July 29, 2014

Showtime cancels Huff

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Jun 23rd 2006 11:29AM

HUFFSad news here. This morning Showtime announced that Huff will not be back for a third season. The decision was made after numbers for the second season didn't exceed the low ratings of the first. I suppose it's nice that we at least got two seasons because if you recall, Showtime president Robert Greenblatt gave the second season a greenlight before the pilot even aired. If that hadn't happened, I might have been posting about this a year ago.

Hank Azaria and the rest of the cast were notified of the news earlier this week. They should feel proud of what they did accomplish though. A best supporting actress Emmy for Blythe Danner and nominations for Azaria and Oliver Platt are nothing to be ashamed about. And who knows if they'll get any more nods this year.

I'm especially disappointed by this as are some of my fellow TV Squadders. Heck, we even interviewed show creator Bob Lowry twice! Everyone should tune in to the season series finale this Sunday though. I've already had the opportunity to screen it and you won't be disappointed.

Holy

I am VERY VERY VERY upset!! This (was) my all time favorite show!!!! Showtime SHAME on you!!!!!!!!!!

September 13 2006 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslie

I cant believe it. Showtime you need to get a grip. While shows like the L Word are fun to watch the writing is pitiful. Huff was so darn good and to cancel it, is just a digrace. Dead Like Me, Huff whats next Weeds?

September 13 2006 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat Fraley

Great show shitty job promoting

September 07 2006 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AW

Fucking Showtime Idiots! This was one of the few character-rich shows that was worth watching. Time to cancel.

September 05 2006 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

I was very surprised and saddened to hear that Huff was cancelled. Huff is one of the best written, acted, intelligent shows on cable today. The entire cast is superb. The story line is incredible. Each character has been brought to an edge that could only explode into season upon season.
Showtime should have tested Huff's audience support -before pulling the plug. Showtime should remember the audience pays to watch their programming -giving them a sense of partnership. The audience's power is to eventually not subscribe. Showtime's decision was a bad one to say the least.

September 03 2006 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Loretta Melville

IS SHOWTIME CRAZY. Huff was one of the very few best shows on TV. Up theirs.

September 02 2006 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paulo Leoni

Uma sacanagem o canal showtime acabar com uma serie exelente dessas !!!

We, brazilian people, are very very frustated about that sad news... I cannot understand why showtime ends with one of the most incredible series ever. The fan will never know what could happen with Russel as a father, or Huff being crazy day after day, or his mother taking care of Teddy, and also Beth getting divorced.
Showtime sucks !!

September 01 2006 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hugh Jorgan

I am extremely disappointed that Huff was cancelled. I thought it was the best show on television.

August 30 2006 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Christopher

The only reason I have s Showtime subscription is because of this show! I didn't know it was cancelled until Blythe Danner accepted her emmy on Sunday. I have already cancelled my subscription to Showtime as of yesterday since Huff was the only reason I held on to it to begin with. This was such a good show with the best acting I've seen on television. And the writers behind the scenes, well they impressed the hell out of me! I think the failure of this show lies in the hands of the marketing department. You know Seinfeld was such a rating disappointment the first few seasons as well and look what it ended up doing for NBC. Sometimes you just have to stand behind a product (in this case a show) and let it grow.

August 30 2006 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natalie Gallays

So disappointed. Huff was our favorite show on TV by far ... We got really attached to the cast and characters.

August 29 2006 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply