October 31, 2014

FOX chief makes funny joke

by Bob Sassone, posted Jun 26th 2006 3:09PM
FOXFOX network chief Peter Liguori says that he's looking for great comedy shows for the network, and encourages writers to pitch him ideas:

"We have the best time slot on television to launch a show...if you're a comedy writer with a great idea, FOX is the place to come."

Two words Peter: Arrested Development.

Oh, I know, I know, the show isn't coming back. I'm not whining about it, and I'm not even saying it should come back. My point is that Liguori would make a statement like this with a straight face. FOX has had many great comedies over the past 10 years, and they've either canceled them, shuffled them around the schedule, or replaced them with lesser comedies.

You have the best time slot to launch a comedy? Hey, cancel The Loop and you'll have two.

LC

Kel, I don't know where you get your demographic information from, but you couldn't be more wrong. Fox's dramas and comdies aren't that far removed than many of the other networks. NBC had its share of lowbrow with Joey or any of the other crapfest shows that were sandwiched between Friends and Seinfeld over the years. CBS even had success with horrible low brow comedy like Yes Dear.

While Fox may have renewed some pretty bad shows, it is "high" brow shows like the Simpsons and Malcolm in the Middle and That 70's show that were both critical and ratings successes.

I know people get pissed when good shows get cancelled, but ratings, costs and revenues are what make and break a program. To this effect Fox ABC, NBC and CBS are all in the same boat.

June 27 2006 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Doc: I stand, at least somewhat, corrected. I didn't know Bob had the assignment of covering the show at the beginning (and I think if I'm guessing correctly, Bob has a say in who gets what show). That being said, Fox aired seven episodes this season, and TVSquad (and Bob) stopped covering it after the six. I think six is about right for shows that TVSquad wanted to give a chance at the beginning of the Fall season before they gave up on them (Reunion is the only one that comes to mind... But I think they stopped earlier than six episodes. Smallville is another that seams to get spotty coverage). I, FWIW, gave it three episodes before I balked on it, just for the sake of Mimi and Phillip Baker Hall (And Eric Christianson... I can't spell his name, but I thought he was funny as hell in 'Not Another Teen Movie.'). Speaking of Fox comedies that I gave less, the War at Home lasted (barely) one episode, and I think Rapaport is great.

All THAT being said, I'm the guy that thinks the sitcom is dead. I NEVER liked Arrested Development, and would join the bandwagon of wishing people would give it up (And to prove that I'm a hypocrite, I'd consider myself a Browncoat, and i'm still pissed at the cancellation of Firefly, the Inside, Reunion, and Wonderfalls... I have my own reasons for hating Fox). Though, I do love the hell out of How I Met Your Mother.

June 27 2006 at 3:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocko

LETS ALL LISTEN TO WHAT BOB SAYS AND BE CONTROLLED LIKE SHEEP!!! HERD US BOB, HERD YOUR SHEEPY PUBLIC AROUND, YOU SHEEP-HERDER!!

June 27 2006 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doc

Dorv, do a search for The Loop on the site and go back and look at the recaps. Bob was assigned, or chose (I don't know how TVSquad works that), to cover the show. His posts did turn into, as R R put it, "constant and endless complaining with nothing new to add week after week."

I'm not saying that because I like The Loop everyone has to like The Loop. Bob, and anyone else, can go right on thinking it's a steaming pile of crap, and that's just ducky. However, I would question whether that is what TVSquad wants to be. Or what TVSquad readers want to read. Look at all the shows that are on TV that don't get recaps on the site. I would suggest that if there is nobody on staff that actually likes the show, then let it go uncovered. If one of the writers wants to do an 'I hate The Loop' post, fine, but doing it weekly in the guise of a recap is pointless.

And I'll jump on the just freaking get over Arrested Development already bandwagon.

June 26 2006 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Dude, if people don't watch a show, it's not going to stay on the air. That's it. Get over it.

AD aside, however: Andy Richter Controls The Universe. Futurama. Greg The Bunny. Keen Eddie. Just to name a few.

June 26 2006 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kel

Arrested Development died because it was on the wrong network. The typical Fox watcher favors low-brow humor. Arrested Development relied on subtle humor most of the time, and it just didn't fit the audience. I know people are going to take this comment as a slight on Fox viewers, but it's not. People just have different tastes, ya know?

I wonder especially in light The Office's success (which took time to build) if AD would have done better on NBC.

June 26 2006 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

I loved AD, but even before they moved it, when it was on Sunday nights following either Malcom or The Simpsons, I forget, it lost more than half the viewers of their lead in.

Sure Fox has kept lower rated shows on, but that is because ratings aren't everything. The cast and staff of The Loop couldn't possibly make as much as Ron Howard, Jeffery Tambor or the great ensemble cast AD had.

June 26 2006 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

R R: So you think the Loop was funny? As much as you're entitled to that opinion, Bob (and, you know, a lot of of people) think the show is horrid. But that's opinion, and who cares?

What I don't agree with you on is this bit, "That way, if some of your readers like the show but you hate it it doesn't sound like constant and endless complaining with nothing new to add week after week? I know it sounds harsh but this blog has the potential to be something that welcomes lots of different readers with lots of different tastes rather than it being eight different "look at what TV this guy is watching" blogs combined into one."

First, Bob doesn't do a weekly post on the Loop, so there's no call for someone else. It happens to be, as far as I can tell, his favorite punchline for crappy shows right now. Its his site, its his post, its his perrogative.

Second, who said this site isn't already one that welcomes different readers with different viewing tastes? We're two readers with (obviously) different viewing tastes. Looking at the comments sections of different posts, you'll see that there is often well voiced disagrement on a variety of different shows and different genres.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I just completely disagree with you.

June 26 2006 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Barrett

I don't know Bob, maybe it's time to get over it.

The fact Arrested Development lasted three seasons is outstanding. Instead of slamming Fox for cancelling a show that did terribly in the ratings for three years, how about we actually congratulate them for sticking with a series for as long as they did, despite it's terrible ratings.

In all honesty, Arrested Development was beginning to show some wear and tear by it's third season. It was still a quality watch, but it wasn't anywhere near as funny as it had been in the first season.

Ultimately, isn't it best to go out while on top, rather than to fade away?

June 26 2006 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

The Loop is actually a funny show. But since Bob doesn't like it, it only gets disparaged on this blog. I have an idea: instead of having the bloggers follow a show for an entire season, how about rotating? That way, if some of your readers like the show but you hate it it doesn't sound like constant and endless complaining with nothing new to add week after week? I know it sounds harsh but this blog has the potential to be something that welcomes lots of different readers with lots of different tastes rather than it being eight different "look at what TV this guy is watching" blogs combined into one.

June 26 2006 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply