November 21, 2014

A bunch of free television shows now on iTunes

by Anna Johns, posted Jun 22nd 2006 11:22AM
it's always sunny in philadelphiaThere are all sorts of free previews on iTunes right now. You can see the pilot for the new ABC Family series, Kyle XY, about a guy who has no belly button (seriously- he's lifting up his shirt in the promotional photo).

There are also three free episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the FX comedy about four friends who own a bar. It co-stars Danny DeVito and looks pretty darn funny. There are also some 'Extras' and other episodes of Philadelphia for the usual $1.99.

I also found one free episode of Invader Zim, an old new cartoon from Nickelodeon that I can't even begin to explain.

And there's a rap music video called Rollin' with Bob Saget.

Oh, and there's video of Brian Williams talking to Bono in Africa. Wahoo.

SuperFan Ken

Looks like the added push for IASIP is working. I watched all of the free stuff from iTunes and now my TIVO is set to start recording the show. It's not the funniest thing I've ever seen, but it is fresh.

As far as Invader Zim... I've loved it for years, but I already own the DVDs. Except for the freebie I don't see the need to download it to my iPod.

June 24 2006 at 12:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Lack of a belly button or not, it's still a pretty sexy poster for a show that's on ABC Family. Pat Robertson must be just thrilled! :-) Maybe he'll leg-press an extra 1,000 pounds out of frustration.

June 22 2006 at 10:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I would compare IASIP to 'Seinfeld' in relation to the basic premise - they never learn anything from their adventures and there are no redeeming very special episodes.

And it's funny as hell.

June 22 2006 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonburn

@Keith McDuffee

I thought the same thing when I saw the poster at the mall... didn't notice the missing belly button. Just figured it was another OC type show geared towards chicks or something.

June 22 2006 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

Jefferson is correct. IASIP is back for its second season. And if we're clarifying here, the three guys own the bar, not four. The fourth is a sister of the one, who works their as a waitress.

Great show, totally worth watching. And the free eps on iTunes are from Season one, definitely go see it if you haven't yet.

And, in my opinion, "Friends" doesn't even deserve a mention in the same breath with this show. "Curb" is way closer to target though. Dark show, great acting, fantastic writing.

June 22 2006 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Donovan

I found the pilot to WB's "Nobody's Watching" on You Tube. Quite possibly the frog's last efforts to create buzz on a show before it becomes CW.

June 22 2006 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

HAH, so *that's* why the poster for 'Kyle XY' has him lifting his shirt -- I didn't notice he was missing the belly button. When I first saw the poster, I was assuming the plot of the story was he was going to turn out being a pregnant man or something. Then again, if that was the case the show would be called 'Kyle XX'.

June 22 2006 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jesse Thorn

Philadelphia was around last season, as well, though it largely passed under the radar. A very funny show, sort of a breezier "Friends" with some darker "Curb Your Enthusiasm" notes.

June 22 2006 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jefferson Burns

Not to be all correcting you and all but It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is not new. The second season starts on June 29. It had a seven episode first season that began last August.

June 22 2006 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply