather match with the network?

Dick Martinicky

What a wonderful opportunity for Dan. Now he can embarass himself without fear of repercussion. What a tremendous venue for someone with such openly biased and slanted opinions.

July 11 2006 at 6:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

He definately fits in with HDNet. Washed up (but good) shows make up a lot of the programming...

Knowing Mark though, it will be innovative.

June 20 2006 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jets_ya

I don't get HDNet in my area, but Dan should go for it. Get a fresh,new start with a new generation. I would think his speaking fees are really up there, though. It will be interesting to see if he goes for the speaking tour, or resurrects his fine new career with HDNet. Go dan, go!

June 17 2006 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher J. Arndt

I found it ironic and stupid that a man whose entire profession involves speaking and telling people things by speaking... has a spokeswoman to speak for him.

It's like Bruce Lee hiring a bodyguard.

June 17 2006 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trevor

He doesn't exactly fit the most desireable demographic but, I guess he would lend a bit of credibility to the station...or maybe not...

June 17 2006 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

I'll tell ya one thing: Seeing Dan's craggy face in Hi-Def would be scary enough, never mind whether he matches the network's tone.

June 17 2006 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply