July 24, 2014

Entourage: One Day in the Valley

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jun 19th 2006 1:42PM

Entourage; HBO; Adrian Grenier; Jerry Ferrara

(S03E02) Only Ari Gold could make sex sound so glorious and painful at the same time.

Ari [to his wife, promising sex later that evening]: "We're gonna dent that headboard. No bullshit. I guarantee you! You will not walk right tomorrow."

I'm fairly certain that line is one of the top ten funniest things I've heard in the last year. Of course, that could change fast because we are only on the second episode of the season.

Aquaman is out. The official release day has arrived and Vince and the boys decide that maybe they should go see the film in an out of the way theatre. So they drive out to the valley and encounter rabid fans, intense heat, and no electricity. That poses a problem. The heat has lead to rolling blackouts that have extended as far as San Francisco. They even lost power during the screening the guys attended... right as Vince ("Aquaman") was about to go and wrestle with a giant tsunami sized wave. Not gonna lie, the movie looked pretty cool but it wasn't as slick as that Japanese commercial Vince made last season. I loved it when Turtle yelled at the theatre manager for refunding the tickets because everyone had seen half the movie already. Revenue is all that matters though.

So that became the focus of the episode. With electricity going out all over the place, would Aquaman generate enough revenue to topple Spiderman as the number one opening weekend gross? At first Ari seemed to think it was possible but after the lights went out at his couple's therapy session, his opinion changed. Can't make money if the theatres can't even turn the lights on.

So the guys are stuck in the valley. Traffic lights are out too and every major highway is gridlocked. They end up tagging along with some high school nerds to a nearby graduation pool party. Everyone gets trashed from cheap keg beer, Vince screams from the roof, and then he makes some wishes come true for those two nerds. First he sets them up with a couple of girls and then he gives them the Maserati - for keeps. At least until the lease runs out. Nice guy, that Vincent Chase.

Other things I enjoyed:

• Turtle calling Drama elderly.
  • Lloyd being scared of Ari's wife.
  • Everyone, including Ari, shotgunning a beer.
  • Drama wrestling the giant high school jock and getting his ass kicked.
  • Turtle knowing his way around the area because "the best rub n' tug in California used to be next door."

When all was said and done, Aquaman beat out Spiderman for highest grossing opening weekend. That makes Vince the biggest thing in Hollywood right now. I wonder if he can actually handle all that fame because thus far, he's seen nothing like this. Sure, Head On was a big film and he enjoyed great reviews in Queens Boulevard. But Aquaman is a James Cameron film. In the world of Entourage, this is the first big thing Cameron has directed since Titanic that isn't some weird documentary about the ocean. The boys are in store for one crazy season.

dacaplan

Things always turn out well for Vinny Chase and that's OK, the drama of the show comes from his struggle to get there in the first place. The problem with this season so far, IMO, is the one note plots. It seems like I'm waiting for something to happen each time and then the show ends. What made last season so enjoyable (aside from the many memorable one liners) was that the plots were a little more complex and we had more than one thing going on in each episode. Hopefully things will get a little more interesting as the season progresses.

June 20 2006 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vincent Chase

Good lord, what an impatient group we have here. Don't you think the writers are smart enough to know that not EVERYTHING can go right for these guys? Of COURSE there will be drama. But it will be sprinkled in. Remember, it's a comedy. Look for:

-Vince will have problems working out how he will bang 50 girls a night
-Vince will realize that the richer he gets, the richer everyone else gets...and that will bother him
-Ari will realize Lloyd is an illegal immigrant and his bitch wife will get bitchier

Settle down. Take it from me...I know

June 20 2006 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

Dear ladies and gentlemen who are concerned about the lack of drama,

It's The SECOND episode!

Calm down. While the show IS mostly a comedy about a rising star and his entourage they've always had their fair share of drama, and I'm sure there will be plenty to come this season.

I was very pleased with this episode, much better than the first one of the season. I'm very excited for this season, and seeing how Vince deals with being a huge star.

June 19 2006 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
da man

Ati marching into the office and taking a cooler to Llyods little asin good luck charm was as classic a scene as they will ever come up with

June 19 2006 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

I guess that's my point. If their lives are nothing more than a series of good times, then there's nothing to root for-- there's not payoff. The best episode in the shows history was last season when Ari was fired, because it provided some actual conflicts that the characters could play off of-- and it was funny. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

June 19 2006 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jp

This season has been fun, with our 4 heroes on a roll, but I'm also noticing the lack of conflict. Even the "rolling blackouts" threat turned out to be a red herring.
Can the show stay interesting if everything just keeps coming up roses?

June 19 2006 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

I almost fell off my couch when Drama convinced that guy not to go to the bathroom during the movie. This is one of the funniest shows on TV.

June 19 2006 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brett

This show makes me feel worse about my life every time i watch it.

June 19 2006 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T-Raveling

This show isnt about dramatic events. Its a comedy about 4 guys who make it big in la la land. The comedy comes from the situations they are put in. I have no need for mandy moore drama on this show ever again.

June 19 2006 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

Does it frustrate anyone else that the only drama in this show happens to be a character named Drama? I can't think of another series where the characters have such good luck-- maybe that's the appeal, I guess.

June 19 2006 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply