August 27, 2014

The View: Sandra Bernhard sparks catfight

by Annie Wu, posted Jun 18th 2006 12:43PM
Hasselbeck vs. BernhardComedienne Sandra Bernhard recently appeared on The View. She made a few remarks about Mariah Carey's album and an immediate tension grew between her and Star Jones. Then, Bernhard made a some politically-charged comments, calling Laura Bush "heavily medicated", and Elizabeth Hasselbeck jumped to the First Lady's defense. Claws came out, everyone started talking at once, Joy Behar stalked off for a few seconds, and I suddenly remembered why I can never sit through ten consecutive minutes of this damn show. Whenever an argument starts, all the women start talking over each other, louder and louder, until all their shrieks turn into a unified wail, too high for human ears. For a while, I thought I accidentally sat on my remote's "mute" button, but then I saw my neighbor's dog's head explode.

There's video here if you really feel the need to see it.

Jimm

That show is a waste of time, and the idiot beeyotches on there are wastes of good sperm.

July 25 2012 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dolores

i think elizabeth gets too emotional about alot of things. she should let the guests say what they want... after all isn't she their host?

June 20 2006 at 11:06 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

It was all blown out of proportion. Star Jones wasn't offended by the Mariah Carey remark, she just took it seriously for a second until she was informed that Bernhard was joking. In fact, I would say that Bawbawa Waltews made a bigger deal about it (i.e. "I've interviewed Mariah Carey, and she said..."). Bernhard was just joking around saying "ooh Star's gonna git me". Hasselbeck took issue with it just because no one else ever takes the conservative stance; it was a weak argument only because it was in response to a joke. Joy Behar got up because Bernhard and Hasselbeck were shouting over her, and she was smiling the whole time. She didn't get very far. This stuff happens on the show all the time; it really wasn't that big a deal. Amusing, at most.

June 19 2006 at 7:11 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Ladi

The mistake is taking up for Laura Bush.

June 18 2006 at 11:09 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Hassleback is the newby of the group, isn't she? No wonder she doesn't know when, (and with whom, in this case), to hold her tongue. Sandra Bernhard may have opinions, but she is still just some comedienne, nothing more nothing less. There's no point for Ms. Hasselback to jump up to the defense as if a respectable and well-read person, unlike Sandra Bernhard, just dissed Laura Bush. If she had a witty and cutting retort, then maybe, but she made the mistake of taking the "heavily medicated" comment a little too seriously

June 18 2006 at 4:26 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply