November 23, 2014

The Five: Best spaceships on TV

by Adam Finley, posted Jun 19th 2006 8:01AM

starbug red dwarfOkay, this one is for the sci-fi geeks. There's a few "space" shows I've watched and enjoyed, but there's far more I haven't seen, so help me out and let me know what your favorite television spaceships are. Below are five television spacecrafts I wouldn't mind being beamed onto, as long as they gave me a laser gun to protect myself, and maybe a large bucket of deep-fried tribbles ( I hear they taste like shrimp). Let's cruise:

The USS Swinetrek: This was the pig-shaped spacecraft from one of my favorite Muppet Show segments, "Pigs in Space." I always found myself intrigued by the adventures of Link Hogthrob, Doctor Strangepork, and first mate Miss Piggy. The episode with Mark Hamill where he appears on the spaceship as Luke Skywalker and Miss Piggy won't let him leave until he "rescues" her is one of my all-time favorite Muppet episodes.

The USS Enterprise: Yeah, I know, this one is obvious, but it's still an awesome spacecraft. I mean, that amazing "beaming" function, and those doors that open by themselves? I haven't seen anything like that since, well, since I went to Walgreens yesterday. While many fans will tell you the ship was powered by a warp drive, I personally believe the ship was powered by melodrama and overacting.

Red Dwarf: The mining ship from the hilarious television show of the same name. After going into suspended animation and surviving a radiation leak that kills the rest of the crew, Lister wakes up three million later, stranded in outer space with the hologram of a dead crewmate (Rimmer), the ship's computer, Holly (who changed from male to female at one point), a human-like creature evolved from his pet cat, and Kryten, an android whom they rescued in a later episode. This may be the biggest ship on this list, which, according to Wikipedia, measured five miles across.

The Jetson's Car: If I were to have my own spacecraft, it would be something similar to the flying cars used on The Jetsons. You know, something small, compact, and convenient. Also, I like my spacecraft to sound like a little kid rapidly flapping his lips with his index finger.

Talyn: I tend not to gravitate toward science fiction shows, which is a shame because I didn't get into Farscape until very close to the end of its run. Still, I couldn't help but admire the show's imagination, and the concept of a spaceship that was itself a living creature was absolutely brilliant.

dumbstart

Just for the record, the Millenium Falcon was on TV, or has every fanboy finally surpressed the memory of Life Day in the Star Wars Holiday Special? So technically it could be said that it was on TV, just not in it's most glory.

June 26 2006 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Jeremy

Seriously...no TARDIS?

As for the chants from the Browncoats, wake me up when your television show runs for 26 seasons (instead of not even 1), and then is later revived for more and becomes a smash hit again for the second time.

June 23 2006 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

Even with the comments, this list is nowhere near five miles across.

June 20 2006 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I can't remember the name of it but those cool white ships the rangers used in Babylon 5... those were always my favorites (actually all the ships on that show were awsome).

June 20 2006 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

I feel the starship voyager is close to
reality;the super drive is about to be
revealed,so,consider the technology at
my site titled:The physics of interstellar
travel.

June 20 2006 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
guider

Liberator - a flying Gothic cathedral. Beautiful ship

W

June 20 2006 at 4:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
damnitvigile

As a long time 'Scaper ... Moya is a far superior. What about Sky-Lynx from Transformers? Your list stinks.

June 19 2006 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve

1. Enterprise (original series)
2. Galactica (new version with the retractable landing bays)
3. Interceptor (Gerry Anderson's UFO series)
4. The Arc (Starlost)
5. Defiant (Deep Space 9)

June 19 2006 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bec

What about Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis's ships? The Prometheus, the Daedelus, all the Goa'uld mother ships, the Al'kesh's, etc?

And I agree, how could you not mention Serenity?!

June 19 2006 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Add my vote for the firefly-class ship, Serenity. Those fireflies are gorgeous.

June 19 2006 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply