July 26, 2014

Maybe now we can accept that Chung isn't a newsperson?

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 23rd 2006 8:29AM
I remember the first night of Connie Chung's highly touted CNN show a few years ago. The one that lasted about 3 minutes, like most of Chung's shows do. She had Jon Stewart on as a guest, and she said to him - in all seriousness and with a straight face - that he should consider being a network news anchor. The look on Stewart's face was priceless. Was she serious? In fact, if I remember correctly, Stewart couldn't even hide his shock, asking, "are you serious?" She was clueless, ill at ease, and embarrassing.

That came to mind after watching Chung's performance on the last episode of her dreadful MSNBC show with husband/sleazemonger Maury Povich. Now she's telling everyone (including Keith Olbermann last night) that it was a joke! She was just kidding!

Um, Connie? No shit it was a joke. No one in their right mind has thought otherwise. Everyone thinks it was just weird.

I've been writing for years that Connie Chung is a terrible newsperson. So I'm hoping that this caberet act will finally make producers and other news execs finally slap their heads and say, "don't hire this woman for the news." Maybe she can join hubby Maury on his show. Maybe she can sing during commercial breaks, or run paternity results back and forth to the lab for Povich.

James Kabala

I believe that Connie Chung's local news days were so long ago that there was no Fox then.

June 23 2006 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Red

If you do something that has to be explained over and over, maybe you didn't use the best judgment in doing it in the first place! Connie Chung is a joke, and I also think Katie Couric is just slightly more credible. I remember watching an interview she did with Dennis Quaid a couple of years ago that made me cringe. It was like a 14 year-old girl was doing the interview. A lot of giggling and touching. Very, very embarrassing!

June 23 2006 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J

I worked on Connie's CNN program and I knew the first day it would not last. The Jon Stewart thing was surprising and there were many other moments that made me cringe. The whole concept of the program was doomed to fail from the start on CNN. It wasn't material suited for the cable network.

I will say this about Connie though. Regardless of what people think of her or her abilities she is a class act. She is intelligent, warm and witty. She does not take any of this too serious as witnessed by her singing. I have worked with a lot of self-absorbed, pompus blowhards that believe the world evolves around them and the news they do. Connie to her credit knows it's just tv. She is walking away laughing.

June 23 2006 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Was it ABC? I could have sworn it was Fox. Oh well, call it early-onset memory loss. Regardless, I couldn't stand her then and now she's just a joke. I will accept floggings for my mistake from 1:30 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. only, after that you'll just have to settle for the smug satisfaction of being right.

June 23 2006 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

Fox News? I thought she was on ABC in NYC. ...

June 23 2006 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd Lokken

Every time I see the clip of her final 'act' now, I can't help but think of the Linda McCartney singing "Hey Jude" cut that made rounds some time ago.

June 23 2006 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Well, Bob, at least we agree on something for once - I never liked Connie even back in the day when she was just a correspondant for the local Fox 5 news (hey, I didn't have control of the remote back then). We used to groan at the TV whenever they'd put her on. I can't say I've really followed her recent "work" any deeper than simply being aware of it, but I did see the farewell debacle on YouTube. Ridiculous. And if that woman wasn't drunk, I don't know what drunk is - and believe me, I know what drunk is.

June 23 2006 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply