October 25, 2014

Deadwood: I Am Not the Fine Man You Take Me For

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jun 19th 2006 9:32AM

Deadwood; W. Earl Brown; Titus Welliver; Ian McShane

(S03E02) Episodes like this are the reason why people were so ticked at HBO for being stingy with the season four funds. Actually, I really shouldn't put it that way. Any episode of Deadwood is reason enough for the outcry. This one especially, though.

Picking up right where we left off last week, I'm guessing it's probably the following morning. The mental chess match between Hearst and Swearengen is in full throttle as the two continue to jockey for the upper hand in the camp.

Using his bodyguard (I don't get why they call him "The Captain") as the go between, Hearst sends Al a sealed envelope. The contents are a crude layout of the Gem with some X's and O's drawn in. I think the entire point was Hearst putting Swearengen's mental faculties to the test. What he had sent him were the positions Al's killers would take in the bar. If Al cracked Hearst's treasure map (which he did) and figured out what in the hell was going on - adios to Hearst's hired hands. If he didn't, Al would no longer be a player in Deadwood.

While dragging away the two bodies (Al slit one guy's throat and Dan took care of the other), one of the deceased let go some posthumous gas. Johnny commented, "that'd knock a buzzard off a shit wagon." That would have taken best quote of the episode had it not been for Al's quip about seeing Johnny's rear-end through his longjohns flap earlier in the episode: "Would you close your flap that I don't forego my boiled eggs?" I really want to sit in on a writer's meeting for this show.

OK, back to the episode. Alma's condition is getting worse and Doc Cochran attributes a lot of it to the pregnancy. Even though Alma expressed her desire to keep the child, it seems an abortion is the only option. At first I thought a premature delivery was being discussed... until Trixie said she's had seven and was still healthy. Before going under, Alma speaks with Bullock and essentially cuts Ellsworth out. Bullock and Martha tend to Sofia and it seemed that Ellsworth wasn't too happy about that. Not to mention the fact that he married Alma because of the pregnancy in the first place. I'm thinking that marriage might be over sooner rather than later.

As evening fell, the election speeches finally took place. For the mayor's seat, EB's only competition is Sol. EB combated his very Jewish opponent with about two minutes of anti-Semitic gibberish. Offensiveness aside, it was pretty damn funny. He hit just about every stereotype from crooked noses, to Moses and the Exodus, to circumcision - all done with that flair for idiocy that EB embodies so well. Best scene of the episode if you ask me.

Cy is still recovering. Joanie stopped by to see him and admitted that many of her suicidal tendencies have stemmed from the life she's chosen. Tolliver wanted to hear none of it and Joanie accused him of being the Devil. Ironic that he was holding a Bible. Later, when the Reverend Cramed visited, it became clear that Cy wasn't so saintly after all when he pulled a pistol on the man who stabbed him. He never shot Andy though. I really thought Cramed was going down.

Bullock and Martha seem to be getting along much better. They're far more flirtatious and they bicker about things that couples bicker about, like tea strength. Other than that, Bullock was removed from this episode for the most part.

As usual, the ending was a shocker. Al once again met with Hearst, this time under The Captain's gun pointed at him. When Swearengen refused to help Hearst acquire the Garret claim, Al's fingers met the business end of a crow bar. I'm not sure which end is the business end... I suppose they both are. Al stumbled out into the street, bleeding, laughing - ready to retaliate. He will. I think last week's episode title might have been more appropriate here: tell your God to ready for blood.

D.FOWLER

I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE IS NOT GOING TO BE A 4TH SERIES, I LOOK FORWARD EVERY SUNDAY AT
9PM FOR THE SERIES, MY SUNDAY'S WILL NEVER BE THE SAME I GOT SO USE TO SEEING DEADWOOD, AND NOW IT WILL SOON BE OVER,WHO CAN WE TALK TO OR SIGN A PETITION TO CONTINUE THE 4TH SERIES OF DEADWOOD? ALOT OF PEOPLE WILL BE VERY UNHAPPY AND I'M SURE THE PEOPLE OF DEADWOOD S.D.WILL HATE TO SEE THE SERIES GO.WHEN I WENT TO DEADWOOD S.D. ON MY VACATION LAST YEAR THATS ALL THE PEOPLE TALKED ABOUT AND THEY WERE SO EXCITED ABOUT THE NEW SERIES THAT WAS COMING UP,I'M NOW GETTING DEADWOOD MAGAZINES,AND BOUGHT THE CD-MUSIC, OF THE FIRST SERIES, AND I HAVE BOUGHT THE DVD FIRST SERIES, AND I RECORDED THE 2ND SERIES,AND NOW THE 3RD SERIES I'M A TRUE FAN AND
ALWAYS WILL BE.THERE COULD NEVER BE A BETTER SERIES OF THE OLD WEST LIKE DEADWOOD....

July 11 2006 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SANDRA

THEY CAN NOT CANCEL DEADWOOD. WHAT CAN WE DO. i WOULD PAY $5.00 TO THE GREEDY ...........TO SEE IT.

June 29 2006 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SANDRA

ARE YOU SERIOUS, THEY ARE GOING TO CANCEL THE SHOW THAT IS NOW MY COMPLETE LIFE, JESUS, MARY, AND JOSEPH. THEY CAN'T DO THAT, WHAT A BUNCH OF HORSE SHIT. WHAT CAN I DO?????????

June 29 2006 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Seltsam

Wu is in San Fransisco getting workers for Hearst's mines. He 'won' the contract last season when Al's men killed the San Fransisco c***s***er.

June 23 2006 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cool Ray

Where's Woo? Don't tell me was the first victim of the budget cutbacks. Bodies are piling up and the pigs are no where in sight. I love the conservations between Woo and Al. I feel ashamed of myself but I love Al. He's the man.

June 21 2006 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lulu

You can find transcripts of each Deadwood episode (free gratis!) offered by a great Deadwood fan called 'Turtlegirl76' at www.hbofanclub.com. The newest one is up now.

June 20 2006 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

HBO deserves credit for all the original stuff they've put on thru cable. Really great stuff ahead of its time. however, they need to focus on what makes them great and stick with shows like deadwood.
But i guess if there aren't enough people watching, what can they do? Would you pay $5 / episode?

June 20 2006 at 3:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin Thomas

Awesome series. It'd be a tragedy for it to not have a full 4th season.

June 19 2006 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ahalya

This season has been great thus far, although I personally balk at the brimming relationship between Seth and Martha. To have them fall in love/lust is a betrayal of everything between Seth and Alma, which Seth is yet to face, by the way. His inability to respond to her hearbreaking and courageous "I regret nothing" indicates a man who is still fundamentally repressed. Is it just that he feels more righteous in loving Martha that he could allow the woman he claimed to love potentially die without as much as an affectionate word?

For all the flaws of its characters, Deadwood rocks. Have I commented that Chris Albrecht is a f***ing c***sucker for ending this series? The so-called movies they plan to lend closure aren't even on the agenda as of now. It will be a long time in coming if at all. If HBO thinks they will get a dime out of my money for increasingly network-y shows (Big Love aka Desperate Housewives and Lucky Louie aka Everybody Loves Raymond) they have another thing coming.

HBO Cancels Deadwood = We Cancel HBO

June 19 2006 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myron

This season has been great. Al has become such a likable character. He's great fun to watch. But what happened to the Al of the first season? He was terrifying. So malevolent. You kept worrying he was about to maim or kill Trixie. Yes, Al still commits violence, but against Bad People.

Also, is there a transcript of the show somewhere. I feel like I'm missing some of it because I can't keep up with the complex dialogue.

June 19 2006 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply