April 25, 2014

Damon can't play a young Kirk, can he?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 22nd 2006 6:00PM
Matt DamonWe've heard the stories this week that director/producer J.J. Abrams is interested in having Matt Damon play Captain Kirk in an upcoming movie about Kirk and Spock. But something troubles me. All of the articles are saying that Damon will play a "young" Captain Kirk. Huh? Damon is going to be 36 in a few months, and will probably be 37 or 38 when the movie comes out.

Shatner was 35 when he did the original Star Trek.

Now, sure, they could mean (like Keith says) that they mean younger than Shatner now, but they can't mean that or we could get someone 60 and compared to Shatner that would be "young." I think this is really a matter of everyone who's writing about it misunderstanding what exactly the plot will be and just repeating the same line about a young Kirk, as if it means young = before the original.

Florence

I have to agree with Sean, above, a reinvisioning is the most logical.

July 07 2006 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

He's not casting for an "Academy Star Trek." He's casting Damon as a complete reimagining of Star Trek with new actors in the same roles. Think Battlestar Galactica on SciFi.

Dirk Benedict may have been in the original, but they cast a blonde hottie to play Starbuck in the new series.

This new version will NOT be Kirk at the Academy.

June 28 2006 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trevor

Depends at what point in his career they start from. If it's "academy days" then no. If it's as he starts his command (I think Kirk was supposed to have started as a very young captain), then I think he'd be great. I can't think of anyone that would be a better match. A good Spock is going to be tough.

June 26 2006 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Hallelujah! Somene else realizes what I did....that Damon is too old to play a young Kirk!

Thank you!

June 23 2006 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I commented on that in the original post. Damon's too old to be playing an Academy cadet. I don't care what they do with hair & makeup. I think he could do maybe even a good job at playing Kirk at the same age he was in the TV series. But everything that's been written about this JJ Abrams movie has it in the past, when they were back at the Academy.

June 22 2006 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TonyinLA

there is a lot of time between Cadet Kirk and Captain Kirk.
- Ensign Kirk
- Lt. JG Kirk
- Lt. Kirk
- Lt. Cmdr Kirk
- Cmdr Kirk

June 22 2006 at 10:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ttheTVaddict

I'm definitely looking forward to whatever JJ decides for Star Trek. After loving ALIAS, LOST and FELICITY - and even liking Tom (I'm Not Crazy) Cruise in MI3.. I fully trust JJ tot make an amazing film.

June 22 2006 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Don't you know 36 is the new 25, so it should be okay!

June 22 2006 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TedSez

In "Ocean's 11" and "Ocean's 12," Damon's character is clearly supposed to be a young, inexperienced "kid." (At one point his parents have to come and get him out of jail.) I think the part was written for someone 22 or so, and he looks at least a decade too old in it. So I guess the folks in Hollywood think he's a lot younger than he actually is.

June 22 2006 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

LC- supposedly this new trek story is going to take place at the academy during Spock and Kirks time there (which if it is going to be within continiuty wont work since Spock and Kirk were NEVER at the academy together)

June 22 2006 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply