October 25, 2014

Bridget Loves Bernie coming to DVD

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 26th 2006 1:15PM
David Birney, Meredith BaxterCan I tell you what kind of a 7 year-old I was? Besides watching cartoons and action shows and The Brady Bunch, in 1972 I also loved a little romantic comedy called Bridget Loves Bernie.

The short-lived Meredith Baxter and David Birney CBS show (yup, they later got married in real life and she became Baxter-Birney) is coming to DVD on September 5. It will be a three DVD set.

It was a rather daring comedy at the time because it was about a Jewish cab driver who falls in love with a Catholic schoolteacher. I don't know if I understood any of that in 1972, but I remember liking this show a lot for some reason, so I think I'm going to get the DVDs.

OneCharmingBastard

R5, it was in color, as was all of CBS' schedule after 1967.....

June 27 2006 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gus Jenkins

Was the show in Black & White or color? My family did not get a color TV until 1976.

June 26 2006 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Well then, I guess this means that the DVD collection of "He & She" is going to be out soon. :-)

I was 12 when B-l-B was on tv and while I don't remember anything specific about it, the title has always been floating around my brain and I often wonder if it was as good as I rember.

June 26 2006 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

First of all, happy birthday to me! I was 7 in 1972, as well, which makes me (gasp) 41 today. Booooo! And I LOVED Bridget Loves Bernie. I can remember when Family Ties came on and I was so excited to see Bridget in another series. It should be a lot of fun to have it on DVD. Family has been announced, too. Big TvOnDVD day for those of us from the TV generation.

June 26 2006 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

It was a great show - fifth in the ratings in its one an d only year and nicely sandwiched between "Mary Tyler Moore" and "All In The Family" - a delightful little romantic comedy that died because of particularly spineless network weasels at CBS. They were afraid of protests from Catholic and Jewish groups. If this show were on today it would still be on even if it wasn't as big a ratings hit as it was back in 1972.

June 26 2006 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trevor

You're not alone. A lot of people really like and remember this show -- pretty impressive considering it had a short run.

June 26 2006 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply